Resenting Football

Buehrlesque

I went on a rant about this a while ago in the pet peeves thread.

I've become extremely indifferent about the NFL thanks to their near year-round coverage. With all of the training camp "news", meaningless and poorly played pre-season games full of scrubs getting the bulk of the playing time and constant analysis even if it's the middle of May, I'm generally sick of the NFL by about week 4.

Another problem is that with the TV coverage, I find most NFL games almost unwatchable. I absolutely despise the commercial-kickoff-commercial pattern that is pretty much standard. Between that and often long pauses for replay and injuries they simply have too many long lulls where nothing happens, especially in low scoring games where teams are exchanging punts. We don't need to see 10 replay angles that are completely useless or a guy writhing on the ground for 5 minutes interspaced with 6 replays of the injury happening, just go to commercial and come back with a shot of the best replay angle/guy leaving the field so you don't have to stall the action when things are actually happening. People always gripe about how slow and boring MLB games are, but NFL games are longer on average and have just as much down time.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like football but I just don't get as excited about it as the majority do. The year round coverage is something I wish would just go away and die. When it actually is football season, I find the sports section nearly unreadable for much of the week, with the Monday morning game/around the league recap and NBA coverage being the only redeeming qualities.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
I think the biggest reason football is so much more popular than any other sport is the short attention span of Americans, and more importantly, the American sports fan.

I agree with this. A lot of people I know refuse to watch baseball on tv and their litany of reasons usually follows the line of nothing happens, it's so slow, etc. They'll only watch if they go to the game where they can drink, people watch, and (presumably) not watch the game.

Also, in baseball guys aren't taken down with the force of small vehicle collisions every few moments. Not cool.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
I agree with this. A lot of people I know refuse to watch baseball on tv and their litany of reasons usually follows the line of nothing happens, it's so slow, etc. They'll only watch if they go to the game where they can drink, people watch, and (presumably) not watch the game.

And, get hit in the head with a baseball. They have dollar beer nights on Thursdays at Barons games and the crowd is so much different. I hate Thursday home games except for the eye candy.

Edited by JPN366

People who like football and not much else aren't real sports fans. It doesn't take much effort to like football. They watch 13 to 17 games a year and that's it. I knew one guy who argued that the absence of Colt McCoy from the BCS championship game did not matter and Alabama would have won anyway. Of course, he didn't even know who Colt McCoy even is or that he had been a Heisman finalist for so many years because he literally only watched the Alabama games and nothing else.

I should add that many of my afore-mentioned friends were #1 Blackhawks fans in the late stages of this past season, were all about Michael Phelps during his run, and were futbol hooligans this past June. Also, watch the f*** out if the Cubs are looking good towards the end of the regular season and/or postseason. Not sayin', just sayin'...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I love football, and I am a huge Bears fan (although unfortunately I agree about the stupidity of fanbase factor, ugh) but the overcommercialization of the NFL is what really dulls it for me. The round-the-clock coverage of everything is nauseating, and the annual Favre soap opera and things like the verbal fellating of Tom Brady, so I tend to avoid it as much as I can. This has costs though because I find myself not knowing things I normally would when I watch postgame coverage, shows throughout the week, and so on.

Basically everything I don't like about the NFL anymore revolves around the its relentless pursuit of revenue, and it just feels bogus as hell. The excessive commercials, the skyrocketing free agent deals, the ridiculous contracts given to rookies (costs which are passed down to the fans in various ways btw), needing DirecTV to get Sunday Ticket, the price of Sunday Ticket who only really care to watch one team, ticket costs going up every year for the same product, charging fans full price for pointless preseason games nobody gives a f*** about, exclusive licenses given to Reebok and EA Sports, I could go on. And a lot of people buy into this brand without questioning its value at all (and not really even being aware that they're doing it), so when you tell them something like this they look at you funny like "what's wrong with you, football is awesome!"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 07:35 PM)
I love football, and I am a huge Bears fan (although unfortunately I agree about the stupidity of fanbase factor, ugh) but the overcommercialization of the NFL is what really dulls it for me. The round-the-clock coverage of everything is nauseating, and the annual Favre soap opera and things like the verbal fellating of Tom Brady, so I tend to avoid it as much as I can. This has costs though because I find myself not knowing things I normally would when I watch postgame coverage, shows throughout the week, and so on.

Basically everything I don't like about the NFL anymore revolves around the its relentless pursuit of revenue, and it just feels bogus as hell. The excessive commercials, the skyrocketing free agent deals, the ridiculous contracts given to rookies (costs which are passed down to the fans in various ways btw), needing DirecTV to get Sunday Ticket, the price of Sunday Ticket who only really care to watch one team, ticket costs going up every year for the same product, charging fans full price for pointless preseason games nobody gives a f*** about, exclusive licenses given to Reebok and EA Sports, I could go on. And a lot of people buy into this brand without questioning its value at all (and not really even being aware that they're doing it), so when you tell them something like this they look at you funny like "what's wrong with you, football is awesome!"

That's the worse.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)

I agree with a lot of what you said, but considerign the revenue they generate and the inherent danger of the profession, football players can't be paid enough IMO.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
I agree with a lot of what you said, but considerign the revenue they generate and the inherent danger of the profession, football players can't be paid enough IMO.

That's true but the player salaries don't rise as a percentage of revenue from the owners, they rise with ticket/merchandise prices, etc.

I hate the start of football because it marks the end to summer. Since I was a kid, football training camp meant I was heading back to school and I have hated it forever. I like football when it gives me another excuse to drink on a cold ass day in December.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
That's true but the player salaries don't rise as a percentage of revenue from the owners, they rise with ticket/merchandise prices, etc.

