You are Jerry Reinsdorf, you decide, who gawn?

justBLAZE

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see get fired?

• Ozzie.
    • Kenny.
    • Both.
    • Neither.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
Well, and the money saved by taking KW Jr. also went to Jordan Danks, I believe.

KW Jr. did get $175k.

Its easy to say Ozzie should be the one if someone had to go, but without seeing what is going on behind the scenes its unfair to choose. Regardless of whether he is "part of the organization" Oney Guillen as you stated is an embarrassment to the White Sox. He wants to have it both ways, telling people he knows more than them because he's around it then saying he really has nothing to do with the White Sox anymore. If Ozzie can't control his own son vs. the organization that set their family up for life and affords him the opportunity never to have to get a job, what kind of leader is he really expected to be in the clubhouse?

If KW is playing childish games just to piss Ozzie off, and I have no proof he is, then he should go too. We really don't know the situation and never will. I don't think either would be a big loss at this stage. They have been living off 2005 for 5 years. It took 7 years of living off 1985 for the Bears to move away from Ditka.

I find it hard to believe the Guillen family is pissed off they didn't overdraft Ozney. If he was a top 5 round prospect, certainly another team would have jumped on him, although Oney explains that as the White Sox announced they were going to take him so no one drafted him. Too bad they didn't make the same announcement for Strasburg.

If Oney wants to be upset his brother didn't get drafted as early as he thought, that's one thing. If he's got a problem with KW and tweets away what an ass he thinks he is that OK I suppose, but to drag KW Jr. into it is wrong and classless, even if he is spot on with his scouting report.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please get rid of both. For how "good" KW has been, he has won two divisions since 2001. That's awful, but gets masked because he brought a WS. Give me a new manager/GM combo of Joey Cora and Rick Hahn please. But if I had to pick Ozzie. Annoying. Embarrassing. Bad.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I can remember all the stories about KW having to sell JR on how great Peavy would be and how he was a bulldog that would lead the staff and the money he makes wouldn't be an issue because he was so awesome.

Whoops.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 02:17 AM)
It's not Ozzie's fault that this team sucks. Did anyone expect this team to contend? It's full of a lot of sorry ass players, and the ones who are good are not living up to it (save a few guys obviously).

If Ozzie made 100% of the correct moves this year, is this team still anywhere near .500? Probably not.

You can only play w/ the cards you are dealt. Ozzie was dealt a 2-7 off-suit.

i once won a pot with a 2-7 ;)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
I think KW and Ozzie put Oz in a position to succeed or be canned. Clearly his roster decisions were wrong and he should be gone.

Out of these people, which one was an Ozzie roster decision?

AJ Pierzynski

Gordon Beckham

Carlos Quentin

Jake Peavy

Gavin Floyd

Mark Buehrle

Bobby Jenks

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 01:27 AM)
Our manager is a rich former player with a huge ego. The Sox knew that when they hired him.

It's not like he needs the job.

The fire Oz rants really are as boring as my save Ozzie rants.

We know you hate him. People tell me to stop beating the dead horse. What about the Ozzie haters. Yes, we know, you feel he sucks in all regards.

Hopefully you guys will get your wish. The next manager will never say anything controversial (most don't) and it'll be back to the dull coachspeak many of you apparently so desire.

Ozzie is rich, but not by baseball standards. Konerko & Buehrle both have made more money over the past 2 years than Oz made his entire career as a player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)

AJ Pierzynski

Gordon Beckham

Carlos Quentin

Jake Peavy

Gavin Floyd

Mark Buehrle

Bobby Jenks

So you're saying a manager has never been fired because his players underperformed for him?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)
So you're saying a manager has never been fired because his players underperformed for him?

There's a difference in saying that Ozzie should be fired because its his job to get his players performing and he's failing at that job and saying Ozzie should be fired for this year's roster decisions, when it hasn't been the roster decisions that have hurt us this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
There's a difference in saying that Ozzie should be fired because its his job to get his players performing and he's failing at that job and saying Ozzie should be fired for this year's roster decisions, when it hasn't been the roster decisions that have hurt us this year.

Fair enough....personally, he should be fired because there's not one thing he's good at as a manager anymore. I think he used to be able to motivate veteran players, but it seems like the Ozzie act has gotten old. He could probably go to a younger team like the Marlins and do a great job with them...that is, if he's willing to deal with rookies, etc. I truly do hope that when Ozzie leaves, he goes out with class and we don't see the crap in the media we see far too often with our ex players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)

AJ Pierzynski

Gordon Beckham

Carlos Quentin

Jake Peavy

Gavin Floyd

Mark Buehrle

Bobby Jenks

all KW, and all have performed successfully at some point for the Sox.

