Competitors for the open bullpen slot

scenario

Who do you think wins the 7th bullpen slot, if there is one?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which reliever makes the pen...

• Daniel Cabrera
    • Sergio Santos
    • Dan Hudson
    • Jhonny Nunez
    • Freddy Dolsi
    • Brandon Hynick
    • Carlos Torres
    • Clevelan Santeliz
    • Someone not currently with the team
    • No one - no 7th man will be taken

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
They don't necessarily have to add him to the 25-man roster, but if he is not added, he'll immediately go back on waivers. If he proves he's completely incapable of pitching at the major league level, and the Sox send him down, it's very possible he'd pass through. There are pitchers with raw talent all over the place, but having them actually be able to harness that talent is a completely different beast unto itself, and teams may not want to chance him figuring it out at the MLB level.

Thanks!!

I just hope Randy Williams does not make the team.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
Thanks!!

I just hope Randy Williams does not make the team.

At this point, his only competition is Threets, who hasn't exactly been uber-successful. Williams has the inside track, and will probably make the team.

Why do you hope he doesn't?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)

Because our manager doesn't understand that when a guy gives up an .868 OPS to RH hitters and a .549 OPS to RH hitters, he shouldn't have 37 PA against RH hitters and 43 PA against LH hitters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)
Because our manager doesn't understand that when a guy gives up an .868 OPS to RH hitters and a .549 OPS to RH hitters, he shouldn't have 37 PA against RH hitters and 43 PA against LH hitters.

That's not an argument against Williams, that's an argument against Ozzie, or against having a LOOGY at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
Which, therefore, becomes an argument against Williams, because that's what he is.

You have to work within the parameters of reality here. Ozzie wants a second lefty to specialize in getting lefites out. Sometimes he'll use them that way, but occasionally, he'll keep them in for longer. There is no changing this. So the better way to look at things is... how did Williams do overall last year? And how do we think Threets would do in the same situation (facing 3/4 lefties and 1/4 righties, give or take)?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
You have to work within the parameters of reality here. Ozzie wants a second lefty to specialize in getting lefites out. Sometimes he'll use them that way, but occasionally, he'll keep them in for longer. There is no changing this. So the better way to look at things is... how did Williams do overall last year? And how do we think Threets would do in the same situation (facing 3/4 lefties and 1/4 righties, give or take)?

It's not 3/4 lefties and 1/4 righties, that's my point. It's 52% lefties and 48% righties.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
It's not 3/4 lefties and 1/4 righties, that's my point. It's 52% lefties and 48% righties.

OK, fine. Again, what's his overall result? And will Threets do better?

It frustrates me that Ozzie doesn't use *OOGY's properly, but the reality is that he's going to have a lefty one, period. So saying you don't want Williams on the team can only mean you want a different LOOGY - how would Threets do against that matchup situation?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 07:23 AM)
At this point, his only competition is Threets, who hasn't exactly been uber-successful. Williams has the inside track, and will probably make the team.

It just comes back to that Yankees series last August for me, he was terrible.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
It just comes back to that Yankees series last August for me, he was terrible.

23% of his total hits, 78% of his total ER, 33% of his total BB and 50% of his total HR allowed came in that 1 inning of work. In other words: those other 16.2 IP were pretty solid.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
23% of his total hits, 78% of his total ER, 33% of his total BB and 50% of his total HR allowed came in that 1 inning of work. In other words: those other 16.2 IP were pretty solid.

Absolutely, though I'm still not excited about the prospect of Williams in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
You shouldn't be but that shouldn't be.

The only team the Sox really need a second lefty for is Minnesota, and considering how good Morneau and Mauer are at hitting lefties, that tends to get neutralized. Detroit doesn't have a real strong lefty hitter, and while Cleveland has Branyan, Hafner, Choo, and Sizemore, only Choo and Sizemore instill any type of fear in me from the left side of the plate.

If the Sox could go with a 6-man pen while not losing Santos and having a second lefty, I'd be just fine with it. But it seems as though the organization really likes Santos, and the second lefty is something Ozzie obviously can't go without. I'm generally not the type to look back on deals, but the current situation makes the Linebrink contract look really, really bad, because they could easily go into the season with a top 4 of Jenks, Thornton, Putz, and Pena. It almost would have been better if the Sox could have let the Dodgers keep the money from the Pierre deal and instead take on Linebrink (but of course, he has no trade protection too). In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they did try and work something out along those lines, because it seems far too coincidental that the Sox got $10.5 mill back from the Dodgers while Linebrink makes $10.5 mill over the next two seasons (though the allocation of resources is different, as the Sox get $7 mill this year and $3.5 mill next, opposed to $5 and $5.5).

Whatevs, just rambling at this point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
The only team the Sox really need a second lefty for is Minnesota, and considering how good Morneau and Mauer are at hitting lefties, that tends to get neutralized. Detroit doesn't have a real strong lefty hitter, and while Cleveland has Branyan, Hafner, Choo, and Sizemore, only Choo and Sizemore instill any type of fear in me from the left side of the plate.

If the Sox could go with a 6-man pen while not losing Santos and having a second lefty, I'd be just fine with it. But it seems as though the organization really likes Santos, and the second lefty is something Ozzie obviously can't go without. I'm generally not the type to look back on deals, but the current situation makes the Linebrink contract look really, really bad, because they could easily go into the season with a top 4 of Jenks, Thornton, Putz, and Pena. It almost would have been better if the Sox could have let the Dodgers keep the money from the Pierre deal and instead take on Linebrink (but of course, he has no trade protection too). In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they did try and work something out along those lines, because it seems far too coincidental that the Sox got $10.5 mill back from the Dodgers while Linebrink makes $10.5 mill over the next two seasons (though the allocation of resources is different, as the Sox get $7 mill this year and $3.5 mill next, opposed to $5 and $5.5).

Whatevs, just rambling at this point.

We do play quite a few games against opponents outside the division. I'm just sayin'.

I'd first like to point out I have no problem with spot #6 in the bullpen being a LOOGY, and I have reasonable hope that Randy Williams will be ok in that role (assuming he's the guy, and I think he is.) I'm also a fan of carrying the 7th pitcher in the bullpen, even with our starting staff being so good, simply because we're an AL team and need as many arms as we can have down there, especially since we don't have to worry about pinch hitting nearly as much as an NL team obviously.

Then again, we're going to have a bad hitter starting in the DH spot every single day unless a move is made, so maybe pinch hitting will be important. Anyways, if we're carrying a 7th pitcher as I feel we will be, I'd probably go with Santos unless he totally crashes and burns and/or his stuff is underwhelming this spring. I'm more a fan of giving Hudson another year of seasoning in triple A, and letting him take Garcia's rotation spot in 2011 since I doubt he's around after this year. If not Santos, then I have no idea who I'd go with. We have a lot of options, which is nice.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
Looks like our AAA rotation could be:

Hudson

Harrell

Torres

Cabrera

Hynick

If so, should be a good season for Charlotte.

I get the impression that Cabrera is going to be a reliever with the Sox, if he's anything. That slot will be Marquez or Shirek. And I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Harrell, Torres or Hynick traded away in a minor deal to a team desperate for an arm during Spring Training.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
I get the impression that Cabrera is going to be a reliever with the Sox, if he's anything. That slot will be Marquez or Shirek. And I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Harrell, Torres or Hynick traded away in a minor deal to a team desperate for an arm during Spring Training.

Good points. I forgot about Marquez when I was typing up my list. I think the overload of arms will likely end up in somebody moving. And if they are trying to get Cabrera to focus getting one pitch down the middle of the plate, he probably is destined for the pen.