This is ridiculous...

chw42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 08:02 AM)
You have a banana. Norberto has pudding. You generally prefer pudding to bananas. Norberto prefers bananas to pudding. You trade your banana for Norberto's pudding. You believe you have improved yourself through this trade, and Norberto believes the same. You do not know if you have improved yourself - hence, the reasoning behind a trade. You see that the pudding is tapioca, and nobody likes tapioca pudding, not even people who claim to like it.

Why would a team make a trade that they believed they lost the second they made it? When you go shopping, would you buy spoiled bread that is expensive or non-spoiled bread that is cheap? Obviously, the non-spoiled bread, because you believe it will improve yourself. Turns out that mold on the bread was penicillin, you have a major respiratory infection, and the cheap bread you bought actually contains a meningitis bacteria, and you lose the ability to lose your legs due to the ingestion of that bread.

Initially, you believed you had made a good trade of money for product, but instead you made a poor one and did not know it.

How is this hard to understand?

---

Are you just trying to justify a point that you know was wrong and now you don't want to admit a mistake? No matter your feelings about Ozzie Guillen, if the Marlins tried to trade for him, then he has value. If Ozzie Guillen were viewed as a mediocre or bad manager around the game, such as Ned Yost, the Marlins would not ask to talk to him. Is that hard to understand?

---

I am not arguing whether he is a good manager or not - I believe he is a terrible in-game manager who gets outmanaged about 75% of the time and that his non-game skills have eroded due to family issues - but instead about his value. If the Marlins asked to talk to him about their manager position, then, according to the precedent set, he is a well respected manager. They would not ask to talk to him if they believed he was a bad manager. Is that really that hard to understand?

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle of both arguments. If Ozzie Guillen has this incredible value than wouldn't Florida not only have talked to him but given up Stanton to get him? The record shows they had permission to speak with him, but never did. The Marlins didn't try to trade for him. I'm not naive enough to believe he has no value. There are plenty of teams that would hire him, perhaps not for baseball reasons, but maybe so. The bottom line is if the Sox fired Ozzie today, he'd have another job tomorrow if he wanted it. That job just may not be one he wants. Ozzie's "value" to many teams isn't additional wins because he makes out the line up card. I don't think Loria sees his team winning 82 games with a run of the mill re tread manager and 98 with Ozzie. Ozzie's value is at the box office.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a banana. Norberto has pudding. You generally prefer pudding to bananas. Norberto prefers bananas to pudding. You trade your banana for Norberto's pudding. You believe you have improved yourself through this trade, and Norberto believes the same. You do not know if you have improved yourself - hence, the reasoning behind a trade. You see that the pudding is tapioca, and nobody likes tapioca pudding, not even people who claim to like it.

Why would a team make a trade that they believed they lost the second they made it? When you go shopping, would you buy spoiled bread that is expensive or non-spoiled bread that is cheap? Obviously, the non-spoiled bread, because you believe it will improve yourself. Turns out that mold on the bread was penicillin, you have a major respiratory infection, and the cheap bread you bought actually contains a meningitis bacteria, and you lose the ability to lose your legs due to the ingestion of that bread.

Initially, you believed you had made a good trade of money for product, but instead you made a poor one and did not know it.

How is this hard to understand?

---

Are you just trying to justify a point that you know was wrong and now you don't want to admit a mistake? No matter your feelings about Ozzie Guillen, if the Marlins tried to trade for him, then he has value. If Ozzie Guillen were viewed as a mediocre or bad manager around the game, such as Ned Yost, the Marlins would not ask to talk to him. Is that hard to understand?

---

I am not arguing whether he is a good manager or not - I believe he is a terrible in-game manager who gets outmanaged about 75% of the time and that his non-game skills have eroded due to family issues - but instead about his value. If the Marlins asked to talk to him about their manager position, then, according to the precedent set, he is a well respected manager. They would not ask to talk to him if they believed he was a bad manager. Is that really that hard to understand?

That's a lot of unnecessary analysis over a very simply concept. So you've never seen us (or anyone else) make a trade and thought, "WOW, we/they actually think they are getting something good here???" I didn't make any mistake, I don't have anything I need to admit, there's nothing to really thin through here; I'm making a very simple observation. You're being over-analytical.

