Mayor Daley Won't Run for Re-Election

HuskyCaucasian

I'll take an even money bet right now, Daley is never indicted on any criminal charges. His lieutenants will be, but not him. I actually think that, most or all of the time, he himself was not involved in any direct corrupt practices. I think he says "we are going to do X", he finds people who he knows get s*** done, and tells them to find a way to get it done. He knows deep down that some of their methods may be wrong, but he doesn't deal with it.

And that to me, was his failure. I think Daley does truly love Chicago, and really did want to make it a great city (which he had a major part in accomplishing). I think his results were generally quite good. But the "how" part he left to others, and never really dove into that aspect, because he didn't want to see it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
Have many of Daley's "lieutenants" gone down previously? I can't recall very many specific cases, and as such, I'm wondering how much things will change once he's personally gone.

Well, many have exited his administration under a "cloud", if you will. I don't know if any of his close advisors have actually been indicted - I can't think of any off hand (maybe someone else can).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
Well, many have exited his administration under a "cloud", if you will. I don't know if any of his close advisors have actually been indicted - I can't think of any off hand (maybe someone else can).

I'll totally agree that there has been a "cloud" throughout his term there...I just don't feel like there have been many people thrown under the bus and actually sent to prison for anything. As such, I'll believe that someone will be indicted when the indictments roll down, and until then I'll express skepticism.

For a similar example...I'm going to express skepticism that the Twins will not win their next 30 games until they lose a g*dd*mn game.

Well this was interesting if nothing else....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/blogentries/i...opuz5STgLeVwBLu

Search Warrant For Chicago's Mayor Daley?

Sunday, August 01, 2010

July 31, 2010 - Chicago police officers were overheard talking about both a search warrant and Mayor Daley at 9:43 p.m. tonight. The officers, whose names are unknown, did not know that one of their microphone keys was "open," or pressed down, which allowed their conversation to be overheard on police radio scanners. We overheard the conversation on frequency 460.050, which is used by CPD Zone 2, Districts 19 and 23 on the city's north side.

The female dispatcher frantically called out to all officers on that frequency to "Watch your keys, watch your keys, you're talking about a search warrant." Moments later, she said, "Watch your keys, you're talking about the mayor!"

The mayor does not approve search warrants. That requires a judge. So why were the officers discussing a search warrant and Mayor Daley? Is Daley the warrant's target?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
Well this was interesting if nothing else....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/blogentries/i...opuz5STgLeVwBLu

Seems weird. If something was underway to indict Daley, CPD isn't who would be picking him up anyway. It would probably be the Feds. Unless Daley has done something criminal that was not associated with his office, and was just a plain old criminal act. That seems pretty unlikely.

Also, if they were saying "for Daley", remember that there is an alderman, and others, with that name.

I don't think they'll indict him on anything (not for want of trying). This is just personal conjecture--but Daley doesn't seem the type to walk away from a fight. I don't think indictments alone would be enough to make him walk away. I guess I never realized how old he was--i thought he was still in his early 60s late fifties.

I will say this for him, when I think about other Rust Belt cities Chicago comes out way ahead. Like NSS said, I don't doubt Mayor Daley loves Chicago.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
Word on the street is that the feds may hammer at jesse jr and rahmn in the next Blago trial to keep them out of the running for the mayoral position.

Wess also may getting his walking papers.

Why? Feds could care less who runs for Mayor, UNLESS they have something brewing against them specifically. Otherwise, they could care less.

Weis will almost surely be out with the new mayor, unless the new mayor is a Daley lackey.