Waiver Wire Thread

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
So Manny is actually hurt...?

I think he is. He was pulled out of the middle of a game at one point after awkwardly rounding 2nd base I believe.

I really don't believe this crap B&B were saying about him not being hurt.

I do believe we would be one of the teams he would like to play for.

I just dont see the Sox committing $7mill to him for the rest of the year. If they get him it will be because he cleared waivers and the Dodgers threw in a bunch of cash.

There was a reason why the Sox didnt offer anything for him earlier, because they dont feel like he was worth that money or talent in return for the 6 weeks he gives you.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
I think he is. He was pulled out of the middle of a game at one point after awkwardly rounding 2nd base I believe.

I really don't believe this crap B&B were saying about him not being hurt.

I do believe we would be one of the teams he would like to play for.

He's likely a long-time steroid abuser who's now off the juice. A pulled muscle for him should be as common as waking up in the morning for us or the towel drill for a Cubs pitcher.

There is a bright side to an injury setback...if Manny were to return this weekend and the Dodgers reeled off 4-5 wins in a row, they might decide they were close enough to run with it.

If Manny's back on August 20th, it's possible the Dodgers could finally consider themselves to be out of it by then and might be more willing to deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
He's likely a long-time steroid abuser who's now off the juice. A pulled muscle for him should be as common as waking up in the morning for us or the towel drill for a Cubs pitcher.

He's also a 38 year old malcontent whose had everything come easily to him because he is so incredibly talented.

I doubt he puts in the time to put himself into game shape like Jim Thome does.

I don't really put much into the steroids thing. That may be a contributing factor, but let's not act as though this would be that abnormal for a player his age who had never touched steroids.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
He's also a 38 year old malcontent whose had everything come easily to him because he is so incredibly talented.

I doubt he puts in the time to put himself into game shape like Jim Thome does.

I don't really put much into the steroids thing. That may be a contributing factor, but let's not act as though this would be that abnormal for a player his age who had never touched steroids.

Honestly, everything I've heard about ManRam suggests that his workouts are crazy (he supposedly got some of his supply through a gym right down the street from me when I was in Pasadena) which is entirely consistent with him being a juicer; you can pull off some crazy workouts. I think he used to get in great shape because the roids allowed him to do workouts that mere mortals couldn't do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
Honestly, everything I've heard about ManRam suggests that his workouts are crazy (he supposedly got some of his supply through a gym right down the street from me when I was in Pasadena) which is entirely consistent with him being a juicer; you can pull off some crazy workouts. I think he used to get in great shape because the roids allowed him to do workouts that mere mortals couldn't do.

Interesting.

It's difficult to see his body shape because his uniform has always been so incredibly baggy.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
I just dont see the Sox committing $7mill to him for the rest of the year. If they get him it will be because he cleared waivers and the Dodgers threw in a bunch of cash.

There was a reason why the Sox didnt offer anything for him earlier, because they dont feel like he was worth that money or talent in return for the 6 weeks he gives you.

Why would the dodgers throw in any cash? If we claimed him they could dump his whole salary.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
Why would the dodgers throw in any cash? If we claimed him they could dump his whole salary.

He's saying if he went unclaimed. If he goes unclaimed, they can negotiate with us, or anyone else, just like a regular trade that happens before the waiver deadline on July 31.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
If anyone was willing to pick up his whole salary, there would have been a deadline deal between the Dodgers and that team.

Not necessarily....not if the Dodgers think they're still in this thing. I would strongly bet that if the Dodgers had come back and said "well give you Manny for some A-baller if you pick up the $6 million he has left for this season", KW would have wound up taking it. Otherwise, there's no reason to even ask about Manny.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
American League Team Claims Papelbon

I think the Red Sox would be more than willing to deal Papelbon. Daniel Bard has been pretty dominant this year and is under their control and much cheaper for the next 5 or 6 years. Papelbon is due another big arbitration number next year, then becomes a FA.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
I think the Red Sox would be more than willing to deal Papelbon. Daniel Bard has been pretty dominant this year and is under their control and much cheaper for the next 5 or 6 years. Papelbon is due another big arbitration number next year, then becomes a FA.

The Red Sox aren't going to give him up for beans though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
How could this happen with salary he makes?!?

What about the economic devastation?!?

Because there is 0.0% chance of Boston letting him go.

That and Papelbon isn't a washed up, overpaid drama queen like Manny is.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
picked this up from motownsports.com ....who knows if its true...."Dickerson on radio with the claim the Dunn has cleared waivers...."

I wonder from what I've heard is true about teams not wanting to even deal with Rizzo in discussions anymore...

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
I wonder from what I've heard is true about teams not wanting to even deal with Rizzo in discussions anymore...

If that was the case, someone would have claimed him out of spite, just to screw over Rizzo. You know he won't let him go for nothing, so you put in the claim, just to make sure he can't trade him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
If that was the case, someone would have claimed him out of spite, just to screw over Rizzo. You know he won't let him go for nothing, so you put in the claim, just to make sure he can't trade him.

Yea but he can easily just pull him back. The Nats are still trying to resign this guy, and they won't lose him for nothing. They will gladly take the Type A picks and move on if it came to that. They have been trying to re-sign him for a while.