AGAIN, I'm not saying it's embarrassing that someone might want him like you and others keep insisting. I'm just saying that it's embarrassing to tack on the fact we're willing to trade our MANAGER and that this comes after a clusterf*** season of bad managing and bad behavior (which includes him and his son). I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
That's a lot of unnecessary analysis over a very simply concept. So you've never seen us (or anyone else) make a trade and thought, "WOW, we/they actually think they are getting something good here???" I didn't make any mistake, I don't have anything I need to admit, there's nothing to really thin through here; I'm making a very simple observation. You're being over-analytical.

AGAIN, I'm not saying it's embarrassing that someone might want him like you and others keep insisting. I'm just saying that it's embarrassing to tack on the fact we're willing to trade our MANAGER and that this comes after a clusterf*** season of bad managing and bad behavior (which includes him and his son). I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself.

Just because you're willing to listen to trade offers for your manager doesn't make it look bad. The Marlins asked for Guillen, he was not shopped to them so there is no way it is embarrassing for Ozzie or the White Sox.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)

Again, where are you getting that we were willing to trade our manager? The Marlins asked to talk to Ozzie. If you believe this story, the Marlins approached us about a trade, not the other way around. No one at any point said that we were willing to trade him. There is nothing that said we will trade Ozzie for X. Florida isn't saying that. Kenny isn't saying that. Ozzie isn't saying that. No one has said that, but yet you keep repeating it. Where the heck are you getting that from?

I read both papers, much prefer the Trib, but I like to read, so Sun Times is always checked up on.

You can't just fabricate s*** as you please. I understand that some here might dislike Cowley, but c'mon, tabloid? You're wrong. It doesn't mean s*** that one or both teams deny it. There has got to be at least *some* truth to this. It probably didn't go as far as Stanton for Ozzie, but the Marlins could have been granted permission to talk to Ozzie and Stanton may have been on the list of people the Sox gave the Marlins. Nothing more, nothing less. Hardly tabloid s***.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I understand we differ big time on this, but how can you watch TV the past couple nights and not love Ozzie Guillen?

You guys say he gets outmanaged every game?

I beg to differ.

Nobody but Bevington gets outmanaged.

Managers all make the same moves.

They play the lefty/righty crap; they bunt sometimes, sometimes they don't.

Unless you win it all or at least win the AL, you are a bum. Somebody on here was calling Ron Washington a clown.

Players win games. Again, unless they are clueless morons like Bevington.

So I go with intangibles. Ozzie is a funny motherf***er.

How can you not love this guy and want him to be our manager for a long time to come?

He's already proven he can hit lightning in a bottle and win it all. Sports should be fun; he is fun.

I guess I'm different from some who just want to be miserable even in victory. A lot of fans on here were even ripping Ozzer-roo on games we won this season.

Ozzie won 88 games with that horrific offensive team and bullpen that doesn't believe in pitching well after the all star break. My god. (I do realize he wanted some of those awful offensive players; I never said he was a good GM).

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
I understand we differ big time on this, but how can you watch TV the past couple nights and not love Ozzie Guillen?

I beg to differ.

Unless you win it all or at least win the AL, you are a bum. Somebody on here was calling Ron Washington a clown.

How can you not love this guy and want him to be our manager for a long time to come?

He's already proven he can hit lightning in a bottle and win it all. Sports should be fun; he is fun.

I guess I'm different from some who just want to be miserable even in victory. A lot of fans on here were even ripping Ozzer-roo on games we won this season.

Ozzie won 88 games with that horrific offensive team and bullpen that doesn't believe in pitching well after the all star break. My god. (I do realize he wanted some of those awful offensive players; I never said he was a good GM).

Yes, all crack addicts aren't clowns, they're some of the most serious people around.

You can't relate Ozzie's managerial skills to how funny or great of a guy (you think) he is.

Chris Rock is one funny f***er, but I wouldn't want him managing my baseball team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)

I beg to differ.

Just to clear it up, the White Sox offense was actually decent. The league average for runs scored was 721, and the White Sox scored 752. It's not a huge difference, but it was a better than average offense.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
Don't you guys who want to run Oz out of town at least agree he's very very very likeable??

I don't think likeable is exactly the right word to use. I'll give you funny but that's not exactly the best criteria to use when making a managerial decision.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 05:09 AM)
Yes, all crack addicts aren't clowns, they're some of the most serious people around.

You can't relate Ozzie's managerial skills to how funny or great of a guy (you think) he is.

Chris Rock is one funny f***er, but I wouldn't want him managing my baseball team.

