The Official Run Into Outs Thread

Quin

QUOTE (qwerty @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
Of course this was not responded to. Coincidences are a damn pain in the ass.

Yeah they are. That lineup optimizer has its flaws obviously, but I found it pretty weird that it was so dead on.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
I don't even a runs created stat is necessary. The eyeball test works just fine for me. April and May virtually no offense at all...among the bottom in stats in all of baseball. Middle of the pack stats from June through now.

Then why do half of the research to find out if you are right or not? Did you only need the half that was convincing to you?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
Then why do half of the research to find out if you are right or not? Did you only need the half that was convincing to you?

My purpose of running those stats was to see how many outs we have given up and that's what I presented. If you want additional info feel free to do your own research.

here's the silliest thing about running Rios (or anyone) with two outs and Konerko up:

In the case of a homer, triple ,double or walk, it doesn't matter whether Rios is on second base or 1st base. The only time it matters is if Paul singles. Konerko has a combined 2518 hits+walks. He has 1402 total homers, triples and doubles, and walks combined. He has 1116 singles. In other words, there's around a 60% chance if Paul reaches that it doesn't matter whether Alex is on first base or second base, and that's before you even factor in CS percentage.

Secondly, why the f*** are you playing for 1 run, down 5?

Dumb, dumb, dumb. If Konerko kept that first inning going longer, who knows what happens last night.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
here's the silliest thing about running Rios (or anyone) with two outs and Konerko up:

In the case of a homer, triple ,double or walk, it doesn't matter whether Rios is on second base or 1st base. The only time it matters is if Paul singles. Konerko has a combined 2518 hits+walks. He has 1402 total walks, homers, triples and doubles, and walks combined. He has 1116 singles. In other words, there's around a 60% chance if Paul reaches that it doesn't matter whether Alex is on first base or second base, and that's before you even factor in CS percentage.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. If Konerko kept that first inning going longer, who knows what happens last night.

Great points. Even beyond your points as well though, it's an AL game, we're facing a really good offense with one of our bottom 2 starters on the mound, and our already bandbox of a ballpark was playing even smaller than usual with the heat and humidity. Playing for one run in the first inning isn't how you beat the 2010 version of the Minnesota Twins, especially not at The Cell on a hot night.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

In the case of a homer, triple ,double or walk, it doesn't matter whether Rios is on second base or 1st base. The only time it matters is if Paul singles. Konerko has a combined 2518 hits+walks. He has 1402 total homers, triples and doubles, and walks combined. He has 1116 singles. In other words, there's around a 60% chance if Paul reaches that it doesn't matter whether Alex is on first base or second base, and that's before you even factor in CS percentage.

And it was pretty obvious that they weren't going to go after Konerko with Kotsay on deck.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
Oh I guess it was just 1-0 in the first last night. Totally forgot the sequence of scoring there.

When is Ozzie going to get it through his head that it's ok to play for a goddamned 3 run homer in our park though

I really don't give a s*** what the score was honestly because your point still stands either way. You don't play for 1 run against an elite offensive team in our ballpark early in the game with your best (and most powerful) hitter at the plate.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Great points. Even beyond your points as well though, it's an AL game, we're facing a really good offense with one of our bottom 2 starters on the mound, and our already bandbox of a ballpark was playing even smaller than usual with the heat and humidity. Playing for one run in the first inning isn't how you beat the 2010 version of the Minnesota Twins, especially not at The Cell on a hot night.

These are exactly the thoughts I voiced to my companions at the game last night. Playing smallball on a night when the ball was absolutely flying out of the Cell, especially when the Sox fell behind early, made no sense. I also fault Ozzie for having 3 smallballers in the batting order (Pierre, Vizquel and Lillibridge, with exactly 1 HR each this year) for the entire game. I can understand wanting Vizquel's defense in the game early when Freddy was on the mound (Freddy, like Buehrle, needs all the defensive help he can get), but after Freddy was gone and the Sox had a big deficit to make up, and the Twins had already shown how the ball was flying, why not give our power hitters some at bats to try to get back into it? Viciedo could have played third and Jones could have played LF (it would have been nice to have Beckham available, but I understand the reason not to push him back into service too soon). If Vizquel is an end-of-game defensive substitute when we have the lead, why isn't Viciedo a middle-of-game offensive substitute when we have a big deficit to make up?

It wouldn't have helped much to have a power-hitting lefty DH last night. Kotsay was not the problem. The problem was the at bats that Pierre, Vizquel and Lillibridge got, on an ideal night for power hitters. We had power hitters on the bench - Ozzie just didn't use them.

That said, this is only one loss in the series, and we should win tonight, based on the pitching matchup (Danks vs. Perkins). That sets up Game Three to determine first place in the AL Central, at least for now. Go Sox!

But how will Paulie be able steal if Rios is only on second and not third?