Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
That simply isn't true. Weber has had one team underperform at Illinois and that was last year. They were a 5 seed two years ago with Meacham and Frazier starting. His first 3 years at Illinois he had top 5 seeds as well. When he has talent he has won big. Illinois lack of results the last few years is directly related to poor recruiting which has now been rectified.

He has no idea what he's talking about, he's an ISU guy who just wants to bash Illinois and the Big Ten. Clearly anyone that has paid attention to college basketball the past several seasons knows essentially no one was calling the Big Ten the best conference in the country, or close to it.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
This has nothing to do with it. It's about fans of Big Ten teams thinking they are superior when they are on about the same level if not lower than the Big 12.

Hey! The Big 12 is loaded this year. Four teams in the top 20 of both polls and Texas isn't one of them (because Texas is almost always overrated).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 12:08 AM)
Hey! The Big 12 is loaded this year. Four teams in the top 20 of both polls and Texas isn't one of them (because Texas is almost always overrated).

Final score of Mizzou - Iowa State this year might be the Tigers winning by a 150-130 margin.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
He has no idea what he's talking about, he's an ISU guy who just wants to bash Illinois and the Big Ten. Clearly anyone that has paid attention to college basketball the past several seasons knows essentially no one was calling the Big Ten the best conference in the country, or close to it.

Haha what a joke if you don't think every Big Ten fan has overrated the Big Ten the last few years you're crazy. At the beginning of every year even if the national media says nothing about the Big ten, every single B10 fan thinks its the greatest conference of all time when in reality they end up under the ACC and Big East. This has nothing to do with the Valley and little brother syndrome its just fact.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
I have a feeling Drake is going to beat Iowa State tonight...NOT!

Not only is Hoiberg going to be a great coach, but Lutz was the perfect hire as his assistant.

I agree, Freddy is going to be a very good coach. He's a smart guy, and he is a guy who just knows the game at a level that other ex-players don't. I also like his approach so far.

I'm psyched for this new era to begin at Iowa State. I still remember Freddy making me look stupid on the court way back when, but also, I remember how great a guy he was. I'd root for any ISU coach, but having known Freddy personally, I'm really getting back into the team this year.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 01:21 AM)
Haha what a joke if you don't think every Big Ten fan has overrated the Big Ten the last few years you're crazy. At the beginning of every year even if the national media says nothing about the Big ten, every single B10 fan thinks its the greatest conference of all time when in reality they end up under the ACC and Big East. This has nothing to do with the Valley and little brother syndrome its just fact.

I dont think I've ever said the B10 is the greatest conference of all time, so there goes your "every Big Ten Fan" theory. The worst part about his post which apparently you are now defending is mentioning how every team outside of MSU is inconsistent, when in fact the top of the conference has been very good consistently.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 07:31 AM)
I agree, Freddy is going to be a very good coach. He's a smart guy, and he is a guy who just knows the game at a level that other ex-players don't. I also like his approach so far.

I'm psyched for this new era to begin at Iowa State. I still remember Freddy making me look stupid on the court way back when, but also, I remember how great a guy he was. I'd root for any ISU coach, but having known Freddy personally, I'm really getting back into the team this year.

It's very much like the Orr-Hallihan dynamic. Lutz does most of the coaching, like Hallihan did. Hoiberg's more of the figurehead.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
Very much looking forward to the Illinois-Texas game tonight. Hopefully they come out and make a statement. I'm still not sold that this team is a whole lot better than last year, but I guess we'll see what happens the next 3-4 days.

Tristan Thompson is going to be very good, but Texas should get abused on the boards.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
Very much looking forward to the Illinois-Texas game tonight. Hopefully they come out and make a statement. I'm still not sold that this team is a whole lot better than last year, but I guess we'll see what happens the next 3-4 days.

They obviously have the talent & depth, but they need to combine all that into one well-played 40-minute game of basketball, which was their problem last year. I really want to see them play Pitt tommorrow, so I hope they do show up tonight. If they really are as good as the pre-season hype, then Texas is a team they should usually beat on a neutral court. Get it done Bruce.

What is odd is that he keeps saying "consistency", well here are the most consistent teams:

Current NCAA streaks:

Kansas: 21 (1990 - 2010)

Duke: 15 (1996 - 2010)

Michigan State: 13 (1998 - 2010)

Gonzaga, Texas, Wisconsin: 12

As a Wisconsin fan, I constantly see my team underrated. So im not even sure what overrated would mean. The guy who is saying the Big 10 is overrated and inconsistent didnt even mention Wisconsin. That is how underrated they are.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
What is odd is that he keeps saying "consistency", well here are the most consistent teams:

Current NCAA streaks:

Kansas: 21 (1990 - 2010)

Duke: 15 (1996 - 2010)

Michigan State: 13 (1998 - 2010)

Gonzaga, Texas, Wisconsin: 12

As a Wisconsin fan, I constantly see my team underrated. So im not even sure what overrated would mean. The guy who is saying the Big 10 is overrated and inconsistent didnt even mention Wisconsin. That is how underrated they are.