Hope you were kidding about Ron W.

Or don't you ever give people second chances? Lots of people have problems. It's those who persevere and overcome them who I truly respect.

Many are crushed by their addictions/problems. Some overcome them.

Maybe you were kidding.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 05:41 AM)
If you don't mind crude or offensive behavior, then sure.

I think of it as Oz being Oz, outgoing personality.

I personally detest dull managers/coaches who recite boring quote after boring quote. Sports aren't life and death. They should be fun.

But then, I live in Kansas and don't get to go to Sox games and spend 95 bucks on a single game ticket. And 30 bucks for parking or whatever it is and 8 bucks for a f***ing hot dog.

I guess those of you who shell out the bucks and support the team by going to home games deserve to feel any way you want about Ozzerroo. One has to take out a loan to buy season tix these days.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
I think of it as Oz being Oz, outgoing personality.

I personally detest dull managers/coaches who recite boring quote after boring quote. Sports aren't life and death. They should be fun.

But then, I live in Kansas and don't get to go to Sox games and spend 95 bucks on a single game ticket. And 30 bucks for parking or whatever it is and 8 bucks for a f***ing hot dog.

I guess those of you who shell out the bucks and support the team by going to home games deserve to feel any way you want about Ozzerroo. One has to take out a loan to buy season tix these days.

Or those who have been disrespected by what Ozzie has said to the media deserve to feel that way.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 06:11 AM)
Or those who have been disrespected by what Ozzie has said to the media deserve to feel that way.

Who has he disrespected in the media? I think he clarified his gays comment that he has a lot of gay friends. A lot of celebrities have put their foot in their mouths about the gay issue. Who else has he offended?

Sox fans I guess when he said dont come to the games.

I still prefer passion and out of the ordinary to dull bulls*** uttered by the likes of, oh, 95 percent of all managers/coaches.

But yeah, I guess the fans who pay the bucks have the right to be pissed when he told them to not come to the games.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 12:22 AM)
Who has he disrespected in the media? I think he clarified his gays comment that he has a lot of gay friends. A lot of celebrities have put their foot in their mouths about the gay issue. Who else has he offended?

Sox fans I guess when he said dont come to the games.

I still prefer passion and out of the ordinary to dull bulls*** uttered by the likes of, oh, 95 percent of all managers/coaches.

But yeah, I guess the fans who pay the bucks have the right to be pissed when he told them to not come to the games.

I don't want to Filibuster this, but I'll leave it at just because a person says they have gay friends doesnt give them any excuse to bash gays in public.

The fans thing should be inexcusable, I understand he may have some emotion or shouldnt always have to listen to every fan's opinion, but c'mon, without them there is no Sox, there is no salary for Ozzie.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
Don't you guys who want to run Oz out of town at least agree he's very very very likeable??

At first maybe, but his act has gotten old. It's like the same joke over and over again.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 06:49 AM)
At first maybe, but his act has gotten old. It's like the same joke over and over again.

Not to me. I think his appearances on TV have again shown his likeability and if the things he's said have been SO offensive then they could never have considered even putting him on TV for political correctness reasons.

Just because you're willing to listen to trade offers for your manager doesn't make it look bad. The Marlins asked for Guillen, he was not shopped to them so there is no way it is embarrassing for Ozzie or the White Sox.

Again, where are you getting that we were willing to trade our manager? The Marlins asked to talk to Ozzie. If you believe this story, the Marlins approached us about a trade, not the other way around. No one at any point said that we were willing to trade him. There is nothing that said we will trade Ozzie for X. Florida isn't saying that. Kenny isn't saying that. Ozzie isn't saying that. No one has said that, but yet you keep repeating it. Where the heck are you getting that from?

Clearly my posts are sailing over the heads of every poster that replies to me. None of you guys seem to be able to interpret what it is I'm trying to say here so I guess I'll just drop it. SMH, really.

I beg to differ.

Seriously? He's a funny guy so he must be a great guy? I'm honestly amazed you weren't one of those kids who waked right into some creep's van because he smiled and flashed candy in front of you.

He can't manage for s***, throws his players under the bus, gets into trouble in the office, and maybe worst of all has s*** on the fans on more than one occasion. But yeah... he crakced some funny lines on TV, so he must be a great guy. Who cares how he manages, right??? He's funny, therefore he's a good manager! GMAFB.

And you call this guy "fun." I always liked his humor, but IMO that's the only likeable thing about the guy as far as his baseball personality is concerned.

