2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
Oakland?

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Oakland win that division. Their pitching from top to bottom is as good, if not better, than any team in the AL. They can also catch the baseball. If they can get any kinda offense, and it should at least be better than last year, they'll be real tough. I'm not sold on that Texas rotation at all. I see some extreme regression from multiple guys.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Oakland win that division. Their pitching from top to bottom is as good, if not better, than any team in the AL. They can also catch the baseball. If they can get any kinda offense, and it should at least be better than last year, they'll be real tough. I'm not sold on that Texas rotation at all. I see some extreme regression from multiple guys.

Texas also has some guys who are close to knocking on the door of that rotation though...Tanner Sheppers, Blake Beaven, Danny Gutierrez, and Martin Perez (although he's probably a little farther away).

And even if those guys aren't fully ready, they've got the depth to make a big time move if a pitcher gets on the market again without even blinking.

Oh, and the question "If Texas gets any kind of offense"....Yeah...when do they not? Even in a down year they'll have a top 5 offense in the AL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
Texas also has some guys who are close to knocking on the door of that rotation though...Tanner Sheppers, Blake Beaven, Danny Gutierrez, and Martin Perez (although he's probably a little farther away).

And even if those guys aren't fully ready, they've got the depth to make a big time move if a pitcher gets on the market again without even blinking.

Oh, and the question "If Texas gets any kind of offense"....Yeah...when do they not? Even in a down year they'll have a top 5 offense in the AL.

I haven't read a thing about Scheppers being a rotation candidate. Everything points to him at least starting out in the 'pen. And yes, they've got the farm to land a starter. But they didn't land Greinke or Garza when both would've been obvious upgrades. Their system did take a hit between promtions and trades. Makes you wonder if they want to really further deplete their system depth. And you can't possible think I was talking about the Rangers offense? I was referring to Oakland's.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
I haven't read a thing about Scheppers being a rotation candidate. Everything points to him at least starting out in the 'pen. And yes, they've got the farm to land a starter. But they didn't land Greinke or Garza when both would've been obvious upgrades. Their system did take a hit between promtions and trades. Makes you wonder if they want to really further deplete their system depth. And you can't possible think I was talking about the Rangers offense? I was referring to Oakland's.

Yes, you lost me on the offense part.

I think the Rangers will be more than content to deplete their minor leagues...but they won't want to do it just yet, for the reasons you've already stated...it's hard to predict how their guys are going to hold together. They won 90 games last year basically with the rotation they currently have; Cliff Lee was only there for 1/2 a year and he struggled for a little portion of it (3.98 ERA with TX).

Plus, the Rangers have a few wild cards that they have to figure out first...can Cruz and Hamilton stay healthy, can they get an extension done for Hamilton, will their rotation step back, what version of Adrian Beltre's bat will they get.

They don't know what their needs are as much as a team like Milwaukee or the Cubs did at the time they made that trade. They aren't likely to be so far back in June that they can't make a deal to fill in.

I think Oakland is going to come through and make the West competitive with Texas. The Orioles and Blue Jays improvements along with the Rays doing a good job of holding their ground will help pull the Yankees and Red Sox down to earth, and the White Sox and Twins will hold it down in the Central. This could be a great season for the Wild Card race in the AL. I could see a situation where teams from all 3 divisions are all in the thick of it.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
I think Oakland is going to come through and make the West competitive with Texas. The Orioles and Blue Jays improvements along with the Rays doing a good job of holding their ground will help pull the Yankees and Red Sox down to earth, and the White Sox and Twins will hold it down in the Central. This could be a great season for the Wild Card race in the AL. I could see a situation where teams from all 3 divisions are all in the thick of it.

The Blue Jays did well setting themselves up for the long term in getting rid of Wells...but I gotta disagree with the concept of "Blue Jays improvements"...especially if Jose Bautista doesn't repeat his season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
The Blue Jays did well setting themselves up for the long term in getting rid of Wells...but I gotta disagree with the concept of "Blue Jays improvements"...especially if Jose Bautista doesn't repeat his season.

