Does KW now make a play for Cust on the cheap?

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 03:11 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb,231977

Or wait it out the first couple of months of the season, based on the performances of Kotsay and Jones in the spring?

Would be an interesting addendum to the Moneyball movie!

If the Sox had any interest in a player like Cust, they would have resigned Thome.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
Yes. The Sox are going to play out this Kotsay/Jones thing for a while, and then look for something much better than Cust in June or July.

I agree with that. Cust is a poor mans Adam Dunn, big power, decent at drawing walks, atrocious in the field. I think Kotsay/Jones will be fine in a limited role and can bridge the gap for this season. If that spot is what is holding this team back in June/July, KW will go out and make a deal. Cinci may have a 1B to spare by that point and be looking for some other pieces.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
I agree with that. Cust is a poor mans Adam Dunn, big power, decent at drawing walks, atrocious in the field. I think Kotsay/Jones will be fine in a limited role and can bridge the gap for this season. If that spot is what is holding this team back in June/July, KW will go out and make a deal. Cinci may have a 1B to spare by that point and be looking for some other pieces.

Sure, if by decent you mean best in the game over the past 3 years.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
Cinci may have a 1B to spare by that point and be looking for some other pieces.

I assume you're talking about Joey Votto, if Yonder Alonso gets called up. That's not going to happen, so don't get your hopes up.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
I assume you're talking about Joey Votto, if Yonder Alonso gets called up. That's not going tp happen, so don't get your hopes up.

Even if he were to become available (which just will not happen) we don't have anywhere near he bullets to get him. 26 years old, one of the best young hitters in the game and he's under team control for 4 more years. 1.) you don't trade that guy and 2.) if you do it's for a package of players that would blow your f***ing mind.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Yes, but no.

I would really like somebody like Cust in this lineup, a power lefty bat who can DH and platoon with Jones. Let's all hope that Mark Kotsay sucks enough for KW to pull the trigger somehow.

I can't understand ever wanting a Sox player to "suck". If he didn't suck to begin with, there would be no need to replace him in the first place.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
Ignore my AGon posts and a serious question. Is Cust the type of bat Walker can maybe tweak to lower the K rate or is he too far gone in his swinging tendancies that he is a lost cause?

It takes more than tweaking to turn a high-K hitter into a low-K one. It's probably a lost cause, especially if you want to keep the power.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
I can't understand ever wanting a Sox player to "suck". If he didn't suck to begin with, there would be no need to replace him in the first place.

But he probably will suck, that's the thing.

And even if he does, Ozzie will be reluctant not to play him.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Ranger @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)

I think the point he's trying to make, Ranger, is the following:

Kotsay sucks. That is a given. Fine, he doesn't completely suck- he would be fine as a pinch-hitter/defensive replacement role player if we had room on the roster for it. The idea of giving him the large share of a DH platoon SUCKS. Big time. It's insane. You'd be lucky if he put up a .750 OPS.

I want Sox players to suck when their sucking ultimately leads to the improvement of the team. Our highly-opinionated former weak-hitting shortstop of a manager seems to force some of these bad decisions now and again. You want these players to suck quickly so Kenny has the evidence to say, "sorry Ozzie, we've got to make a change." You don't want these players to get hot briefly- a ton of AAAA players or semi-washed up old guys can hit .340 for a few weeks, a month. That ends up buying them a longer trial period to prove that, while they were hot for a while, they are not a full time regular.

Wise sucks. You want him to prove it as soon as possible to force Kenny's hand into putting a legit player in there. Erstad sucks. You want him to prove that as quick as possible to force Kenny's hand to make a change. You don't hope he breaks his ankle while swinging a bat. But your not surprised that he wound up with another injury.

I want the White Sox to win

Mark Kotsay getting a lot of DH time is a poor choice in the long run

The sooner Kotsay proves he shouldn't get a lot of at bats, the sooner Kenny can pull the plug on Ozzie's bad idea

Adrian Gonzalez, please.