Clueless.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 05:59 AM)
Clearly my posts are sailing over the heads of every poster that replies to me. None of you guys seem to be able to interpret what it is I'm trying to say here so I guess I'll just drop it. SMH, really.

Seriously? He's a funny guy so he must be a great guy? I'm honestly amazed you weren't one of those kids who waked right into some creep's van because he smiled and flashed candy in front of you.

He can't manage for s***, throws his players under the bus, gets into trouble in the office, and maybe worst of all has s*** on the fans on more than one occasion. But yeah... he crakced some funny lines on TV, so he must be a great guy. Who cares how he manages, right??? He's funny, therefore he's a good manager! GMAFB.

And you call this guy "fun." I always liked his humor, but IMO that's the only likeable thing about the guy as far as his baseball personality is concerned.

Clueless.

I was just reading the book of our 05 title by the Trib and I just read Paulie saying Ozzie was a big reason we won it all, cause the attitude in the clubhouse is always the same, constant, win or lose.

Clueless?

I think not.

Throws what players under the bus? Guys like wiseass Swisher?

We agree to disagree. I think Ozzie is a grade B to B plus manager in a league where nobody gets an A.

He also took us to the promised land. I don't think a clueless person can lead any chicago team to a WS title.

He also led a very weak team to 88 wins, albeat the 11-2 at the end of the year or whatever we went 9-2 was meaningless.

Like the tweets of Ozzie's kid and Cowley, you people that want Oz out, who do you want as our manager?

I mean I respect the names you'll come up with ... but will they really be better than Ozzie??

Those of you who hate the bunt also might want to rewind some of the 05 season and postseason when we bunted a lot.

We had a better team; players win titles not managers.

The key is not to have a total buffoon like Bevington; Ozzie IMO is fine.

Edited by greg775

I was just reading the book of our 05 title by the Trib and I just read Paulie saying Ozzie was a big reason we won it all, cause the attitude in the clubhouse is always the same, constant, win or lose.

Clueless?

I think not.

I was just reading the book of common sense and I read that often players will drop those cliches left and right out of loyalty and not wanting to cause a stir in the media, among other reasons.

Clueless? I think so.

Throws what players under the bus? Guys like wiseass Swisher?

We agree to disagree. I think Ozzie is a grade B to B plus manager in a league where nobody gets an A.

He also took us to the promised land. I don't think a clueless person can lead any chicago team to a WS title.

He also led a very weak team to 88 wins, albeat the 11-2 at the end of the year or whatever we went 9-2 was meaningless.

"Wiseass Swisher?" Swisher was a really funny guy in teh clubhouse and got along with people. Hey, so in your book he should be a great guy! Amirite? Apply your own logic to every situation, bub! Or are you unable to practice what you preach?

That stuff about you correlating "Ozzie's so funny" to his managing ability is utterly RIDICULOUS. Then seeing you being hypocritical with the concept as well is amusing. I really don't think you are actually putting any intelligent thought into the things you are saying.

Also LOVE this mentality you have that every success is directly because of Ozzie. meanwhile NONE of our problems are apparently his fault. That's bias 101 for ya.

Like the tweets of Ozzie's kid and Cowley, you people that want Oz out, who do you want as our manager?

I mean I respect the names you'll come up with ... but will they really be better than Ozzie??

The fact you bring up the tweets of Ozzie's son PROVES your ultimate ignorance. That kid was trashing KW and the organization making it sound like ozzie was a God and the organization were idiots publicly. Not to mention the whole "KW cheating on his wife" stuff. You gotta be s***ting me here, greg.

Those of you who hate the bunt also might want to rewind some of the 05 season and postseason when we bunted a lot.

We had a better team; players win titles not managers.

The key is not to have a total buffoon like Bevington; Ozzie IMO is fine.

Yeah, except we had guys that could bunt well and do it in the right situation rather than take the bat out of our best hitter's hands and negate the job of our leadoff hitter. I wonder if a thought even enters your head while you watch any baseball games.

I really want to thank you, greg. Anytime I'm feeling down on myself or feeling bad about mistakes I've made, I look at your posts and instantly feel better.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
I was just reading the book of common sense and I read that often players will drop those cliches left and right out of loyalty and not wanting to cause a stir in the media, among other reasons.

Clueless? I think so.