Wisconsin is not the team to use as an argument for why the Big Ten is underrated.

Why is that?

Wisconsin has been consistently rated not in the top 25 to start the year, consistently has its "talent" level attacked, yet all they do is produce results.

# At the end of the 2008-09 season Ryan had a 73.3 winning percentage at Wisconsin.

# He has a 76.7 career winning percentage. Among coaches with 500 career wins his percentage ranks second only to Roy Williams.

# In Big Ten Conference play Ryan has a 70.7 winning percentage. That ranks first all time among Big Ten coaches with at least five years of experience.

Wisconsin is one of the most underrated teams every year, which means that the Big 10's perception is usually lower because people dont respect Wisconsin.

I went and looked at Final Four appearances over the last ten years and the big ten finishes third among conferences. I'll admit they have done better than I thought but the ACC has by far been the best conference. Every year I do hear people claiming it is the year the Big 10 will win the ACC/Big 10 challenge and they have only won it once. It is not you guys either, usually on here everyone is very knowledgeable outside of a few Illinois fans that just feel Kev and I are out to bring them down for whatever reason. I certainly don't cheer for Illinois and granted I enjoy seeing them lose, but I really don't care what they do. I'm much more concerned with MVC teams.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
I went and looked at Final Four appearances over the last ten years and the big ten finishes third among conferences. I'll admit they have done better than I thought but the ACC has by far been the best conference. Every year I do hear people claiming it is the year the Big 10 will win the ACC/Big 10 challenge and they have only won it once. It is not you guys either, usually on here everyone is very knowledgeable outside of a few Illinois fans that just feel Kev and I are out to bring them down for whatever reason. I certainly don't cheer for Illinois and granted I enjoy seeing them lose, but I really don't care what they do. I'm much more concerned with MVC teams.

How do you figure? Since 2001 (last 10 years) the ACC has 9 final four and the Big East has 8. I havent looked at the 1 seeds but just using memory I'd have to imagine it's awfully close, especially with the 3 out 4 the Big East pulled a couple years ago. And, other than UNC and Duke the ACC has been awfully quiet (Marlyand's NC withstanding). The Big East has been represented by UCONN, Cuse, GTown, Nova, L'ville and WV. Much more strength in the conference.

And Badger, it's not as if I think Wisconsin is overrated, I just don't think they are underrated. They are a good program with an excellent coach and they are pretty consistent. But, they have had some pretty bad flameouts in the Tourney and i'll admit some bias, I just absolutely hate the style of ball they (and most of the Big 10) play. It works, yes, but they just never scare me, no matter how good they supposedly are in a year or what they're ranked etc...

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
How do you figure? Since 2001 (last 10 years) the ACC has 9 final four and the Big East has 8. I havent looked at the 1 seeds but just using memory I'd have to imagine it's awfully close, especially with the 3 out 4 the Big East pulled a couple years ago.

And Badger, it's not as if I think Wisconsin is overrated, I just don't think they are underrated. They are a good program with an excellent coach and they are pretty consistent. But, they have had some pretty bad flameouts in the Tourney and i'll admit some bias, I just absolutely hate the style of ball they (and most of the Big 10) play. It works, yes, but they just never scare me, no matter how good they supposedly are in a year or what they're ranked etc...

Yes, the Big East has been close in Final Four teams and I haven't looked at number one seeds myself but the Big East is such a large league and usually gets more teams in the tournament than any other conference that I have to give it to the ACC.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
Yes, the Big East has been close in Final Four teams and I haven't looked at number one seeds myself but the Big East is such a large league and usually gets more teams in the tournament than any other conference that I have to give it to the ACC.

But the ACC is so top-heavy. If Duke or UNC is down the whole conference is down. Between UCONN, Syracuse, Georgetown, Nova, Louisville, Pitt, Marquette, WVU you have so many teams that cycle through championship caliber years. Obviously it's a bigger conference so they have more teams to chose from but that shouldnt be used as a reason IMO. And for such a big conference they usually only have 2 or 3 patsies

But, they have had some pretty bad flameouts in the Tourney and i'll admit some bias, I just absolutely hate the style of ball they (and most of the Big 10) play. It works, yes, but they just never scare me, no matter how good they supposedly are in a year or what they're ranked etc...

Wisconsin only hasnt made it out of the first round 1 time under Bo Ryan.

They have made Sweet Sixteen or better 3 out of the last 9 years.

Most teams dont make the Sweet Sixteen 1/3 seasons, Especially not teams that are constantly rated outside of the top 25 to start the season. It would be one thing if they were consistently rated in the top 25, but they are always left out.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Wisconsin only hasnt made it out of the first round 1 time under Bo Ryan.

They have made Sweet Sixteen or better 3 out of the last 9 years.

Most teams dont make the Sweet Sixteen 1/3 seasons, Especially not teams that are constantly rated outside of the top 25 to start the season. It would be one thing if they were consistently rated in the top 25, but they are always left.

Arne't they usually placed in the 15-20 range though? It seems that way at least. And I dunno, I guess it's just the way they win a lot of their games makes it hard for me to say they are underrated.