Jake Peavy is fired up

Balta1701

Some Peavlove from Olney.

Other starting pitchers have noticed that before Peavy takes the mound, he does not go through the usual gradual warm-up before a start. There is no extensive session of long-tossing, no meandering and gathering of thoughts in the outfield. About 10 minutes before he's supposed to take the mound, Peavy runs out of the clubhouse at full speed, fires about 20 pitches and he's ready.

He's always ready. Peavy finished his conversation with Stone and the reporter, and then headed off to work. Because of the rain that day, Peavy's scheduled start against the Cubs was postponed, so Cooper wants him to throw a simulated game indoors. The door closes behind him.

And then it opens again. The human bottle rocket has one last thought. "Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm going to throw a no-hitter," he says, and the door closes.

In a simulated game.

Perfect.

It's weird to think that when I first saw the thread title, my first thought was "ok, we get it... he's an intense competitor, sweet...". I was almost getting sick of being inundated with stories about how amped Peavy is to pitch, and to pitch for US. And then I took a step back and thought "niiiice... every other team would KILL for a Cy Young pitcher that is just dying to get the ball", and here I am thinking that it's overkill to see all these stories about how excited he is. Hell, I LOVE this. Burls is an amazing pitcher, Floyd and Danks are amazing in their own right, but we now have that stud pitcher with attitude, the drive to teach (and more importantly) lead and drive others on the team. Buerhle is awesome for everything he does, but his strength is not in the clubhouse, it's on the field. I really think Peavy will be an awesome fit here, psyched to have him. :headbang: :gosox3:

Peavy's intensity seems like a good fit on the sox. He not only leads by example but can fire up others. The sox have had low key, nice guy leaders--Burls, PK, Dye, Thome. Peavy seems like another though with more fire, confidence and attitude. Hopefully his intensity will be contagious.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 06:13 AM)
Peavy's intensity seems like a good fit on the sox. He not only leads by example but can fire up others. The sox have had low key, nice guy leaders--Burls, PK, Dye, Thome. Peavy seems like another though with more fire, confidence and attitude. Hopefully his intensity will be contagious.

The last time we had a team leader like Peavy we won a WS.

I hope Peavy's intensity doesn't make Oz switch his strategy of when to remove him from games.

Not that I trust Oz's feel all the time, but if Coop and Oz think he's done or over a certain pitch count, he's gotta agree with it or his arm might fall off.

I think he will cooperate, unlike the Cubs' train wreck Zambrano. But some of these ultra intense pitchers want the ball and don't want to give it up.

I do trust Coop.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
I'm sure that's who he was talking about.

The sad thing is, I never got the impression of Carl being that much of a crazy leader. More an impression of him being crazy. He may have kicked some tails behind the scenes, but he wasn't in that great of shape when the season started, he gave at least one or two crazy, negative publicity interviews that the whole team had to deal with during the year, etd.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
The sad thing is, I never got the impression of Carl being that much of a crazy leader. More an impression of him being crazy. He may have kicked some tails behind the scenes, but he wasn't in that great of shape when the season started, he gave at least one or two crazy, negative publicity interviews that the whole team had to deal with during the year, etd.

Yeah, I was referring to Jurassic.

He was a vocal leader....he wanted to win and he didn't mind being the jerk who called folks out. I think we've missed that component in the clubhouse since he left (based on reports, obviously). Peavy seems to have some of the same qualities and I think it'll be good for the team. One of the first things that crossed my mind last year after watching him pitch his first game in a Sox uni was the influence he will have on Gavin Floyd. To this day, even with his great improvements over the last couple of seasons, Gavin looks scared and timid on the mound. I think Jake will teach him to show more confidence, and when you feel confident you get better results.

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Yeah, I was referring to Jurassic.

He was a vocal leader....he wanted to win and he didn't mind being the jerk who called folks out. I think we've missed that component in the clubhouse since he left (based on reports, obviously). Peavy seems to have some of the same qualities and I think it'll be good for the team. One of the first things that crossed my mind last year after watching him pitch his first game in a Sox uni was the influence he will have on Gavin Floyd. To this day, even with his great improvements over the last couple of seasons, Gavin looks scared and timid on the mound. I think Jake will teach him to show more confidence, and when you feel confident you get better results.

I don't care what he looks like, he pitches like he owns the place.