How well will the Twins play outdoors on grass?

VAfan

QUOTE (everafan @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
They aren't a punch and judy team anymore - they will hit for sure. Pitching TBD.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb,219770

This. Be fully ready to be annoyed, it's kind of clever, but seeing it over and over again, I guess it's not unlike hearing the fireworks at USCF go off...but certainly a sure sign that their team has become the Chicago White Sox and we're now the Twins.

I'll admit I don't know the roster of the Twins that well any longer. But their team used to thrive on the slap grounders that would make it through a turf infield that often won't make it through grass and dirt. And they needed that because they were never a strong HR club.

Ironically, the Sox are less of a power club now when power will probably play better in Minnesota.

My only other note at the moment is Thome will not be helped by a short RF porch. He's a CF and LCF HR hitter, not much of a pull guy.

For some reason I used to like checking the weather outside of the dome last season and so many times it was s***ty while inside of course it was perfect. I want to see how they do with rain delays and wet fields and wind and cold and soaring humidity, all of the elements that other AL central teams deal with consistently at home. And while the turf is notoriously rough on knees and backs, I wouldn't rule out more injuries as a result of the changing weather, in particular, the cold to start and end the season.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
For some reason I used to like checking the weather outside of the dome last season and so many times it was s***ty while inside of course it was perfect. I want to see how they do with rain delays and wet fields and wind and cold and soaring humidity, all of the elements that other AL central teams deal with consistently at home. And while the turf is notoriously rough on knees and backs, I wouldn't rule out more injuries as a result of the changing weather, in particular, the cold to start and end the season.

like every other team i mean they played 81 road games the adjustment is small

if you think because there not in a dome now and the sox all of sudden will beat them in minny your mistaken. it wasnt the dome that beat the sox there it was the twins. i mean the angels yankees and others beat the crap out of them last year in the dome . maybe the dome had something to do with some of there wins but come on be realistic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)

On average, Minneapolis is drier during the summer months than most midwest cities. Its not like baseball outdoors is something new in Minneapolis. It also seems a lot of people think the Twins never win a game on the road. They had the best road record in the AL Central last year. In fact, their road record has been better than the White Sox road record in 3 of the past 4 years, with 2008 being the exception and the difference was game 163. They were 1/2 game worse on the road.

Most teams win more at home, and its not necessarily 100% the park. There are tons of other factors. In fact, I read an article a few years ago when they were going to start testing for greenies, that players being off them, and its no secret a very high percentage of players used them, would lead to increases in home team wins due to travel, late nights, etc.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
On average, Minneapolis is drier during the summer months than most midwest cities. Its not like baseball outdoors is something new in Minneapolis. It also seems a lot of people think the Twins never win a game on the road. They had the best road record in the AL Central last year. In fact, their road record has been better than the White Sox road record in 3 of the past 4 years, with 2008 being the exception and the difference was game 163. They were 1/2 game worse on the road.

Most teams win more at home, and its not necessarily 100% the park. There are tons of other factors. In fact, I read an article a few years ago when they were going to start testing for greenies, that players being off them, and its no secret a very high percentage of players used them, would lead to increases in home team wins due to travel, late nights, etc.

That's just it. It doesn't have to be some huge difference. All the Twins have to do is fall back a single game in both of the last two years, and they don't have a playoff game in either year. I have a hard time thinking that the Metrodome didn't deliver a single win to the Twins in 2008 and 2009. Honestly, there is nothing to suggest that 2010 is going to have a team blow away the field this year either, so it could be a single Dome bounce not happening that potentially changes the race this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 05:32 AM)

I wasn't trying to suggest a dramatic difference. It may not be any different or who knows, maybe they'll play even better. I'm just saying that I look forward to seeing how they do. Remember that f'n miserable game the sox played against baltimore, that day game that ended up being finished in Baltimore? Cold, rainy, s***ty. That, I want to see them have to play more games in that. I still think it's an advantage when you play 50% of your games in an environment that does not change at all. But we'll see.

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 04:51 AM)
if you think because there not in a dome now and the sox all of sudden will beat them in minny your mistaken. it wasnt the dome that beat the sox there it was the twins. i mean the angels yankees and others beat the crap out of them last year in the dome . maybe the dome had something to do with some of there wins but come on be realistic

Maybe, maybe not. Over the last several years, the Sox seemed to perform worse in Minneapolis than they did in road games against other good teams. Members of the organization often chalked it up to "playing in the dome," everybody talked it to death, and it seemed to feed on itself. The dome itself is not magic, but it's possible that the team developed something - call it a mental block, intimidation factor, whatever - that explains the abnormally bad play up there. (The fact that the Twins seemed invincible in the dome against the Sox, and were far from invincible there against other teams, actually supports this point.) Seems like a reasonable possibility that a "fresh start" on a new field could help turn Minnesota into a normal road destination rather than a house of horrors.