Who would you most like to go after?

balfanman

I am not a minor league expert and really only follow the minors through this board and Future Sox (maybe that does make me smarter than most though :lol: ).

With the Big league club in the dumpster and many folks here already talking about dumping veterans for prospects, who are some of the prospects from other organizations that you would like to see us acquire? Not necessarily looking for trade proposals, thats seems to lead to argueing about how much our current players are actually worth. I'm really just looking for names that you guys think would be worthy to acquire.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 11, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
I am not a minor league expert and really only follow the minors through this board and Future Sox (maybe that does make me smarter than most though :lol: ).

Actually that makes you brilliant and very well informed.

:D

Actually, it's hard to target other teams 'top prospects'.

The economics of the business have shifted and most teams are reluctant to give them up.

But I'm sure people will add some opinions today of who they'd like us to acquire.

Edited by scenario

I'm talking realistically and/or just for the future.

Alex Gordon

Kila Ka'aihue

Pedro Beato

Troy Patton

Jeremy Hellickson/Jake McGee

Steven Pearce

Gregor Blanco (though I'm not that big of a fan as I used to be)

Edited by SoxAce

If it does come down to us being sellers...I think we target low a-ball, recent draftee kinds of guys. High risk, high reward, but if they're far enough away from the big leagues, there's probably legitimate value to be stolen from teams.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 11, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm talking realistically and/or just for the future.

Alex Gordon

Kila Ka'aihue

Pedro Beato

Troy Patton

Jeremy Hellickson/Jake McGee

Steven Pearce

Gregor Blanco (though I'm not that big of a fan as I used to be)

What the heck are they going to do with this guy? He's made a mockery of AA/AAA the last year+. Then there's the kid they got in the Kazmir deal. That organization is so damn loaded.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
If it does come down to us being sellers...I think we target low a-ball, recent draftee kinds of guys. High risk, high reward, but if they're far enough away from the big leagues, there's probably legitimate value to be stolen from teams.

A la "Matt Karchner-for-Jon Garland"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)

Problem with that is, that leaves some holes - assuming you are a seller, and if PK goes away after this season, you have a serious problem at 1B/DH. Need bats. That's why I wanted Kila, but it looks like he's not going to be available.

I agree with your approach on pitching, and certain positions where we have guys solid for a few years (like 2B, SS and CF), and positions where we have good prospects close to ready (3B, C). But some positions (1B, DH, maybe OF), we will need guys in the very short term.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Problem with that is, that leaves some holes - assuming you are a seller, and if PK goes away after this season, you have a serious problem at 1B/DH. Need bats. That's why I wanted Kila, but it looks like he's not going to be available.

I agree with your approach on pitching, and certain positions where we have guys solid for a few years (like 2B, SS and CF), and positions where we have good prospects close to ready (3B, C). But some positions (1B, DH, maybe OF), we will need guys in the very short term.

But...the counter point is...1b we MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY also have someone if he keeps hitting like this, and hell, if we fire sale it then I'd expect we see what the kid can do in the bigs. Ditto on at least 1 OF slot.

And...frankly, no matter how dumb our manager or GM are...Dh is a position you can fill for

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 14, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Scott Lewis just got released by the Indians. He's a 26-year-old LHP who had a 2.12 ERA with an 18/4 K/BB ratio in about 17 innings in AAA. Not an injury concern, which likely means the kid is a dick. He needs to be brought in.

If it's the same Scott Lewis, i think he's had arm issues all the way back to his days at Ohio State. The guy is very talented though.