Player salaries aren't driving up ticket/merch prices. Owners have the goal of making as much money as they can, and regardless of if the players make $50,000 or $5 million, they will charge as much for tickets/merch as people will pay.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
I know the exact feeling.

I think the biggest reason football is so much more popular than any other sport is the short attention span of Americans, and more importantly, the American sports fan.

I agree to a point. I know a lot of people that do not like baseball because it's "boring" or "slow". I love baseball, and I can usually sit and watch any game, provided it's not a blowout. To really enjoy a baseball game and understand a lot of what's going on, you can't have a short attention span.

But, I think another reason football is so popular is because games are more like an event than other sports. There are only 16 games (aside from playoffs), and if you're a fan of one or two teams you look forward to Thursday, Sunday, or Monday each week. With baseball, your team plays almost every day. With hockey, your team plays 3 times a week. With basketball...well who cares.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
Player salaries aren't driving up ticket/merch prices. Owners have the goal of making as much money as they can, and regardless of if the players make $50,000 or $5 million, they will charge as much for tickets/merch as people will pay.

It's one of many things. This is what i say when people are like "why do you care how much Matt Ryan makes, do you think the Falcons management gave that to him just because they're generous and they think he's awesome?"

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
I hate the start of football because it marks the end to summer. Since I was a kid, football training camp meant I was heading back to school and I have hated it forever. I like football when it gives me another excuse to drink on a cold ass day in December.

I use to hate NFL Primetime on Sundays because it was during that time I would have to take a shower and get ready for bed when I was little. Almost like the weekend was officially over and school was the next day.

Now I'm itching for football once June starts. Outside of watching the Sox, I couldnt care less about watching a baseball game. Just give me Quick Pitch on MLB Network and I'm good.

Ahhhh!! It happened again last night!! I had the Angels-Twins game on the TV, and multiple people walk in and are in full panic mode that I won't change the channel to the all-important Vikings-Niners pre-season game so they can see Brett Favre throw ONE DARN PASS. Seriously people?? His freaking press conference after the game was about 20X longer than his time on the field. One pass. One sack. Big deal!! I'm missing pennant race baseball for this? So aggravating.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
OK, I don't know how popular this topic is going to be, but I am curious to see if there is anybody else out there like me. Does anybody else somewhat resent football for taking all the national and local attention away from baseball once NFL training camp starts?

Sometimes it feels like the trade deadline July 31 is the last time baseball gets the spotlight, from a coverage/attention point of view. Then NFL training camp starts, followed by the ultra-meaningless preseason games that are really hyped up, (then 20 pages of coverage about Cutler's two, yes, two passes), and baseball doesn't really take center stage again until the World Series.

I work at a bar with one big main TV at the front. Not once, not twice, but THREE times over the past two weeks I was asked to change the channel from a pennant race baseball game (twice it was the Sox) to a pre-season football game. I know I shouldn't complain about other people's preferences, but this always manages to get me frustrated.

Don't get me wrong, I AM a Bears fan. But I am far and away a baseball fan first. Football only really matters to me on Sundays in the fall/winter. I don't hate football, but I can't stand how America and Chicago makes it such a big deal, bigger than baseball, while there are pennant races going on. Or when the Sox tank and a popular post on Sox message boards is "I've got one thing to say: Go Bears!" To me, the Sox are so much more important.

Anyway, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. Football is king, in this city and in this country, and I should just accept it. But does anybody else resent it a little?

Dude, I feel EXACTLY the same way you do. I HATE football and it always pisses me off how football gets more national attention. It also pisses me off how newpapers devote so many pages to football and the Bears and I gotta flip through a ton of pages just to find the baseball articles. >:-|

And if I was working in a bar with just 1 tv, and someone asked to change the channel to a football game while a Sox game was on, I would've just lied to the clown and said other people in the bar are watching the Sox game.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
Ahhhh!! It happened again last night!! I had the Angels-Twins game on the TV, and multiple people walk in and are in full panic mode that I won't change the channel to the all-important Vikings-Niners pre-season game so they can see Brett Favre throw ONE DARN PASS. Seriously people?? His freaking press conference after the game was about 20X longer than his time on the field. One pass. One sack. Big deal!! I'm missing pennant race baseball for this? So aggravating.

Favre is a vampire that has glamoured the nation and he needs to be staked. A friend from Wisconsin told me that Packers fans in Green Bay were getting sick of him years ago.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)

You're missing an important part of the equation here. Your goal is to watch important, pennant race baseball while getting paid to not solely watch the television. The following is what is expected from a paid employee of Joe's Sports Shack or whatever bar you work at...

You: Work

Them: Pay money, consume things, get blasted, and get what they want on tv.

It's pretty easy. At least they aren't asking for a dogshow.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
You're missing an important part of the equation here. Your goal is to watch important, pennant race baseball while getting paid to not solely watch the television. The following is what is expected from a paid employee of Joe's Sports Shack or whatever bar you work at...

You: Work

Them: Pay money, consume things, get blasted, and get what they want on tv.

It's pretty easy. At least they aren't asking for a dogshow.

Haha, true I guess. But it doesn't mean I have to like it!

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)
I couldn't agree more with you.

I find it that much more annoying since I consider the Bears to effectively be the Cubs of the NFL. Yes, they did win a title in some of our lifetimes, but they have a really annoying fan base and a sense of entitlement and royalty that is based entirely on distant history/success versus the present doings of the team.

That's the other thing about Bear's fans. Their knowledge of NFL History is nonexistent. Hallas may have had a hand in the popularity of the NFL but there's no dynasty like that of the Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers. If you go back even to the late 60's the only tradition the Bears have is great players on sucky teams.

I don't what what other fan bases are like but with Sox and Hawk fans, if the team sucks, people stay home. Cub fans are starting to do this since the Twins have better attendance.