Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 03:15 AM)
Well, I currently have one part time job and one paid internship which starts Monday, and I'm waiting to hear back from another (really, really good) part time job.

Are you going to the White Sox career day on May 24? That's a possibility for you since other organizations will be there.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)
Are you going to the White Sox career day on May 24? That's a possibility for you since other organizations will be there.

I wasn't even aware there was one, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Anywho, my broadcasting career officially starts tomorrow. Here's to the first day of the rest of my life...

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 1, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
Isn't it routinely rated the most expensive place to live in the US, even more than Manhattan?

It is technically 3rd behind NY and Honolulu, primarily because median income in SF is higher...at least in Honolulu's case...I've been contacted by company there and I'm just curious how far I should even let the process go prior to discussing the salary range...I usually don't mention it, but when it comes to CA companies, their housing is so ridiculous that it is a much larger issue than it is normally...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
It is technically 3rd behind NY and Honolulu, primarily because median income in SF is higher...at least in Honolulu's case...I've been contacted by company there and I'm just curious how far I should even let the process go prior to discussing the salary range...I usually don't mention it, but when it comes to CA companies, their housing is so ridiculous that it is a much larger issue than it is normally...

If it's a quality company based there, they would have to take that into account on their standard offer to new employees.

Getting close to landing a job in Indy. Survived the screening call with HR, phone interview with potential boss, in-person interview with potential boss, and next week have final interview with potential boss and his boss.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)

SF is a great city though, I love it.

I got offered a chance to move to NYC with my new gig, and I've had to negotiate some housing costs and it still isnt enough. You need at least a million for a decent place there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)
Getting close to landing a job in Indy. Survived the screening call with HR, phone interview with potential boss, in-person interview with potential boss, and next week have final interview with potential boss and his boss.

Good luck!

I am in this process as well, actually...I have had a couple companies approach me in recent weeks and I agreed to speak with them...have had the HR calls, the first phone interviews with the boss, and have been told to expect to fly-in for in-person interviews within the next 10 days...

I'm experiencing a lot of interest right now because I seem to have a rare combination of skills/experience between this trading/legal background...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:21 AM)
SF is a great city though, I love it.

I got offered a chance to move to NYC with my new gig, and I've had to negotiate some housing costs and it still isnt enough. You need at least a million for a decent place there.

Yeah, I would love to go to SF...and there are lots of great opportunities with this company...I will have to see what their salary range is...the guy basically let it slip in the interview that I am the only person on their radar that has the background they are looking for...then tried to backtrack and say I was just the first candidate they are interviewing...;)

I just don't think they are going to be willing to pay enough...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)

Have you researched where you would live? The downtown area isnt bad but I feel like alot of Indy people live in the burbs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
Yeah, I would love to go to SF...and there are lots of great opportunities with this company...I will have to see what their salary range is...the guy basically let it slip in the interview that I am the only person on their radar that has the background they are looking for...then tried to backtrack and say I was just the first candidate they are interviewing...;)

I just don't think they are going to be willing to pay enough...

Buying a place there is very painful because you just flat out dont feel like you are getting anything for your money unless you move out a bit farther on the train line. Renting is definitely what to do at least at first but that is still incredibly expensive. The good news is you will be gaining weight with how good the damn eats are there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)

Good luck... well all except for the having to live in Indy part.

Good luck... well all except for the having to live in Indy part.

Ha, well it would be a major step up from Louisville, plus my wife's family is all there.

I was really hoping for NW Indiana but wasn't getting anywhere up there.

At the very least it's about 90 more Sox games a year on TV without buying MLBEI.

Have you researched where you would live? The downtown area isnt bad but I feel like alot of Indy people live in the burbs.

Job would be in Carmel. Taking into account the location of the job, proximity to family, and school districts, our top choices would be Washington Twp, Brownsburg, Zionsville, or McCordsville.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
Ha, well it would be a major step up from Louisville, plus my wife's family is all there.

I was really hoping for NW Indiana but wasn't getting anywhere up there.

At the very least it's about 90 more Sox games a year on TV without buying MLBEI.

You've got me there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
Job would be in Carmel. Taking into account the location of the job, proximity to family, and school districts, our top choices would be Washington Twp, Brownsburg, Zionsville, or McCordsville.

Thats a nice area.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Anyone ever get their company to match offers from other employers?

Never have...but not a good idea. If you are going to go...go. Otherwise, your current company is going to have a bad impression of you. At least, IMHO.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
Never have...but not a good idea. If you are going to go...go. Otherwise, your current company is going to have a bad impression of you. At least, IMHO.

I've never asked for exactly that reason. If I made up my mind to interview and go, I am going.

Ack...this is what I was afraid people would say...

I'm involved in this really big project right now...not to toot my own horn, but if I were to leave, it would sllllooooowwww a LOT of things down...I would hate to leave them right now...

But a really really really good opportunity has just come up...a trading shop where a couple of my buddies have gone in the last 18 months or so has reached out to me for an open position they have...it's a significantly higher amount of money...and would be hard to just turn down outright...

I would like to give my current employer a chance to keep me rather than just walking off into the sunset...because I would like to stay here...I have a house here now, I'm comfortable, etc...but at the same time I don't know if I can just walk away from this opportunity that is being presented to me...and that's not even mentioning the SF opportunity that just presented itself as well...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
There is a trust barrier that gets broken. The firm won't believe in your loyalty anymore.

That is a potential risk...at the same time...loyalty isn't what it used to be...you don't work for the same company you entire career anymore...this stuff is cutthroat...but yeah...ack...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
That is a potential risk...at the same time...loyalty isn't what it used to be...you don't work for the same company you entire career anymore...this stuff is cutthroat...but yeah...ack...

Oh believe me I get that. But I don't mean it for the good of the company, I mean it for your own sake. They won't seriously look at you for promotions, raises, and bonuses because they think you could leave any day.

Shack, first off congrats on the job offers!

Second, what are the opportunities offered at this other company? Does the future look better there than where you currently are? I know you're on a huge Compliance project, and that could really be a project you can shine on. Would your current company be able to match or beat the new companies opportunities?

If not, and your salary is increased that much (plus it sounds like you have some good connections already there), than I would say go for it as long as you are comfortable putting your house up and stuff like that.