5/24 GT: Sox @ Cleveland 6:05pm WCIU

knightni

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 24, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
Key word being "exclusively."

Had he displayed any command (or even some remote ability to be able to responsibly handle the position over the long haul) over third base over those FIVE years, he would have, more or less, been played there "exclusively".

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
Had he displayed any command (or even some remote ability to be able to responsibly handle the position over the long haul) over third base over those FIVE years, he would have, more or less, been played there "exclusively".

Two words. Alex Gordon.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)
Two words. Alex Gordon.

Two words: Mark Teahen. He came along a few years before Gordon did. Had Teahen established himself in any way, shape, or form before then (which he didn't), Gordon would not have been handed the position on a platter as quickly as he was.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:05 PM)
Two words: Mark Teahen. He came along a few years before Gordon did. Had Teahen established himself in any way, shape, or form before then (which he didn't), Gordon would not have been handed the position on a platter as quickly as he was.

Alex Gordon being the #2 overall pick and the consensus best position prospect in baseball at the time had a little something to do with that. And Teahen had his best season the year BEFORE Gordon got called up. 3B was going to Gordon regardless.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:07 PM)
Alex Gordon being the #2 overall pick and the consensus best position prospect in baseball at the time had a little something to do with that.

And Teahen would have been blocked at third base in a similar way as our 2008 #1 shortstop pick was stopped at shortstop on our team (i.e. there was a superior position player at his position). But no, by then, Teahen had already been diagnosed as a deficient third sacker and thus shuffled off to other positions, so replacing him with a first round draft pick was a no-brainer for the Royals. And not to mention, but Gordon has been no great shakes to date, either, and yet the Royals chose to divest themselves of Teahen for a bucket of balls before Gordon, so that tells ya somethin', too!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
And Teahen would have been blocked at third base in a similar way as our 2008 #1 shortstop pick was stopped at shortstop on our team (i.e. there was a superior position player at his position). But no, by then, Teahen had already been diagnosed as a deficient third sacker and thus shuffled off to other positions, so replacing him with a first round draft pick was a no-brainer for the Royals. And not to mention, but Gordon has been no great shakes to date, either, and yet the Royals chose to divest themselves of Teahen for a bucket of balls before Gordon, so that tells ya somethin', too!

I meant to say that Alex Gordon would have been blocked in a similar fashion to Beckham being blocked over Alexei had Teahen been living up to his side of the deal over the past couple of years over there in KC.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)

Gordon > Teahen. This is not hard to understand. Gordon was undoubtedly their 3B of the future. It has nothing to do with what Teahen could or couldn't do. And how would you know what the Royals had "diagnosed" back in 2006? And I already know Gordon has yet to establish himself. That's of no relevance. I'm talking strictly going into 2007 and why Teahen was never going to be a full-time 3B.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
Gordon > Teahen. This is not hard to understand. Gordon was undoubtedly their 3B of the future. It has nothing to do with what Teahen could or couldn't do. And how would you know what the Royals had "diagnosed" back in 2006? And I already know Gordon has yet to establish himself. That's of no relevance. I'm talking strictly going into 2007 and why Teahen was never going to be a full-time 3B.

"Gordon > Teahen"? As lousy as Teahen is (and he is!), at least Mark is in the Major Leagues. Gordon isn't, and for good reason. He's been every bit as lousy as Teahen has been up until this point, and with plenty of sample size to prove it. Their poor performances at the Major League level to date are actually fairly similar. And that begs an interesting question: why is one of them in the minors right now, and then why is one of them the STARTING third baseman for OUR team!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 24, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
"Gordon > Teahen"? As lousy as Teahen is (and he is!), at least Mark is in the Major Leagues. Gordon isn't, and for good reason. He's been every bit as lousy as Teahen has been up until this point, and with plenty of sample size to prove it. Their poor performances at the Major League level to date are actually fairly similar. And that begs an interesting question: why is one of them in the minors right now, and then why is one of them the STARTING third baseman for OUR team!

Again, I was talking 2007 and why Mark was never going to be a full-time 3B. Not what's going on right now. Andy Laroche played a pretty good 3B for the Pirates last year. But I can guarantee you that when it's time for Pedro Alvarez to come up, good bye Laroche, at least as a 3B. It was the same situation in KC back then.

Edited by Jordan4life