ST: White Sox @ Braves, 6:05 CT

justBLAZE

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Your opening day lineup?

More like the lineup for Wednesday April 2nd but I think Andruw will DH with Rios in Center and Quentin in right.

I think Kotsay will be DH opening day and Andruw won't be in the lineup.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Your opening day lineup?

I forogt who was quoted as saying (per Oz) Kotsay will start at DH with Westbrook pitching. But we will see alot of that lineup this season.. hopefully Rios is moved up though.

I personally LOVE Alexei batting 9th though. Improving discipline, can run and has power out of that 9 spot.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
I'm gonna miss it (bro using the computer, not to mention will be watching Bulls and B-Hawks games) but hopefully our guys do well.

I don't think there is a free broadcast anywhere?

Even MLB.TV is doing free games this weekend, but this isn't one of them.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
Your opening day lineup?

I'm ok with that lineup. A bit right handed heavy in the middle but offensively and defensively it should be solid. I'm hoping Teahen has a good year and we can get his bat a little further up in the order as the season goes on.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
I would hope Alex is in center for all 162 and if Jones or Kotsay HAVE to play the field, they're in RF.

Alex's defense in CF is better than anyone else's on the team, even Andruw.

I don't know. I am not going to say Andruw will handle a full season in CF or hit well enough, but he looks to be in great shape and is moving well. On top of that, Andruw has always gotten tremendous jumps which put his overall speed as less important than a guy who relied on purely great jumps to be a plus defender.

I think Andruw is the best defensive CFer we have on this squad. However, over the course of a full season, Rios is better suited to play there (cause I think his body is better suited to hold up over a full-season). But Andruw can DH and will obviously sit against tough righties in favor of Kotsay.

i'm fine with Rios in right...he's an elite elite defender in RF while his metrics suggest hes somehwat above average in CF....i know jones was just an average CF in center when he played there in 08, but in 07 his UZR was a damn good 22.2 ....If he is as in shape as he looks, and given the fact that our CF isn't huge...I actually believe this may be our best defensive OF ...and it will help keep quentin healthy

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
i'm fine with Rios in right...he's an elite elite defender in RF while his metrics suggest hes somehwat above average in CF....i know jones was just an average CF in center when he played there in 08, but in 07 his UZR was a damn good 22.2 ....If he is as in shape as he looks, and given the fact that our CF isn't huge...I actually believe this may be our best defensive OF ...and it will help keep quentin healthy

Will it keep Jones healthy, though?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
A lot of of my concerns about this team would be lifted if we moved TCQ to DH and Jones to the OF. It's the more optimal defensive lineup, and would decrease the injury concern that perpetually looms over Quentin's head.

And what happens when Jones breaks down physically or Quentin breaks down mentally?

I like Andruw to give us quite a bit defensively this year but I'm not asking him to provide it in the first month or 2 of the season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
And what happens when Jones breaks down physically or Quentin breaks down mentally?

In event of the first, we move TCQ to the OF, and then play Kotsay at DH while weighing the options of calling up Flowers or making a trade. In the event of the second, we send the guy to a mental ward because he must be crazy if he can't handle his s*** while sitting on the bench all game.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
In event of the first, we move TCQ to the OF, and then play Kotsay at DH while weighing the options of calling up Flowers or making a trade. In the event of the second, we send the guy to a mental ward because he must be crazy if he can't handle his s*** while sitting on the bench all game.

He wouldn't be anywhere near the first player to not be able to handle a designated hitter role. (I just couldn't make this sentence sound good, off day I suppose) Some players just can't take sitting on the bench for 9 innings only getting up to participate 4 or 5 times in a game.

If Jones does start off April looking really good at the plate why in the hell would you want to push him hard right away and possibly lose him for an extended period of time forcing you to go with a sucky plan B? Working him into the outfield slowly doesn't hurt you at all as far as I'm concerned and it could pay big dividends later in the season.

Look, i know Carlos is intense. I know he really gets down on himself, but you can't tell me that the guy is going to have a mental breakdown everytime he strikes out just because he has to sit next to Kotsay, Castro, Nix and Vizquel for 9 innings, as opposed to going out to RF. It's not like he's doing yoga exercises out their anyway.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 2, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
Look, i know Carlos is intense. I know he really gets down on himself, but you can't tell me that the guy is going to have a mental breakdown everytime he strikes out just because he has to sit next to Kotsay, Castro, Nix and Vizquel for 9 innings, as opposed to going out to RF. It's not like he's doing yoga exercises out their anyway.

This isn't some new concept. It's an incredibly difficult transition to make that some players -- especially those who are as intense as Carlos -- struggle to make. It's an entirely different game when you're only asked to compete a handful of times throughout a game. Mental breakdown? Probably not. Extended slumps? Good possibility.

And if Carlos is as fragile as people believe him to be something tells me a move to the DH position will not be enough to save him from shattering into hundreds of pieces upon his next catastrophic injury. Hell correct me if I'm wrong but his last 4 injuries (if we are to believe that Carlos hurt himself punching a bat) either took place or were aggravated on the offensive side.