Competitors for the open bullpen slot

scenario

Who do you think wins the 7th bullpen slot, if there is one?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which reliever makes the pen...

• Daniel Cabrera
    • Sergio Santos
    • Dan Hudson
    • Jhonny Nunez
    • Freddy Dolsi
    • Brandon Hynick
    • Carlos Torres
    • Clevelan Santeliz
    • Someone not currently with the team
    • No one - no 7th man will be taken

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
Santos has the raw stuff to be our version of Carlos Marmol. If he could even reach half that level of results, we'll have a hell of a pitcher.

Come on now. He is no where close. No way, no how. Comparing santos to one of the nastiest pitchers in the game will not have many signing up to agree with you. At least i should hope not. How i see it is both have control problems, which is most definitely to be expected from santos, and the slider is their best pitch. Their comparison pretty much ends there. The biggest reason being is there is next to nothing to work off of to evaluate santos.

You have to have very limited expectations for someone who is turning 27 in three and a half months who is yet to pitch a full season worth of baseball in any league... regular season and off-season combined. For the organization to expect results in which santos benefits the team seems beyond foolish to me, i would even go as far as saying it's irresponsible. I know, i know, waivers! I don't doubt that he can get by on smoke and mirrors for a limited time (handful of innings) but the control will catch up to him sooner rather than later.

Miguel Asencio move on over.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
Come on now. He is no where close. No way, no how. Comparing santos to one of the nastiest pitchers in the game will not have many signing up to agree with you. At least i should hope not. How i see it is both have control problems, which is most definitely to be expected from santos, and the slider is their best pitch. Their comparison pretty much ends there. The biggest reason being is there is next to nothing to work off of to evaluate santos.

Did I ever say that Santos has the results that Marmol has? The numbers? The pedigree? The long-term potential. No, i did not. The . Because that would be a ridiculous statement. one conclusion i jumped to was one of wishful thinking. Marmol is fastball dominant with a nasty slurve; Santos is fastball dominant with a developing curve. They're both converted position players, and both will be pitching in the City of Chicago. I never said that they were the same guy, only that both feature similar histories and repertories. There's nothing wrong with comparing one pitcher to another. That’s exactly what I did.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Did I ever say that Santos has the results that Marmol has? The numbers? The pedigree? The long-term potential. No, i did not. The . Because that would be a ridiculous statement. one conclusion i jumped to was one of wishful thinking. Marmol is fastball dominant with a nasty slurve; Santos is fastball dominant with a developing curve. They're both converted position players, and both will be pitching in the City of Chicago. I never said that they were the same guy, only that both feature similar histories and repertories. There's nothing wrong with comparing one pitcher to another. That’s exactly what I did.

Marmol was ahead of santos a good 6 years in regards to converting. Marmol got significant innings year after year and at a perfect age, nothing was lost, it was like he was never a position player to begin with. Santos has gone the complete opposite route. I can see small, vague similarities, but when they are so vague to the point they barely exist, it's not much of a comparison. From the very, very limited amount of data available (pitch f/x) santos appears to throw his slider the best. But thesample size is so limited it's not worth a mention. The one thing that is a fact is that his fastball has shown to be severely underwhelming.

What do you mean that marmol is fastball dominant? Do you mean that he throws it the majority of the time? Or do you mean that his fastball is his best pitch? Because neither would be true for the last three seasons, and in his rookie season his fastball was very poor.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Marmol is fastball dominant with a nasty slurve;

No he is slider happy. In fact.. in lots of games I've seen him throw that pitch more than his fastball. He gets too "K-Rod" happy with that pitch instead of throwing and locating the heat putting guys away/just getting the out.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 06:08 AM)
Now don't let kalapse make you think otherwise... not that i think he was trying to. Overpowering someone does not just entail high velocity. It goes into much greater detail. Throughout this games history some of the very nastiest and most overpowering pitchers are those who are lucky if they can hit 90 on the radar.

But it sure helps to have the 97mph heat working for you...