The Big Board!

JPN366

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
Great job JPN ! Something I noticed though. Sergios Santos is out of options so if he doesn't make the 25 man roster he won't end up in the Sox minors will he ? With his arm someone will pick him up.

It all depends on the spring he has and what he shows to the scouts. If he has an awful spring, it might scare people away. If he has a great spring, and gets squeezed in a numbers game, that might inspire someone to take a shot at him. In a case like that, I would imagine we would see a trade late in the spring so that the Sox get something from him. The later it gets in spring, the better chance there is of no one claiming him because teams start to form their rosters.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the spring he has and what he shows to the scouts. If he has an awful spring, it might scare people away. If he has a great spring, and gets squeezed in a numbers game, that might inspire someone to take a shot at him. In a case like that, I would imagine we would see a trade late in the spring so that the Sox get something from him. The later it gets in spring, the better chance there is of no one claiming him because teams start to form their rosters.

I like Santos arm but he could be a good piece of a future Agon deal (I know I know) but who knows.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
I like Santos arm but he could be a good piece of a future Agon deal (I know I know) but who knows.

He would be a final piece that would mean virtually nothing in the long run. Even as good as his stuff is or may be, he's still raw.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 01:56 AM)
He would be a final piece that would mean virtually nothing in the long run. Even as good as his stuff is or may be, he's still raw.

Not to mention he's 26 (soon to be 27) which is too old to be considered a prospect. He's as much of a thrown-in as Adam Russell was in the Peavy deal.

Viciedo won't be playing 3B in Charlotte - he'll be starting at 1B. OF will be Danks, Gartrell and Kroeger, with Botts and Bohn sharing DH and bench OF duties. I'd bet on that.

He will probably do better there and have more of a chance to reach the bigs at 1B. I think there was an article somewhere where he was not too happy about this.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
Viciedo won't be playing 3B in Charlotte - he'll be starting at 1B. OF will be Danks, Gartrell and Kroeger, with Botts and Bohn sharing DH and bench OF duties. I'd bet on that.

The reason I have him at 3B is because I'm not sure who else would start at 3B in Charlotte. Botts is playing mostly LF and Kroeger is mostly playing 1B in ST. I think there is a gray area of who's playing 1B and 3B in Charlotte on purpose so that Chris Chambliss will have the luxury of starting Viciedo either at 3B or 1B on any given day depending on what the Buddy Bell and Kenny Williams want. I could see Danks starting out in B'ham now with Mitchell on the shelf and De Aza playing so well.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
The reason I have him at 3B is because I'm not sure who else would start at 3B in Charlotte. Botts is playing mostly LF and Kroeger is mostly playing 1B in ST. I think there is a gray area of who's playing 1B and 3B in Charlotte on purpose so that Chris Chambliss will have the luxury of starting Viciedo either at 3B or 1B on any given day depending on what the Buddy Bell and Kenny Williams want. I could see Danks starting out in B'ham now with Mitchell on the shelf and De Aza playing so well.

Do you really think they'd play Botts over De Aza? De Aza is younger and has a better shot of actually contributing to the major league team in some capacity this season.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
Do you really think they'd play Botts over De Aza? De Aza is younger and has a better shot of actually contributing to the major league team in some capacity this season.

It just depends. I'd say Botts would play more over Bohn than anybody, especially with Botts being a switch hitter. De Aza's fate is still up in the air, he seems to definitely be playing himself into a starting role at Charlotte. Charlotte's potential roster at this point is wide open though, so my projection is a best guess.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
Must have.

Not sure that's true - he was outrighted yesterday, and I believe that means there is now some period of days where he can be claimed, before he then can decide if he wants to be in Charlotte.

And I agree with Sonix on the OF/DH/3B situation. Viciedo at first means you have these OF/DH/1B types: Gartrell, De Aza, Kroeger, Botts, Bohn. And that is the order of playing time, I believe. Gartrell and De Aza will start daily in the OF, and Kroger/Botts/Bohn will rotate through DH, RF and the bench, and occasionally relieving Viciedo at 1B.

I'm not sure about 3B though for Charlotte. But its clear that they see Viciedo moving to 1B, and that is more important to them than who they have at 3B in AAA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
Not sure that's true - he was outrighted yesterday, and I believe that means there is now some period of days where he can be claimed, before he then can decide if he wants to be in Charlotte.

