A. Gonzalez Update 5/3

Marty34

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
IMO, we'd be a contender already if we didn't have 3 SP's with ERA's up somewhere above 6 and a 4th above 4.

That's what I mean. Our pitching hasn't been good and our offense isn't good. Gonzalez is going to magically make us pitch better and make other guys hit better.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 2, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
That's what I mean. Our pitching hasn't been good and our offense isn't good. Gonzalez is going to magically make us pitch better and make other guys hit better.

Frankly...it could certainly happen, you get that bat and suddenly everyone else loosens up a bit and bang.

But...you can't make that deal and count on that happening.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 2, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)

I'd hope they'd wait another month before making a huge deal, because you have to see if there's even a chance that you can compete with the Twins/Tigers. If we're 10 out after our road trip in two weeks, then just save your resources.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
I'd hope they'd wait another month before making a huge deal, because you have to see if there's even a chance that you can compete with the Twins/Tigers. If we're 10 out after our road trip in two weeks, then just save your resources.

I just agreed with Fathom.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)

Like I said in other spots, just like Rios and Peavy, Agon wouldn't be here as a temporary thing. He would be a part of the remake of the core of this team. It doesn't matter how many games we are out when the deal is made, and what the team publicly saids.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
Like I said in other spots, just like Rios and Peavy, Agon wouldn't be here as a temporary thing. He would be a part of the remake of the core of this team. It doesn't matter how many games we are out when the deal is made, and what the team publicly saids.

But you really think we'll give him a 5/100 deal? With the way attendance looks like, as well as what would be needed to keep Danks around, you're looking at almost 50 million dollars in the core of Peavy/Rios/Gonzalez.

There is no way they go into this deal without some kind of understanding of what it would take to keep him here. With Konerko and Buehrle coming off of the books before his new contract comes up, along with potentially Jenks, the money could be there if they wanted to make it happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
But you really think we'll give him a 5/100 deal? With the way attendance looks like, as well as what would be needed to keep Danks around, you're looking at almost 50 million dollars in the core of Peavy/Rios/Gonzalez.

If he does that we're screwed. Hugely screwed. I mean, we're already kinda screwed as it is.

Detroit and Minnesota are exponentially better than we are, likely for this year and a couple down the road.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)

I'm also not convinced Danks will sign a long term deal here. I haven't seen anything that shows there is something in common when it comes to an extention.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
I'm also not convinced Danks will sign a long term deal here. I haven't seen anything that shows there is something in common when it comes to an extention.

Then our rotation is really going to be doomed. Peavy's going to have a very hard time living up to his contract, and Buehrle's best years are seemingly behind him. It's not like we have a lot in the minors coming up. Danks should be the biggest priority for this team, and save money on a 1st baseman. I still think finding a solid 1st baseman for cheap is one of the easier things to do in baseball.

Frankly, I want no part of someone signed for that much money and that long. I know that's the price for an elite bat, but I'd rather the Sox have 2 very good bats at that price. Even if you include Gonzalez as part of the new core with Peavy and Rios, you'd still need a lot of production from cheap players to have a good team.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 2, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
Frankly, I want no part of someone signed for that much money and that long. I know that's the price for an elite bat, but I'd rather the Sox have 2 very good bats at that price. Even if you include Gonzalez as part of the new core with Peavy and Rios, you'd still need a lot of production from cheap players to have a good team.

Agreed, we don't have the resources in the minors to fill the holes this team has, so you go ahead and trade Hudson/Flowers/Santos/Danks2/Viciedo for Gonzalez, and then our resources are even more depleted. I still don't think we can compete with Boston for Gonzalez anyways.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 2, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)

The catch-22 of course is...you'd be giving up a lot of your possibly cheap young players to get him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
The catch-22 of course is...you'd be giving up a lot of your possibly cheap young players to get him.

More like all of our cheap young players basically. The funny thing is that I would trade Beckham for Gonzalez now

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
Then our rotation is really going to be doomed. Peavy's going to have a very hard time living up to his contract, and Buehrle's best years are seemingly behind him. It's not like we have a lot in the minors coming up. Danks should be the biggest priority for this team, and save money on a 1st baseman. I still think finding a solid 1st baseman for cheap is one of the easier things to do in baseball.

Danks being traded for a big package fills in a lot of those holes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
Danks being traded for a big package fills in a lot of those holes.

I can't remember the last time the Sox traded away an up and coming guy before he hit FA to restock the farm.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
I can't remember the last time the Sox traded away an up and coming guy before he hit FA to restock the farm.

If they think they will lose him to free agency, it will be a lot easier to justify. Besides, lately that's all anyone wants to do here anyway...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
If they think they will lose him to free agency, it will be a lot easier to justify.

Only if they think they can't compete going into his 2012 season. Which is just silly. Not only do they think they're going to compete every year, but they're not going to decide they're out of it until the deadline of that year at worst.