The Bars Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
Who's he/what other places does he own?

A ton of bars. Here is their main website:

http://fourcornerstaverns.com/

They are opening up a few more in the future as well. They make a TON of money by repeating their formula, hiring and maintaining decent employees and not giving away much if anything for free.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
Did you go yet? I have been extremely disappointed by the food selection.

So I went to this. I was very disappointed. For a microbrew, they only had like 4 of their own beers and i'm pretty sure 3 of them were IPAs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
So I went to this. I was very disappointed. For a microbrew, they only had like 4 of their own beers and i'm pretty sure 3 of them were IPAs.

I feel like there's some sort of mentality among craft brew snobs that if you don't like IPAs (or anything real hoppy), you're a pansy. Granted, I've talked to a few brewers themselves, and they say that's not the case at all...the common theme was, "If we brew it, we like it."

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 02:50 AM)
I feel like there's some sort of mentality among craft brew snobs that if you don't like IPAs (or anything real hoppy), you're a pansy. Granted, I've talked to a few brewers themselves, and they say that's not the case at all...the common theme was, "If we brew it, we like it."

I like IPAs well enough, but...that's not exactly showing off.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.260sportsbar.com/

This place is right next door to Ricobene's and their family owns it. Nice addition to the area. Party here before and after the game. They have a free shuttle to take you there and back. I've been here twice and the staff is incredibly friendly and beer selection is pretty good. Food was excellent. Tons of tv's. I wish it was closer to my house...I'd be there more often. Definitely check it out if you're heading to a game.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
My favorite Four Corners bar is definitely Crossing. One of my favorite bars in the city.

A) My good friend lives directly across the street from the Crossing and I know one of the DJs. In fact you've probably hit on someone from my high school there.

B ) It's a Kansas bar.

C) Not a fan of that place. Mediocre at best. You should go to Kelsey's or Kendall's on Lincoln.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:31 AM)
A) My good friend lives directly across the street from the Crossing and I know one of the DJs. In fact you've probably hit on someone from my high school there.

B ) It's a Kansas bar.

C) Not a fan of that place. Mediocre at best. You should go to Kelsey's or Kendall's on Lincoln.

Yes, if you are between the ages of 18-21, Kendalls and Kelsey's are good choices. Otherwise, that entire stretch of Lincoln is not for you.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 01:50 AM)
Yes, if you are between the ages of 18-21, Kendalls and Kelsey's are good choices. Otherwise, that entire stretch of Lincoln is not for you.

Kendalls on Friday's has a special where you pay 10 bucks from 6-9 for unlimited beer, wings and pizza, I don't care how old you are, you can't beat that deal.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
Kendalls on Friday's has a special where you pay 10 bucks from 6-9 for unlimited beer, wings and pizza, I don't care how old you are, you can't beat that deal.

I'm familiar with those, I used to take advantage of it when i was in college, which is who its aimed at.

I catch as many drink specials as I can on the weekend.

Im not in college, but I dont care for overpriced drinks or an upper crest crowd, so my friends and I generally go to places with drink specials.

Id rather spend $30 to have a good time, than $150. The only negative is that at the pricier bars youre probably going to find more high end ladies, but Im into the girl next door type, so I prefer the classless scene.

I have to dress nice for work, Im wearing whatever I want on the weekend.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
I catch as many drink specials as I can on the weekend.

Im not in college, but I dont care for overpriced drinks or an upper crest crowd, so my friends and I generally go to places with drink specials.

Id rather spend $30 to have a good time, than $150. The only negative is that at the pricier bars youre probably going to find more high end ladies, but Im into the girl next door type, so I prefer the classless scene.

I have to dress nice for work, Im wearing whatever I want on the weekend.

Because you either have to spend $30 a night to drink with college kids or spend $150. There are other neighborhoods beside lincoln park and river north. There's a lot of bars in chicago that are cheap, the ones on lincoln ave tend to have a lot of younger people who just get smashed and are obnoxious.

$150 was somewhat hyperbole, although there have been plenty of times Ive spent that much.

For $20 you can drink all you can drink at many places. You immediately have to add $10 for tips, thus my $30 as the minimum.

Now for all you can drink we are normally getting in the area of 10 drinks. Lets say that we are at a normal bar, that would be around $50 if we are drinking low end beer or well drinks. Now you once again have to add at least $10 for tips.

So sure, was I using hyperbole to say $150 versus $30. But even at what i would consider to be the cheapest bars, Im still at minimum spending $50-$60 and that is not including food, which these specials include (maybe not classy food, but a meal is a meal). So add on another $10+ tip for food.

Once again, I was being sarcastic about the $150. but I guess even the most chill atmosphere isnt worth 2x the price of admission. Ive been to bars from Uptown to River North to the West Side. I wont even get into the West Side because thats an additional $20 or more on cabs.

My point was more about the attitude saying that drink specials are for college kids only. Drink specials are for anyone who enjoys getting drunk and not having to pay through the nose.

Whether you think $50 is a lot (some people dont) or $150, I prefer to spend less.

well, the whole dig was the fact that kendalls is a college bar, then others saying they didn't care b/c it's cheap, which is why i said there are other cheap places that don't feature a bunch of meaty cubs fans puking at their feet because they went to a bar to get f***ed up and hit on chicks.