Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
Exactly. Obama announced his campaign in February 2007. Obama's time as a dedicated Senator was short, but it was at least a couple of years. Rubio would have a month.

edit: not saying I doubt a Rubio run because a lack of Federal experience, just that the timing wouldn't exactly line up.

It'll be interesting/incredibly painful to watch what happens in the Republican primaries. Just going on this election, we'll probably see the more sane part of the GOP start to coalesce around one candidate with the Tea Party people (Palin Beck etc.) supporting another. Ultimately, only one will get the nomination and it'd be interesting to see what the Palin crowd would do if it wasn't their person.

I believe the Tea party crowd would be fine as long as it isn't a retread like Newt, Huck or Palin. GOP on a shorter leash with a lot of voters than the Dems are. yeah, they both suck, but if the Repubs go right back to business-as-usual when they get power again, they will lose it for a long, long time.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
if the Repubs go right back to business-as-usual when they get power again, they will lose it for a long, long time.

At least IMO...that long, long time = the time it takes for a Democrat to get back in office for them to rally around.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
I believe the Tea party crowd would be fine as long as it isn't a retread like Newt, Huck or Palin. GOP on a shorter leash with a lot of voters than the Dems are. yeah, they both suck, but if the Repubs go right back to business-as-usual when they get power again, they will lose it for a long, long time.

Huh? She's one of the loudest voices of the segment of the tea party crowd actually getting people nominated and elected.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Huh? She's one of the loudest voices of the segment of the tea party crowd actually getting people nominated and elected.

See, THAT is where I think she has the most power, is in organizing things on local and state levels. She draws those crowds in. The GOP should have her go to battleground states, and even pick districts, and just mobilize people n that one area. Then go to the next, and so on. She just doesn't have it at the national level. The 'gotcha' factor is too high, and the MSM has such a hardon for her the negative press would be endless and counter=productive. Dems may not like her, but she has sway in a lot of these races.

I just cannot stand Rick Perry. I would vote Green/Purple/Martin/Butthole party over either him or Obama... I think he's my equivalent of Obama with the ® behind his name. I'd rather punch the damn screen then listen to his drivel. He's such a damn slimeball.

If Perry can somehow avoid a total budget meltdown in 2011, I"ve seen projections as high as a $28 million deficit, he'll be in a good position for a national run. Texas will have to tap our rainy day fund, but will probably chug past the problem.

Maybe not as Prez, maybe VP, but I'm convinced he'll run, and run well on a national stage. And he'll carry Texas, unlike Gore who failed to carry his home state when he ran. On the bright side Kap, we've sent our rejects to Washington before and it wasn't all bad.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
If Perry can somehow avoid a total budget meltdown in 2011, I"ve seen projections as high as a $28 million deficit, he'll be in a good position for a national run. Texas will have to tap our rainy day fund, but will probably chug past the problem.

Maybe not as Prez, maybe VP, but I'm convinced he'll run, and run well on a national stage. And he'll carry Texas, unlike Gore who failed to carry his home state when he ran. On the bright side Kap, we've sent our rejects to Washington before and it wasn't all bad.

A $28 million deficit? That might be the smallest deficit in the country.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
billion shmillion. just raise taxes.

Or allow gambling. Seems that gambling interests poured a lot of money into Perry's campaign chest. There have been plans mentioned for gambling in a few areas, including the winter Texasn havens down here. South Padre is mentioned a lot.

i'll be interested in seeing how the GOP nomination process goes in the next 12-18 months.

If this riff between the moderates and tea party continues to grow, they may shoot themselves in the foot (aka- Alaska, Delaware, Nevada senate races)

If the 2008 schedule is still in place, it would go like this.

1. Iowa

2. Wyoming

3. New Hampshire

4. Michigan

5. Nevada

6. South Carolina

7. Louisana

8. Hawaii

9. Florida

10. Maine

I could easily see the Tea Party favorite winning #1/2, losing 3/4 and then grabbing the nomination after nailing 5/6/7.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
i'll be interested in seeing how the GOP nomination process goes in the next 12-18 months.

If this riff between the moderates and tea party continues to grow, they may shoot themselves in the foot (aka- Alaska, Delaware, Nevada senate races)

If the 2008 schedule is still in place, it would go like this.

1. Iowa

2. Wyoming

3. New Hampshire

4. Michigan

5. Nevada

6. South Carolina

7. Louisana

8. Hawaii

9. Florida

10. Maine

I could easily see the Tea Party favorite winning #1/2, losing 3/4 and then grabbing the nomination after nailing 5/6/7.

I think they'll struggle in Iowa too, which tends to be pretty moderate.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Sarah Palin paid off a lot of people in the GOP establishment in Iowa. If she runs, she's got solid institutional support I would bet.

Yeah that part I just don't know about, I have no idea of the ground games that any of these candidates have put together. But it seems like Iowa has tended to go after someone other than the national favorite in recent cycles. Obama beating out Clinton and Edwards was a surprise at the time, for example. And remember, this is a state that made more ground on gay marriage than most others, despite being a mostly rural state.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Yeah that part I just don't know about, I have no idea of the ground games that any of these candidates have put together. But it seems like Iowa has tended to go after someone other than the national favorite in recent cycles. Obama beating out Clinton and Edwards was a surprise at the time, for example. And remember, this is a state that made more ground on gay marriage than most others, despite being a mostly rural state.

And each judge that ruled in favor of gay marriage has been pushed out this last election.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
It certainly was the main issue brought up by their opposition in campaigns.

didnt some major out of state group, dump hundreds of thousands of dollars and voter drives into just the judicial races to knock them out?