Pulling for Billy

zach23

He gives me a heart attack everytime he is in, but I am really pulling for Koch to get it together and join the fun. From this article, at least he has a good attitude about his struggles. I hope he gets it all together.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to have Billy kick his ass into gear, if we are going have an chance of making a deep run into the playoffs. I really hope he turns it around, but right now JM has to be extra smart about where and when he uses him. He needs to give Koch chances where he has a better than normal chance to succeed.

We have to have Billy kick his ass into gear, if we are going have an chance of making a deep run into the playoffs.  I really hope he turns it around, but right now JM has to be extra smart about where and when he uses him.  He needs to give Koch chances where he has a better than normal chance to succeed.

So basically, against dormant offenses with big leads.

basically yes.  But you definately aviod bringing him in with runners on, or with one runs leads, or trying to keep us close so that we have a chance to rally... those kind of things.

It's too bad you aren't manager, I'm sure JM will find a way of mishandling this.

Bottom line -- if Koch starts throwing 97-100 MPH all of a sudden, our bullpen goes from being somewhat of a question mark to very solid, and could quite easily make the difference in the remainder of the season and post-season (if we happen to make it that far). Instead of using ?, Marte, Gordon, we go to Gordon, Marte, Koch (IMO, Koch would be our closer again if he regains his velocity). And instead of needing 7 IP from our starters to feel comfortable, we could get by with 6 (or even 5 if Schoenweis and Wunsch pitch well). Could make all the difference in the world.

Bottom line -- if Koch starts throwing 97-100 MPH all of a sudden, our bullpen goes from being somewhat of a question mark to very solid, and could quite easily make the difference in the remainder of the season and post-season (if we happen to make it that far).  Instead of using ?, Marte, Gordon, we go to Gordon, Marte, Koch (IMO, Koch would be our closer again if he regains his velocity).  And instead of needing 7 IP from our starters to feel comfortable, we could get by with 6 (or even 5 if Schoenweis and Wunsch pitch well).  Could make all the difference in the world.

That's a huge IF.

At least he is taking the heat and not making excuses.

"I've disappointed everybody ... all of them. The guys in the clubhouse, who have seen what I've done in the past. Most of them have played against me. Obviously, the organization who believed in me and gave up quality players to bring me over here to get the job done in the 'pen. And the fans, I've let down the fans that paid good money to come out and see Koch throw 99 or 100 (mph) and be a dominant pitcher. I haven't been that yet.''

Anyone can struggle and slump. I hope he does like PK did and hangs in there and gets it going.

That's a huge IF.

I disagree with the huge part. He hit 97 a couple times the other night, and a few more 95's and 96's from what I heard. A few more ticks, and hitters start to get nervous. Then his breaking stuff becomes more effective, and he's an entirely different pitcher.

He'll hit 100 in a game before the end of August. Call it a hunch.

At least he is taking the heat and not making excuses.

"I've disappointed everybody ... all of them. The guys in the clubhouse, who have seen what I've done in the past. Most of them have played against me. Obviously, the organization who believed in me and gave up quality players to bring me over here to get the job done in the 'pen. And the fans, I've let down the fans that paid good money to come out and see Koch throw 99 or 100 (mph) and be a dominant pitcher. I haven't been that yet.''

Anyone can struggle and slump. I hope he does like PK did and hangs in there and gets it going.

I love his attitude, and his quote is so honest it's refreshing. I also like how he showed shades of Ricky Henderson with the talking in the 3rd person. :D

I love how he refers to himself in the third person.

I'm pulling for him, he's not getting it done- but I like the guy. I've watched him during games and he's is animated in the bullpen - he cheers the team on because he knows it the one thing he can do if he can't help them on the mound. He looks like a great teammate.

Karma say he's gonna get the heater back because he didn't do anything to deserve to lose it. Beane and Howe were the ones who overworked him in Oakland last year.

Let's hope he can get his karmic retribution saving the clinching game of the 2003 ALCS against the A's.

I didn't see 97, I saw 95 once but mostly 92-93. He needs to add a pitch and he needs to start throwing it NOW. A cutter or splitter(cutter should be the easiest), something that looks like his fastball but with movement. Him thinking he's going to magically get his velocity back is a pipedream, it just doesn't happen in-season. If he doesn't he's going to find himself on the DL come the end of August so they can have an injury roster spot for the playoffs.

I didn't see 97, I saw 95 once but mostly 92-93. He needs to add a pitch and he needs to start throwing it NOW. A cutter or splitter(cutter should be the easiest), something that looks like his fastball but with movement. Him thinking he's going to magically get his velocity back is a pipedream, it just doesn't happen in-season. If he doesn't he's going to find himself on the DL come the end of August so they can have an injury roster spot for the playoffs.

I disagree, the lowest I saw him throw on Wednesday was 95. The highest was 97. I think he is coming back.

If it was only 95, then I'm less confident--I was only going by somebody telling me he hit 97.

But I do think he can get his velocity back, "magically." If it's some kind of extended dead-arm period, then that's usually what happens--you pitch through it or rest a bit, and the arm kind of snaps back. If something else is wrong though, then 100mph might not be realistic this season.

I don't think a pennant race is the time to experiment with new pitches.

Until I hear of an injury, I'm sticking with 100 by the end of August. He'll find it if it can be found.

Maybe the baseball gods will gives us a gift and Koch will come in next week against KC throwing heat and saving the game that takes over first place for good while a sold out Cell is rocking.

I would love to see that when I am there Monday or Tuesday.

I know Koch can be a as good as he was last year and he isnt even that bad this year.

He cant be the mop up man he needs to get some shots at closing and I dont think its going to hurt the team.. Koch is going to be a great for us and next year will be even better, we cant just give up on him we need to support him

He could easily start b****ing about not playing and losing his job insted he admits he has been dissapointing this year and he is going to work hard to make it up to the fans and his teammates.. Thats a classy thing to do

Not just Koch but the whole pen has me holding my breath. I couldn't watch the game last night and just saw updates on ESPN but with a 2 run lead in the 8th I figured we were ripe for catching. If we had Smoltz I would have broken out the broom then.

To make a run we need a couple guy at a time getting hot and hope September is good to us. Not looking too far ahead but our schedule isn't the best from here on in.

Listen, i love Koch, i have a Koch jeresey, and i will stilll wear it to the sox games. Is tough to go out and watch him struggle when u know its not really his fault. You have to feel for the guy, especailly in that artical. I really hope he can turn it around, but if and WHEN we make it to the playoffs, i still dont know if  we can depened on him.

Don't get me wrong. If he's wearing a Sox uni, I hope the absolute best for him. I just don't see him regaining 5-8 MPH in velocity. Like Zach said though, if he comes in on Monday or Tuesday and the crowd can get him jacked, who knows. I'd love to see 99-101 MPH readings on the radar when Billy's jacked..... and I'll be cheering for him even if he can't hit 99-101 MPH on Monday and/or Tuesday because he's White Sox.