Waiver Wire Thread

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Somebody over at another forum brought up the idea of Jason Bay for Jake Peavy.

Both make a similar amount of money over the next couple of years, Bay has an extra year of obligation.

Depending on how Jackson progresses, I wouldn't be all that against such a swap.

I'd bet the farm that Jake Peavy would veto a trade to go play in New York for the Mets.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
The problem with that is then the Mets are basically paying out $40-45 million a year just to Jake Peavy and Johan Santana...and they still have no OFs worth a damn, especially if you assume Beltran will suffer another semi-major injury as he always does.

I don't think such a trade is worth it for the Mets...

Yeah, I don't think the Mets would do such a thing, but if it were up to Kenny, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought about it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 09:14 PM)
Figgins, Ibanez and Matsui are all getting a lot of mentions.

Perhaps the most interesting "new" name is Nate McLouth...wonder if KW would try for him?

Man, McLouth has absolutely crashed this season. His numbers are terrible. What happened to Nick Johnson?!

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
Man, McLouth has absolutely crashed this season. His numbers are terrible. What happened to Nick Johnson?!

I was high on him at the start of the season simply because he has been a solid hitter over the last few years. His spring training was horrible. Something like 3-40 or something. So I figured hot start was certain, then hot may, maybe june, now end of july/august he is gone. Not sure what happened there.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)

hurt his wrist, went on the 60 day DL. Normal year for Nick

No thankyou to Figgins. But I'm down for Matsui (would kill in the cell IMO. Plus he is as clutch as you get. See 2009 world series) Ibanez (he's on his last legs though and is expensive, but why would the Phillies give them up they are in it for sure). I love Matsui for two reasons mostly; first, he is a excellent hitter. Goes the other way and drives up the count. Not to mention he adds power from the left side we so badly need. Secondly, I love the fact he would bring in extra revenue to the team, even if for only two months. hE is a huge draw for the Asian market and would easily pay for his remaining salary in ticket sales, jerseys, etc.

Finally Matsui is a free agent next year and we saw what he did in a contract year in 09'. right now he suffers from a pitchers park in LA. He would love hitting in the cell and was also a target of KWs in the offseason, but the damn Halos outbid us again.

The angels have to see themselves out of it and he is the perrfect salaray to shed. Does he have a NTC? Would he make to us? Only an AL team would claim him, I would think Det would be very interested for him as a DH. Also the rays and Yankees. He would be my number one after ManRam.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 03:14 AM)
Figgins, Ibanez and Matsui are all getting a lot of mentions.

Perhaps the most interesting "new" name is Nate McLouth...wonder if KW would try for him?

None of those guys make sense right now. Ibanez and McClouth because they're signed for 2011 and hitting like crap. Matsui because his bat isn't that much of an upgrade.

Figgins might make sense in the offseason, depending on what the sox do with Viciedo. If they move him to 1b, maybe get Sea. to pick up a lot of salary. I'm sure Sea. will try and move Figgins and it fits in with the sox reclamation projects. Pierre has been hot lately. Yet him leading off doesn't thrill me. And while his glove has been better than advertised, if Pierre drops off on offense and defense, the sox don't have decent options to replace him-esp. as Ozzie loves his speed guy hitting #1. Having a young guy come into LF and hitting at the bottom of the order would be possible if Figgins were on board at 3b and to hit at the top.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:17 AM)
Christ...I'd rather see Dye in the cage for 2-3 weeks and give him a shot then some of these retreads I'm reading. Can't believe nobody's given him a shot yet...

Plenty of teams have given him "a shot" (= a contract offer for more than Thome's making this year). He hasn't shown any urge to accept a minimum deal.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
MLBTR has a new post about the tigers and how they may sell if they don't turn it around. They mention a few players, the most interesting Johnny Damon. Any interest?

I'd take him but I wouldn't give up anything I really liked. I'd do a waiver claim.

Figured I'd repost in this thread:

Per Olney...

Buster_ESPN:

Heard this: Adam Dunn hit the waiver wire today, giving teams 48 hours to place claims on the slugger -- and the wide expectation

is that multiple NL teams will put in a claim on him -- Rockies? Giants? -- and that there is no chance that AL teams like the

Rays or White Sox or Yankees ever get a shot at Dunn, who is working on his seventh straight year of 38 or more homers.

4 minutes ago via web Retweet

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
I was listening to the game on the Score and DJ mentioned the Dodgers sold MannyWood to a different comapny to advertise. Hopefuly that signals the end to ManRam in La and the start of Mannywood (on the bench since he would DH) on the Southside.

The Dodgers just added $7 million to their payroll in trades, according to the number SI ran today. They probably need a sponsor to help cover that.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Just listened to the score and Bernstien said the White Sox are going to wait until Manny goes through NL waivers before they claim him. Said LA is sick of him and Manny only wants to play on the White Sox.

Most importantly, that he isn't actually hurt. He's just being Manny.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Just listened to the score and Bernstien said the White Sox are going to wait until Manny goes through NL waivers before they claim him. Said LA is sick of him and Manny only wants to play on the White Sox.

So, if an NL team, say like the Giants, claimed Manny, would manny be able to use the NTC stuff he has to block a waiver claim?