Competitors for the open bullpen slot

scenario

Who do you think wins the 7th bullpen slot, if there is one?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which reliever makes the pen...

• Daniel Cabrera
    • Sergio Santos
    • Dan Hudson
    • Jhonny Nunez
    • Freddy Dolsi
    • Brandon Hynick
    • Carlos Torres
    • Clevelan Santeliz
    • Someone not currently with the team
    • No one - no 7th man will be taken

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
Looking at PitchFX data; Poreda threw 13 fastballs in that game (no runners reached base on him so I assume they were all from the windup), the average velocity on his fastball was 92.35 MPH with a max speed of 93.6.

For reference: Jenks and Thornton were both clocked at about 95/96 (avg/max) in that same game.

IIRC, the Sox were having Poreda pitch out of the stretch pretty much all the time in his major league relief appearances.... trying to simplify his mechanics.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Well.. he's out of options. So the sox are going to give him every opportunity to make the big club, because they like him alot. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another Masset/Wassermann situation as far as Masset making it cause of the no options reason. We'll see who pitches well in ST. (ala the "Wassermann" guy)

Since Santos is out of options, we have to expose him to waivers, does that mean a team has to put him on its 25 man active roster or can a team claim him put him on the 40 man and send him to the minors? To be more direct, if he does not hit a another team's 25 man roster, can the Sox bring him back?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
I think the past 10 years the only White Sox pitcher who was considered to be a flamethrower I ever saw that actually threw as hard as advertised was Jenks, although Clayton Richard may qualify as he threw pretty hard but it really wasn't advertised all that much.

Matt Thornton has been everything he was said that he could be, and more.

Let's look at the picture here. These guys are set for the pen, barring a trade or injury:

Jenks

Thornton

Putz

Pena

Linebrink

LOOGY

So for a 6 man pen, the only actual contest going on is for the LOOGY slot, which is Williams and Threets.

If they take a 7th man for the pen (which I think is silly), you have these candidates;

Cabrera

Santos

Hudson

Nunez

Dolsi

Hynick

Torres

That's a lot of arms for one job that may not even exist.

If there really is an open bullpen slot...

.. doesn't Dolsi's track record indicate he's the far and away most reliable option? Not to hype him up or anything, but just mainly looking at these other two guys.

Only thing in his way would be Santos' contract status, but they're not going to let that get in the way of putting the best team out there.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
If there really is an open bullpen slot...

.. doesn't Dolsi's track record indicate he's the far and away most reliable option? Not to hype him up or anything, but just mainly looking at these other two guys.

Only thing in his way would be Santos' contract status, but they're not going to let that get in the way of putting the best team out there.

He's not that reliable. That's why a team like Detroit that needed cheap arms released him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
I sincerely doubt that 97 number has any current meaning.

I would be really shocked if he was throwing that hard so early in ST, let alone at any point in the season...after all those injuries. I think 89-93 ends up being much more likely.

Which is why if he is throwing 97 again, he should have a chance to make this team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Hope you don't mind, scenario, but I added a poll to your thread - who do you think will win the spot, at this point?

We can re-ask in late March when we've narrowed it down.

Great idea. Don't mind at all.

I took Santos, but it's a really tough call. I guess Santos because he's out of options and they want to know what he can do before being forced to possibly lose him.

I like Carlos Torres as a bullpen guy, emergency starter.

The one guy I don't give much chance of making the bullpen out of spring training is Hudson. He needs to build innings at AAA, and then if you need him as a starter, he'll be ready to go. If the rotation holds up but they feel they need another arm in the pen in the second half, then he'll be ready for that too.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
I would think Hudson wins in a landslide, with the exception of those very convinced that long relief would stunt his development as a starter.

I think if it were on talent, he would win for sure. But I think the Sox will want another starter ready just in case early in the season. Once we get to Juneish, if Garcia is still going strong, Hudson comes up to replace someone who is struggling.

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
I think Kyle Bellamy could be a big surprise in camp.

I know what Boone Logan did four years ago, but Bellamy isn't even a NRI. With the glut of righties the Sox have, I don't see Bellamy getting too many calls to big league camp this spring. I was hoping he would have been invited though. I hope he goes to AA to start the year. Then you'll know they think a lot of him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
I know what Boone Logan did four years ago, but Bellamy isn't even a NRI. With the glut of righties the Sox have, I don't see Bellamy getting too many calls to big league camp this spring. I was hoping he would have been invited though. I hope he goes to AA to start the year. Then you'll know they think a lot of him.

There are probably 10-15 guys in front of him right now.

The reasons for my Bellamy comment...

- The Sox giving him time in the AFL last fall

- The fact that he has great control

- And he has a deceptive motion that results in alot of strikeouts

We have quite a few live arms in camp, but you know how Ozzie is about relievers walking people.

Could be a war of attrition.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 07:33 AM)
Since Santos is out of options, we have to expose him to waivers, does that mean a team has to put him on its 25 man active roster or can a team claim him put him on the 40 man and send him to the minors? To be more direct, if he does not hit a another team's 25 man roster, can the Sox bring him back?

They don't necessarily have to add him to the 25-man roster, but if he is not added, he'll immediately go back on waivers. If he proves he's completely incapable of pitching at the major league level, and the Sox send him down, it's very possible he'd pass through. There are pitchers with raw talent all over the place, but having them actually be able to harness that talent is a completely different beast unto itself, and teams may not want to chance him figuring it out at the MLB level.