Oz:

Juan Pierre

rotating DH=no power bat that can only hit

Those alone are fireable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
all KW, and all have performed successfully at some point for the Sox.

Oz:

Juan Pierre

rotating DH=no power bat that can only hit

Those alone are fireable.

Mark Kotsay

Omar Vizquel

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
Mark Kotsay

Omar Vizquel

Kotsay has 6 HR on the year. Vizquel has markedly positive UZR numbers at 3b and SS, negative numbers at 2b but he's only getting time there because our starting 2b is sucking royally. Kotsay and Vizquel have been adequate at their job.

Every time anyone blames this season on Kotsay or Vizquel, God Kills a Kitten.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
Kotsay has 6 HR on the year. Vizquel has markedly positive UZR numbers at 3b and SS, negative numbers at 2b but he's only getting time there because our starting 2b is sucking royally. Kotsay and Vizquel have been adequate at their job.

Good, I f***ing hate cats.

Kenny's not going anywhere any time soon. He's the most effective GM that the Sox have had in a while and most of his teams have been pretty solid on paper.

Not that I necessarily think that Ozzie deserves to be fired, but I'm not sure what he brings to the table at this point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)

Kotsay has played like a regular. He starts about 4-5 times a week. The only reason he starts and Ozzie has said as much, is because they need a left handed bat in the lineup to break up the righties. He is a pretty crappy left handed bat. Aubrey Huff, Jim Thome, Damon, Matsui all would have been much better choices.

I know KW is the GM and it is his job to provide players for the manager to then manage, but this offseason, it truly seems as if Ozzie had a huge say in who they obtained. Ozzie loved Pierre. They should have not traded for him and got Damon as a FA instead. We would have some more pitching in the minors in Ely and Link. I get so frustrated anytime I post about this s***ty team, makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Kotsay has played like a regular. He starts about 4-5 times a week. The only reason he starts and Ozzie has said as much, is because they need a left handed bat in the lineup to break up the righties. He is a pretty crappy left handed bat. Aubrey Huff, Jim Thome, Damon, Matsui all would have been much better choices.

You are 100% correct, those guys would have been better choices.

However...2 points. First...the only one of those options you list capable of being a backup 1b is Aubrey Huff. And considering he's basically a starter in S.F., I don't know why he'd have come to Chicago. You could always offer him more money, but really, please tell me who though offering $4 million+ to Aubrey Huff to be a backup 1b/DH/corner OF was a sane idea?

Kotsay has 1 other job on this team other than being DH, and that's giving Konerko extra time off. And Konerko's having a dynamite season.

And second...Can anyone honestly tell me that if we replaced Kotsay's .600 OPS with a .750-.825 OPS by signing Damon or Matsui for $9 million this year...or if we replaced him with Thome and his actually solid numbers, again playing part time, we'd be a .500 team? Honestly. We're scoring as many runs with this lineup as we did with last year's lineup, even in the first half with JD and Thome playing well. And the rest of the league is down in offense, so we're actually producing runs, relative to the league, at a better pace than last year.

Unless signing Thome, Matsui, Huff, whatever...would fix the pitching staff, or would turn Quentin and Beckham into all-stars, then you guys are spending all this effort complaining about guys 22-25 on the roster when guys 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, and 10 are bloody failures.

You're looking at the Gulf of Mexico and complaining about the small other oil leak from the 2nd platform that no one has heard about, and then filling up at a BP station and wondering why you're getting dirty looks for it.

Ozzie is a good manager and Kenny is a good GM. However, they need to revamp with what they have.

5 things:

1. New hitting coach or additional hitting coach (special assistant)

2. Put Cora back at 3b coach

3. Put Gordon Beckham at 3b for the rest of the year, Nix to Short, & Ramirez back to 2B. (I would say put Beckham at SS, but Ramirez would probably sulk & not help improve the team)

4. Make no trades, Bat AJ 5th.

5. Put Andruw in the field more often, let Kotsay play a more reserve role.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
Ozzie is a good manager and Kenny is a good GM. However, they need to revamp with what they have.

5 things:

1. New hitting coach or additional hitting coach (special assistant)

2. Put Cora back at 3b coach

3. Put Gordon Beckham at 3b for the rest of the year, Nix to Short, & Ramirez back to 2B. (I would say put Beckham at SS, but Ramirez would probably sulk & not help improve the team)

4. Make no trades, Bat AJ 5th.

5. Put Andruw in the field more often, let Kotsay play a more reserve role.

Wow, I think I agree with 1 of those at most.