White Sox in win mode, not rebuild

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Please don't ever put Juan Pierre in the same sentence as Derek Jeter ever again in your natural life.

just stating the facts man, not saying theyre on the same level, just bringun the facts.

16th in the MLB in hits = fact

1st in MLB in steals= also fact

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
just stating the facts man, not saying theyre on the same level, just bringun the facts.

16th in the MLB in hits = fact

1st in MLB in steals= also fact

I really don't understand all of the Juan Pierre hate. Sure, he isn't Rickey Henderson, but who is. Personally I think that Juan played some pretty good defense, can play at least adequate CF if needed, and hit okay for a lead off guy. He seems to be will liked in the clubhouse and leads by example with his work ethic. He came up with quite a few clutch hits this last season as I recall. He started out slow, but I would hardly call Juan Pierre the reason for any of our offensive woes.

I would love to have a team where we could bat Juan 9th, but we don't, nor are we likely to have (afford) one in the near future. I'm sure there are a few guys out there who are better lead off guys, but I don't think any of them were on our team last year, nor are they likely to be on the Sox in 2011.

As for Derek Jeter, I'm sure that he has some qualities that the Yankees love and does some things better than Juan, but usually there is nothing but hate for Jeter on this board because he seems to be so overated, especially defensively. It seems to me that if Jeter were on the Sox he wouldn't even have a place to play according to most here because Ramirez is a much better shortstop.

All of this is JMHO of course, but I for one have no problem mentioning Juan Pierre and Derek Jeter in the same sentence as far as overall baseball abilities. The main thing that Jeter has going for him is that he plays in New York, for the Yankees.

O. K., I've said my peace, Flame away.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 14, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
The one thing I didnt like about Pierre this year was Ozzie's use of him. I can think of two things in particular. One being that as an aging veteran I think Ozzie needed to rest him a few more days. Before we even got to Sept I had a gut feeling that Pierre would begin to wear down a bit due to the immense load on his legs and body over the first 5 months, and I was right, he hit something like .232 in Sept. Second, I didnt like how Ozzie treated him like any other sox hitter. Meaning he never really realized oh wait this guy is incapable of hitting the ball to the warning track like everyone else did. That is why you would see LF for other teams playing shallow to take away his looping line drive. But Ozzie would still do dumb things for Pierre. Like with no outs and Alexi or whoever on 2B he would have Beckham bunt him over 3B with 1 out for Pierre. And Im asking why. How are you supposed to manufacture that run with a sac fly to a hitter that is incapable of hitting the ball out in even a little league park, he has no ability to hit a deep fly ball so why are you doing this. Those are my big grips with Pierre and the use of Pierre. Other than that he showed solid D, a decent OBP, and excellent capacity to steal bases. It was also nice to see a good base-runner out there, not Pods and his ability to get picked off anywhere.

For the record I agree with this post 100 percent.

For the life of me I couldn't understand why Juan never had a day off? Oz loves to give guys days off.

WTF?

Great great post.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 02:47 AM)
For the record I agree with this post 100 percent.

For the life of me I couldn't understand why Juan never had a day off? Oz loves to give guys days off.

WTF?

Great great post.

He actually had 2 days off, but Juan is the kind of guy who doesn't like to sit. He played in every single game from 2003-2007, and he even averages 162 games a year for his career. I really dislike his game, but it's hard not to like his attitude.

Also, people may look at his .341 OBP and say he had a decent year, but this was also inflated by being hit a little more than twice as much as he ever had before in his career. If you use his average number of hit by pitches (9) instead of the 21 he had this season, his OBP is just barely .330, which coupled with his slugging percentage puts him at an OPS of 646. Juan Pierre is not a good baseball player, and a terrible fit for our stadium.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 01:44 AM)
Am I dumb for thinking Damon would be a good addition to our team?

No, you are not. Johnny Damon would be a solid, last-piece-of-the-puzzle piece for this team, just as he would have last year. Johnny Damon not signing did not make or break the Sox, and he would have to be the final piece of the puzzle to really make a difference. If the Sox signed him in December, I would be scared; if the Sox signed him in late January or early February, it would be a blessing (given certain circumstances, such as assuming Thome resigned with the $!@#$ Twins)

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 02:04 AM)
I hated the Pierre deal, but grew to like him. Go figure.

Agreed. I expected Pierre to put a ball down the line for an extra base hit a bit more often, but I grew to assume that he'd work the count and then either get a hit or he'd ground out, no matter what. Honestly, so long as he's working the count, getting the hits he can, stealing bases, and playing stellar defense, the dude always has a place on my team...preferably in the 9 spot or on the bench.

I'm not Ozzie, so.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 02:44 AM)
Am I dumb for thinking Damon would be a good addition to our team?

Depends on the context. Compared to Mark Kotsay at DH? Obviously. He's a slighly above average bat right now if he stays healthy, decent number of walks. If we're talking about replacing Juan Pierre though, we start needing to think about the defense, and Pierre was significantly better in the field than Damon, and as such, Juan Pierre was worth 2.2 WAR last year, Damon 1.9.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 05:23 AM)
No, you are not. Johnny Damon would be a solid, last-piece-of-the-puzzle piece for this team, just as he would have last year. Johnny Damon not signing did not make or break the Sox, and he would have to be the final piece of the puzzle to really make a difference. If the Sox signed him in December, I would be scared; if the Sox signed him in late January or early February, it would be a blessing (given certain circumstances, such as assuming Thome resigned with the $!@#$ Twins)

Agreed. I expected Pierre to put a ball down the line for an extra base hit a bit more often, but I grew to assume that he'd work the count and then either get a hit or he'd ground out, no matter what. Honestly, so long as he's working the count, getting the hits he can, stealing bases, and playing stellar defense, the dude always has a place on my team...preferably in the 9 spot or on the bench.