And I agree with Sonix on the OF/DH/3B situation. Viciedo at first means you have these OF/DH/1B types: Gartrell, De Aza, Kroeger, Botts, Bohn. And that is the order of playing time, I believe. Gartrell and De Aza will start daily in the OF, and Kroger/Botts/Bohn will rotate through DH, RF and the bench, and occasionally relieving Viciedo at 1B.

I'm not sure about 3B though for Charlotte. But its clear that they see Viciedo moving to 1B, and that is more important to them than who they have at 3B in AAA.

I was just going by the press release on Hynick, so yeah, it's likely he's on waivers. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I read that he's been fighting shoulder inflammation and that's why he hasn't pitched so far. I'm waiting to see if De Aza is sent minor league camp before I put him in Charlotte's projected starting lineup. If that's the case, I think Danks wil return to B'ham for the first half. Since he missed time due to injuries. I think the 3B job is open ended on purpose so that if they want to load up the lineup, they can play Viciedo at 3B, and put one of Botts/Bohn/Kroeger in the lineup at 1B. I wouldn't be surprised if Viciedo splits time between the two positions, at least through the first half. It should be interesting to see how it all shakes out. It's always difficult to peg Charlotte's lineup, but I think B'ham's is dead on pending Danks' assignment.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
Wait, so Viciedo sports an OPS barely over .700 at AA last year and they're going to start him at AAA this year? Makes perfect sense.

For the most part, he showed month-by-month improvemen, the jump from AA to AAA isn't that big and he's a supposed power hitter that goes from the biggest pitchers' park in the system to the biggest hitters' park in the system.

Wait, so Viciedo sports an OPS barely over .700 at AA last year and they're going to start him at AAA this year? Makes perfect sense.

Take away his first month in pro ball (which was abysmal) and the rest of his year was pretty decent... especially for someone his age.

I mean, we could have easily had him in Winston-Salem or Kannapolis for that matter based on his age. And he probably would have raked.

So should he be 'punished' because he was the youngest player in AA and had one bad month?

Based on what he did from May to September, he deserves the promotion.

Based on what I saw, starting at AAA is fine. Maybe another month at AA, but no more than that, which would be pointless. So, full season of AAA ball. That kid can hit.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
Take away his first month in pro ball (which was abysmal) and the rest of his year was pretty decent... especially for someone his age.

I mean, we could have easily had him in Winston-Salem or Kannapolis for that matter based on his age. And he probably would have raked.

So should he be 'punished' because he was the youngest player in AA and had one bad month?

Based on what he did from May to September, he deserves the promotion.

Scenario, I know you LOVE prospects, but saying he "deserves" a promotion is ridiculous. He doesn't deserve a damn thing. Take away his worst month and his numbers look better? Well you could say that about ANYBODY. How about I take away his best month (July)? Then his numbers look even more pedestrian. I will concede that he was very young for AA. He obviously wasn't as advanced as some, mainly his agent, made him out to be. It's also obvious that he's not, nor was he ever, going to stick at 3B. So it's even more imperative that he rakes. And his power numbers last year were abysmal. Now I'm hardly giving up on the kid. But it seems to me the organization is trying to justify the 10 million dollar investment more so than actually believing he's worthy of AAA. But we shall see. I'm no doubt cheering for the kid. But we have to see substantial improvement this year or that evil "B" word that all prospects fear will start hovering over this kid's head.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
Scenario, I know you LOVE prospects, but saying he "deserves" a promotion is ridiculous. He doesn't deserve a damn thing. Take away his worst month and his numbers look better? Well you could say that about ANYBODY. How about I take away his best month (July)? Then his numbers look even more pedestrian. I will concede that he was very young for AA. He obviously wasn't as advanced as some, mainly his agent, made him out to be. It's also obvious that he's not, nor was he ever, going to stick at 3B. So it's even more imperative that he rakes. And his power numbers last year were abysmal. Now I'm hardly giving up on the kid. But it seems to me the organization is trying to justify the 10 million dollar investment more so than actually believing he's worthy of AAA. But we shall see. I'm no doubt cheering for the kid. But we have to see substantial improvement this year or that evil "B" word that all prospects fear will start hovering over this kid's head.

It isn't just taking away any month, it was his FIRST MONTH of pro baseball. At age 20, in AA.