2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
Andruw Jones is now a Yankee making $2M for one year of play and $1.2M in performance bonuses.

Wow. The Yankees think he has something left in the tank.

I won't miss him, but I'm also not crazy about Teahen out there. Isn't Danks ready to be a backup outfielder?

How come every other sport promotes young guys quickly but not baseball?

Let.Danks.Play.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)

I won't miss him, but I'm also not crazy about Teahen out there. Isn't Danks ready to be a backup outfielder?

Let.Danks.Play.

I think so did everyone else here too. He was great for us last year, and it would have been awesome to have him back, instead, we are paying Mark Teahen $4.75M to sit on the bench and play awful corner OF defense when Pierre or Quentin need a rest.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)

Let.Danks.Play.

Danks isn't good, that's the problem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)

Let.Danks.Play.

Andruw Jones is still good and would have been great with the Sox this year too. As is, Williams didn't feel he was necessary or worth upwards of $3 mill, though he will almost certainly be worth that. He still absolutely destroys lefties.

Jordan Danks isn't ready to hit in the majors; he's barely ready to hit in AAA. He's striking out an absolute ton, and that wouldn't decrease in the majors.

Baseball is different because success in baseball is not derived from talent as much as it is from knowledge. If you run a 4.3 40, can run a crisp route, and catch the ball, you can be a receiver in the NFL. There aren't many guys who can do that, but those that can will play right away. However, being able to hit a 4-seam fastball, a 2-seam fastball, a changeup, a curveball, a slider, a split-finger takes a hell of a lot more than talent, and that's not including hitting the ball with authority. Beyond that, baseball is very much a game based on rhythm and repeating mechanics, so instead of calling up young players to take a spot on the bench, they will have them stay in the minors to continue to develop by getting consistent at-bats rather than playing once or twice a week. Jordan Danks, if he is going to make it as a hitter, will need more seasoning in the minors. I imagine once he runs out of options, the Sox will call up him to be a 4th outfielder (if they don't trade him or designate him for assignment first), but they are in no rush to do so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
Andruw Jones is still good and would have been great with the Sox this year too. As is, Williams didn't feel he was necessary or worth upwards of $3 mill, though he will almost certainly be worth that. He still absolutely destroys lefties.

I think KW just thought his remaining resources were best used elsewhere. Apparently in his mind he'd rather have a LOOGY than a 4th of that can mash lefties and play good defense at this point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
I bet the last name had a lot to do with the hype.

I wouldn't say that. He's a kid who spent 3 years at the University of Texas putting up legitimate numbers... .300 average+ every year, .900+ OPS every year, 1.008 OPS his final year. He also was raking at the lower levels of the Sox org, and so they pushed him up aggressively.

His strikeout rate has gone up from 1/4.75 at bats to 1/3 at bats since he got to AA. Some of this was predictable, just facing better competition, some of it is him genuinely failing to adapt.

The kid has a ton of talent but hasn't been able to improve his approach at the plate. He didn't belong as a first round draft pick, which is what a lot of us were scared the Sox would do, but the hype was legitimate based on his performance.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
No power and K's at a rate that would make Adam Dunn point and laugh. He sucks. Never understood the hype to begin with.

I was speaking in the sense that if you have ever made it above rookie ball in the minor leagues, you're obviously pretty good at baseball. It's relatively speaking. We all know that kid in high school or college that was such a beast, yet was never even drafted, let alone made it to AAA like Danks.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
I'm pretty sure that we'll see and hear the last of Jordan Danks as soon as John Danks is traded or leaves via free agency. It seems to me that he's only being kept in the mix to try to sway his older brother into sticking around.

Why? There's zero reason to get rid of him right now. He's not making much money, he still has years left before he would need to be added to the 40 man, and even though he got hurt the year before and struggled mightily last year, there's still a non-zero chance that he'll make a major improvement in the next couple years.

The Sox would be crazy to just pretend that they've heard the last of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Why? There's zero reason to get rid of him right now. He's not making much money, he still has years left before he would need to be added to the 40 man, and even though he got hurt the year before and struggled mightily last year, there's still a non-zero chance that he'll make a major improvement in the next couple years.

The Sox would be crazy to just pretend that they've heard the last of him.

I don't think he's actually that good and that his name will be brought up less and less as time goes by. I believe he's mainly here because of his brother.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
I don't think he's actually that good and that his name will be brought up less and less as time goes by. I believe he's mainly here because of his brother.

Well of course...he was a Boras client at the time he was drafted, he'd fallen very far because no one was going to draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round and give him 1st round money. The Sox finally felt they had an opportunity when day 2 of the draft rolled around, and they thought they could get him signed because of his brother.