Addition by subtraction by getting rid of Wells, adding Rajai Davis, a full season of Yunel Escobar, and J.P. Arencibia (if he lives up to potential), a much improved bullpen and a bounceback year from Aaron Hill could mean a pretty solid team with the likes of Ricky Romero, Brandon Morrow, and Brett Cecil holding down the top of the rotation. I think they made some nice moves under the radar. It's a lot of "ifs" but so are the Orioles, Rays and Yankees.

I think there is no chance the wild card comes from the West. The Rangers only won 90 games last year, and there is no reason to think they will wiun more. Its down to the Rays/Yankees/Jays(doubtful) & maybe the Sox/Twins/Tigers. I like what the A's did too, but no way the West winner has more than 90 wins, and that wont win the wild card.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
Addition by subtraction by getting rid of Wells, adding Rajai Davis, a full season of Yunel Escobar, and J.P. Arencibia (if he lives up to potential), a much improved bullpen and a bounceback year from Aaron Hill could mean a pretty solid team with the likes of Ricky Romero, Brandon Morrow, and Brett Cecil holding down the top of the rotation. I think they made some nice moves under the radar. It's a lot of "ifs" but so are the Orioles, Rays and Yankees.

They also got rid of Shawn Marcum, and Morrow has never been able to handle a full season. They made some great moves, but its not like they are suddenly one of the elite. I mean, their ace is Ricky Romero, that won't cut it in the AL East.

I'm excited to see Morrow this season. At times, he looked as dominant as anyone in the league last year. I think he's going to do big things. The M's just jerked him around for years...The Jays should take the leash off of him next season (they shut him down to protect him last season).

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)

All you did was just throw out a bunch of best case scenarios. I'm one that thinks the Jays are in a great position right now. But they didn't make any "improvements." Any improvements they make will come from within.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
All you did was just throw out a bunch of best case scenarios. I'm one that thinks the Jays are in a great position right now. But they didn't make any "improvements." Any improvements they make will come from within.

I'm really just hopeful that the AL East race will involve different teams than it has for the past decade+ so I like what the Jays and O's have done. The Jays and O's are both much better than they were when the 2010 season started and the Yankees and Rays are margainally worse. It gives me a little hope.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
They also got rid of Shawn Marcum, and Morrow has never been able to handle a full season. They made some great moves, but its not like they are suddenly one of the elite. I mean, their ace is Ricky Romero, that won't cut it in the AL East.

Marcum is one of my favorite pitchers in the league, so I understand that him leaving opens up a hole, but I didn't say they were suddenly elite, I said I like what they've done and I could see them making the East more competitive than it has been in recent history.

Who's left that's elite? The Red Sox and Phillies are the only teams that I consider in that category.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
Marcum is one of my favorite pitchers in the league, so I understand that him leaving opens up a hole, but I didn't say they were suddenly elite, I said I like what they've done and I could see them making the East more competitive than it has been in recent history.

Who's left that's elite? The Red Sox and Phillies are the only teams that I consider in that category.

On paper those are definitely the two elite teams coming into this season. I like what the O's have done as well this offseason but they're still far away from being a playoff contender. The Blue Jays on the other hand, I don't see improvement from at all.

The Jays will make things very interesting very soon. Richest ownership in baseball, smart front office that has the ownerships total backing.

Going into last offseason they had one of the worst farm systems in baseball. Now, one of the absolute best. And they should only get better. Meanwhile, they have a solid major league team as well. And I live in Toronto....people are starting to get excited again. Don't forget the Blue Jays set records for attendance in the early 90's. The city will support a winner.

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
On paper those are definitely the two elite teams coming into this season. I like what the O's have done as well this offseason but they're still far away from being a playoff contender. The Blue Jays on the other hand, I don't see improvement from at all.

The Blue Jays got rid of Vernon Wells without ever having to pay any of h is $21 million seasons. I don't care if they lose more games last year, that's a big offseason win.

Kyle Drabek is probably my favorite pitching prospect, and he's ready now. If he can do what he's capable of doing, along with Romero, that's going to be a nasty 1-2 punch.

The Jays are really looking great after the Wells deal. I still can't believe that. And watch them get a nice piece or two out of Frankie Francisco around the deadline.