"Wiseass Swisher?" Swisher was a really funny guy in teh clubhouse and got along with people. Hey, so in your book he should be a great guy! Amirite? Apply your own logic to every situation, bub! Or are you unable to practice what you preach?

That stuff about you correlating "Ozzie's so funny" to his managing ability is utterly RIDICULOUS. Then seeing you being hypocritical with the concept as well is amusing. I really don't think you are actually putting any intelligent thought into the things you are saying.

Also LOVE this mentality you have that every success is directly because of Ozzie. meanwhile NONE of our problems are apparently his fault. That's bias 101 for ya.

The fact you bring up the tweets of Ozzie's son PROVES your ultimate ignorance. That kid was trashing KW and the organization making it sound like ozzie was a God and the organization were idiots publicly. Not to mention the whole "KW cheating on his wife" stuff. You gotta be s***ting me here, greg.

Yeah, except we had guys that could bunt well and do it in the right situation rather than take the bat out of our best hitter's hands and negate the job of our leadoff hitter. I wonder if a thought even enters your head while you watch any baseball games.

I really want to thank you, greg. Anytime I'm feeling down on myself or feeling bad about mistakes I've made, I look at your posts and instantly feel better.

I don't know why you get so upset and personal with me.

Sports are supposed to be fun. We disagree. So what?

I love Ozzie; you despise him.

Life goes on.

I give examples like Konerko's quotes in the book; you dismiss them.

Again, life goes on.

Don't know why me simply disagreeing with you stirs so much emotion. I have never commented on another poster, just their posts.

I'm not mad about it, just confused.

I seem to instill hatred in many.

I don't know why you get so upset and personal with me.

Because your posts are void of any thought or logic whatsoever and you constantly fail to address most of what I ask of you, such as your hypocritical manner of judging Ozzie and Swisher in contrast.

Sports are supposed to be fun. We disagree. So what?

So nothing. But more than "disagreement," about 99% of your posts are just plain incorrect.

I love Ozzie; you despise him.

Life goes on.

You seem to love the guy without a real reason. See my first explanation above. You say he is a great manager and seem to credit him for anything good that happens to the team at all while never accepting wrongdoing on his part. Again, I quote you: "A win is always a well-managed game and a loss is always a poorly-managed game." Sheer NONSENSE.

I give examples like Konerko's quotes in the book; you dismiss them.

Again, life goes on.

No, I gave you an explanation behind them which is common sense to most sports fans that you seem to have no f***ing clue about. As if you've never heard of cliche. Like Konerko is going to go out and say "Ozzie isn't that great and he treats players somewhat unfairly." Please TRY to use your brain, greg.

Don't know why me simply disagreeing with you stirs so much emotion. I have never commented on another poster, just their posts.

I'm not mad about it, just confused.

I seem to instill hatred in many.

Because it's beyond agreement/disagreement with you. It's to a point where your "opinions" are things that are purely and simply FALSE and you cannot seem to form a coherent thought of your own with any kind of logic behind it, much less even face your own hypocrisy, contradiction or lack of logic when called out for it.

Frankly, you just seem like a robot that hasn't been programmed yet; there seems to be nothing working upstairs.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 03:45 AM)
Because your posts are void of any thought or logic whatsoever and you constantly fail to address most of what I ask of you, such as your hypocritical manner of judging Ozzie and Swisher in contrast.

So nothing. But more than "disagreement," about 99% of your posts are just plain incorrect.

You seem to love the guy without a real reason. See my first explanation above. You say he is a great manager and seem to credit him for anything good that happens to the team at all while never accepting wrongdoing on his part. Again, I quote you: "A win is always a well-managed game and a loss is always a poorly-managed game." Sheer NONSENSE.

No, I gave you an explanation behind them which is common sense to most sports fans that you seem to have no f***ing clue about. As if you've never heard of cliche. Like Konerko is going to go out and say "Ozzie isn't that great and he treats players somewhat unfairly." Please TRY to use your brain, greg.

Because it's beyond agreement/disagreement with you. It's to a point where your "opinions" are things that are purely and simply FALSE and you cannot seem to form a coherent thought of your own with any kind of logic behind it, much less even face your own hypocrisy, contradiction or lack of logic when called out for it.

Frankly, you just seem like a robot that hasn't been programmed yet; there seems to be nothing working upstairs.

This stuff is all really ironic considering your whole point about the Sox trading Ozzie was wrong in this thread, and you won't admit it, and instead just acted like everyone else didn't understand.