White Sox @ Tigers 5/18/10 Game Thread

hogan873

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
No, because you expect him to slow down from that ridiculous early season home run pace, but you don't expect any other GM's around baseball to expect that.

I think its just the notion that fans know their teams and players better than anyone, even an opposing GM. But I'm not saying I believe this or that any GM would be foolish enough to trade for Jones (at least, for a decent return).

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 18, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
That's completely false.

If I'm not mistaken it was a matter of a few million or a second year of deferred money in order to get Damon to come to the Sox. Teahen will make $4.75 in 2011 and $5.5 in 2012, money that could've been deferred to Damon if we had gone year for year with Teahen. We overpaid two years in order to save a few hundred thousands for the first year; $3.75(2010 salary) - $3.85(estimated arb raise).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
No, because you expect him to slow down from that ridiculous early season home run pace, but you don't expect any other GM's around baseball to expect that.

You don't think his value is higher now than it would be in mid-June if he hits 4 homers in the next month?

QUOTE (pktmotion @ May 18, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
If I'm not mistaken it was a matter of a few million or a second year of deferred money in order to get Damon to come to the Sox. Teahen will make $4.75 in 2011 and $5.5 in 2012, money that could've been deferred to Damon if we had gone year for year with Teahen. We overpaid two years in order to save a few hundred thousands for the first year; $3.75(2010 salary) - $3.85(estimated arb raise).

Believe whatever you want but $2.5M over 3 years was not the difference between us signing Damon and not.

Can anyone on the board recall from memory approximately how many games we have outhit the opposition by a healthy margin but have lost due to no clutch or timely hitting? I could be off the mark but I think we outhit other teams quite a bit but always find a way to lose.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
You don't think his value is higher now than it would be in mid-June if he hits 4 homers in the next month?

Not in the sense that the trade would have an impact on this season, or next. I think no matter what, we'll get nothing more than a project or two for him. Maybe a prospect and a project if we go now.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ May 18, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
Can anyone on the board recall from memory approximately how many games we have outhit the opposition by a healthy margin but have lost due to no clutch or timely hitting? I could be off the mark but I think we outhit other teams quite a bit but always find a way to lose.

Dude...I don't think there are many games this year where we have outhit the opposition.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
Dude...I don't think there are many games this year where we have outhit the opposition.

Given the fact that we have the lowest team avg in MLB (at least I think we do), I'd have to say that we probably haven't outhit many teams.