Waiver Wire Thread

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
Its possible they asked about him, and the price was too high. But since he cleared waivers, that seems unlikely. I'm not sure what the reason would be to NOT go get him, since he'd be such a massive upgrade over Kotsay.

According to someone with inside info in last night's game thread, there has been no interest on our side for him.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
According to someone with inside info in last night's game thread, there has been no interest on our side for him.

This is has been discussed before, but as surprising it is that we have shown no interest, I am just as surprised that no other contender claimed him. There are several playoff teams that could use his bat, his salary and buyout are not extremely expensive. There has to be some other reason why no one would claim him.

Damon has a no-trade clause in his contract, so he's going to be tough to move or acquire.

In regards to LaRoche, it is entirely possible that the DBacks just didn't want to move him, and that their asking price is still extraordinarily high. He does have a reasonable option for next year that the DBacks can pick up, but it becomes pricier for other teams to acquire him because the option becomes $2 mill more expensive.

As to why other teams didn't pick him up...Atlanta is one of the few who I think could have, but they may have called into DiPoto in advance and asked about him, and then asked about Lee, and figured that Lee would be the easier target to acquire. Other than that, there aren't a whole lot of teams in contention that need help at 1B: San Diego, San Francisco, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and now Atlanta all have 1B locked down, and Boston, New York, Tampa, and Minnesota. Maybe Texas, but they seem content with who they are running out there, and they've already made a ton of moves this year.

The Sox seem like they're the only legitimate option to acquire him right now, and from the sounds of it, they have no interest in LaRoche. I would imagine it's largely because they're not sure if LaRoche is really an upgrade (and some guys do struggle adjusting to new leagues and new roles and they can't afford to go through an adjustment period right now with so little time left in the season, so there may be some legitimacy to that) and because Arizona is asking for too much simply because they are looking to hang on to him.

I'd say it's Manny or bust at this point, although taking a flyer on Hawpe wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Damon has a no-trade clause in his contract, so he's going to be tough to move or acquire.

Not totally true. Remember it was between Detroit and the Sox before he signed that 1 year deal with Detroit. I can see it happening if Detroit is willing to trade him within the division.

The White Sox appear unlikely to add a reliever today, based on an email GM Kenny Williams sent to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-lat...m-August-080110

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
The deadline for the waiver trade period is tonight at 11 PM. Do the Sox make a last minute move for a bullpen arm?