Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
I'm interested in where you started working to gain experience. Even internships. It's tough trying to break through and I'm graduating next year for Database Management. I love doing other things in IT and IS, but DM has a lot of programming and I also want to dabble in programming if I want to do other things that are closely related.

If you are in Chicago look at the various exchanges and financial firms. They are always looking for people.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
Anyone have any special tips on phone interviews?

I've done fairly well with them in the past, but would love to hear if anyone has any tips..

More seriously though, you should always do them from a land line phone. Cell phone just never works well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
More seriously though, you should always do them from a land line phone. Cell phone just never works well.

Oh, that's a great point...they have my cell phone number currently...I should probably give them my land line and have them call that.

Thanks for the tip!

This is for something I would have never thought to apply for, but I have a buddy out in Portland who works for this company, and pestered me to apply. After like 3 months, they called me yesterday to set up a phone interview. It's a solid position, dispatching the energy from wind farms, so I'd like to do well, even though I am still waiting on the decision for a position with my own company.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)

Thanks Matt...called them and made the change...my cell service can get a bit iffy, so this was a great tip!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
Thanks Matt...called them and made the change...my cell service can get a bit iffy, so this was a great tip!

I always find it is easier to walk around while doing the interview so I don't get too nervous or find myself distracted by anything (e.g., email, soxtalk...), but I'll still take notes on what is going on and who is saying what (especially when there's more than one interviewer).

I also try a little harder to ask some questions earlier in the interview so it doesn't get too one sided with them asking all the questions and so I can show off whatever it is I want them to see/know/hear.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)

Stand up, act like it's a presentation.

Some people say "smile" when you're talking, but I think that's a load of s***.

Try not to pause to long, yet let them talk when they want to talk.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 1, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
Stand up, act like it's a presentation.

Some people say "smile" when you're talking, but I think that's a load of s***.

Try not to pause to long, yet let them talk when they want to talk.

I agree. I stood up for basically my entire last phone interview and thought it worked well. Though, I do think smiling helps convey a certain tone. If you say a sentence while smiling and then try saying it while forcing yourself not to smile, you can hear a difference. But that's just me.

Edited by dasox24

Yeah, I usually sort of pace around...it just helps me collect my thoughts a bit more easily. The key is to make sure it doesn't sound like I am doing so...

I also try to force myself to smile a bit, just because otherwise I can tend to go a bit Ben Stein from time to time...:)

Just wanted to say I received an offer today from my #1 choice, and I'll be accepting it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help, everyone, that I've ever received in this thread.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
Just wanted to say I received an offer today from my #1 choice, and I'll be accepting it tomorrow.

Congratulations! Is this in Boeing?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
Congratulations! Is this in Boeing?

Actually, it's not. It's a company specializing in supply chain software: Manhattan Associates. I'll basically be managing accounts for current customers and working on teams to implement software to new customers.

As awesome as Boeing would be, this job is exactly what I wanted. There's something about the software industry that really intrigues the heck out of me. It just seems cool. The culture of Manhattan is awesome. Everybody was great on my visit last week. Plus, it's in Atlanta. And while I wouldn't have minded going out to Seattle, with all things about equal as far as compensation, etc., I'd rather stay in the Southeast.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
Actually, it's not. It's a company specializing in supply chain software: Manhattan Associates. I'll basically be managing accounts for current customers and working on teams to implement software to new customers.

As awesome as Boeing would be, this job is exactly what I wanted. There's something about the software industry that really intrigues the heck out of me. It just seems cool. The culture of Manhattan is awesome. Everybody was great on my visit last week. Plus, it's in Atlanta. And while I wouldn't have minded going out to Seattle, with all things about equal as far as compensation, etc., I'd rather stay in the Southeast.

Congrats, that's great news.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)

Congrats!

:headbang

Thanks everyone! As you can imagine, it's a tremendous weight off my shoulders.

Now for one more question: Should I start on May 23 or August 8? Those are my options. I'm leaning towards August since that would give me a whole summer to do whatever I wanted. But, I'd also get 11 more weeks of pay if I start in May, and I'm really excited to start my job and I feel like I'll go crazy waiting 3 more months. Any suggestions?

Btw, I graduate on May 13 so that would give me 10 days if I choose the May start date.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)

Now for one more question: Should I start on May 23 or August 8? Those are my options. I'm leaning towards August since that would give me a whole summer to do whatever I wanted. But, I'd also get 11 more weeks of pay if I start in May, and I'm really excited to start my job and I feel like I'll go crazy waiting 3 more months. Any suggestions?

Btw, I graduate on May 13 so that would give me 10 days if I choose the May start date.

Start your job...time to start the real life, my friend...you'll still have fun in the summer even though you're working...

All depends on what you would do with that time off, would you travel or something like that? Do you have a life dream/goal that requires that much time off?

I know that personally I have been traveling in Europe/Morocco for 5 weeks and it's been a life dream of mine, if I didn't do it now, I definitely would've taken that time off later to be able to do it.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)

Do you have a ton of money already saved up? If not, that'll make for one boring summer.

Start the job in May, they may be trying to figure out if you are serious about working there, or would rather have a summer off...while they may still hire you, they may think less of you for future promotions, etc. in light of your decision.

Or, it may be nothing...and they may not care if you start in May or August.

Personally, you got the job you wanted the most...so take it now, and start in May. With the current job environment, I would leave nothing to chance to be perfectly honest.

Edited by Y2HH