I'm not Ozzie, so.

Unless we sign Carl Crawford and get a RF that moves CQ to DH then JP deserves a spot in the starting lineup, I know he really needs to take more walks butttttt he was 16th in hits and 1st in steals in the MLB that right there deserves him a spot and there shouldnt even be an argument.

in relation Denard Span got on base 226 times if you count hits and walks and JP got on 223 buttt JP has more than twice the amount of SB span has soooo should the twins bench span or bat him 9th???

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
Unless we sign Carl Crawford and get a RF that moves CQ to DH then JP deserves a spot in the starting lineup, I know he really needs to take more walks butttttt he was 16th in hits and 1st in steals in the MLB that right there deserves him a spot and there shouldnt even be an argument.

in relation Denard Span got on base 226 times if you count hits and walks and JP got on 223 buttt JP has more than twice the amount of SB span has soooo should the twins bench span or bat him 9th???

Span was horrible in '10 for whatever reason. But his skill-set easily trumps Pierre's.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 03:25 AM)
He actually had 2 days off, but Juan is the kind of guy who doesn't like to sit. He played in every single game from 2003-2007, and he even averages 162 games a year for his career. I really dislike his game, but it's hard not to like his attitude.

Also, people may look at his .341 OBP and say he had a decent year, but this was also inflated by being hit a little more than twice as much as he ever had before in his career. If you use his average number of hit by pitches (9) instead of the 21 he had this season, his OBP is just barely .330, which coupled with his slugging percentage puts him at an OPS of 646. Juan Pierre is not a good baseball player, and a terrible fit for our stadium.

Juan Pierre has consistently been a slow starter and a strong finisher his whole career. You can look at this split stats on Yahoo if you would like as I did. His strongest month is typically Sept with a .314/.359/.394 slash line. That being said, whatever happened this year really hurt as I was saying before because in September he hit .223/.279/.268. Bad timing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Span was horrible in '10 for whatever reason. But his skill-set easily trumps Pierre's.

He was still the lead off hitter for a the division winning twins. Juan also got on base more than Elvis Andrus. I gotta say it in every post so you guys dont bring out the walk cards on my argument....he needs to take more walks though but by no means does he need to be benched like what was said before.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)

He may not like to sit, but I would like him to sit once in a while.

I hear what you are saying though. I like his attitude, too. I like the guy personality wise. I probably would like him more if he was batting ninth for some reason. Of course I like Teahen personality wise as well, but not the player.

The post about Juan's slow starts was informative as well.

We can't afford Juan and Lexi to stink it up the first five weeks next season. They got to figure a way to get off to better starts. Same with the majoirty of our guys who were .200ish for so long early on.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 12:42 AM)
He may not like to sit, but I would like him to sit once in a while.

I hear what you are saying though. I like his attitude, too. I like the guy personality wise. I probably would like him more if he was batting ninth for some reason. Of course I like Teahen personality wise as well, but not the player.

The post about Juan's slow starts was informative as well.

We can't afford Juan and Lexi to stink it up the first five weeks next season. They got to figure a way to get off to better starts. Same with the majoirty of our guys who were .200ish for so long early on.

He's an ideal #9 hitter IMO and would be one of the better ones in the league. We just need to have someone better than him to lead off which is virtually impossible to come by.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 15, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
I really don't understand all of the Juan Pierre hate. Sure, he isn't Rickey Henderson, but who is. Personally I think that Juan played some pretty good defense, can play at least adequate CF if needed, and hit okay for a lead off guy. He seems to be will liked in the clubhouse and leads by example with his work ethic. He came up with quite a few clutch hits this last season as I recall. He started out slow, but I would hardly call Juan Pierre the reason for any of our offensive woes.

I would love to have a team where we could bat Juan 9th, but we don't, nor are we likely to have (afford) one in the near future. I'm sure there are a few guys out there who are better lead off guys, but I don't think any of them were on our team last year, nor are they likely to be on the Sox in 2011.

As for Derek Jeter, I'm sure that he has some qualities that the Yankees love and does some things better than Juan, but usually there is nothing but hate for Jeter on this board because he seems to be so overated, especially defensively. It seems to me that if Jeter were on the Sox he wouldn't even have a place to play according to most here because Ramirez is a much better shortstop.

All of this is JMHO of course, but I for one have no problem mentioning Juan Pierre and Derek Jeter in the same sentence as far as overall baseball abilities. The main thing that Jeter has going for him is that he plays in New York, for the Yankees.

O. K., I've said my peace, Flame away.

"Rickey Henderson is Rickey Henderson," says Rickey Henderson.

Also, Jeter is overrated defensively. Offensively (aside from this year), he's every bit as good as advertised.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
He was still the lead off hitter for a the division winning twins. Juan also got on base more than Elvis Andrus. I gotta say it in every post so you guys dont bring out the walk cards on my argument....he needs to take more walks though but by no means does he need to be benched like what was said before.

He wasn't saying that he needs to be benched. He was saying that, even if the Sox had three better OF's than Pierre, he would still like to have him on the team. The only other spot would be on the bench.