White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
Well, my 53 home run prediction came after a solid night of drinking.. so, let me now readjust my number to be 46. Shoot for that!

The thing about Dunn's HR numbers is that it's actually kind of hard for him to increase them because of his hitting style. Over the last decade, he's homered on 10.5% of the plate appearances where he makes contact, and that has varied only by a little (except for 2002, from 10.2% to 10.9%). Ballpark effects, different pitchers, in shape, etc., really haven't mattered that much. Every time he hits the ball, it has a 1/10 shot of leaving the park. Unless something about that number changes...the only thing that would push his HR numbers higher would be fewer strikeouts, which just hasn't been his game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
There's going to be a portion of the fan base that will absolutely HATE Adam Dunn.

This is a terrific day.

Don't include me in that. I love what's going on.

I'm eating a lot of crow because I would never thought management would spend the money even though I knew they had it.

The Sox owners are far from broke.

Sign Konerko and Crawford and you're still almost 100 million under the yankees and you have a line-up superior to theirs.

It's not what you spend, it's how you spend and who you spend it on.

The Yankees just overpay for everyone.

Don't stop now boys!

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
It's not my favorite signing of all time...I have an irrational hatred for Adam Dunn. But given what our options were, I suppose I understand the move...I just fear what the next shoe to drop will be...

Hello we play 81 games in a bandbox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
The thing about Dunn's HR numbers is that it's actually kind of hard for him to increase them because of his hitting style. Over the last decade, he's homered on 10.5% of the plate appearances where he makes contact, and that has varied only by a little (except for 2002, from 10.2% to 10.9%). Ballpark effects, different pitchers, in shape, etc., really haven't mattered that much. Every time he hits the ball, it has a 1/10 shot of leaving the park. Unless something about that number changes...the only thing that would push his HR numbers higher would be fewer strikeouts, which just hasn't been his game.

If you look at Dunn's full seasons playing at the Great American Ballpark ('03-'07), which is known to favor hitters, there is a noticeable difference in his HR rate for the home/away splits. For home, he had 108 HRs in 1583 PAs, and away 85 HRs in 1606 PAs. The home HR/PA rate is nearly 29% larger than the away HR/PA.

US Cellular has been top-5 in least HR suppressing parks for the last three years, including least HR suppressing of all parks in 2010. Since Dunn will be playing half his games in a park with an even greater HR effect than the GAP, the argument could be made that next season will see Dunn eclipsing the 38 HR total he's had the past two years, and maybe his highest single-season HR total yet.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
Why not dump Pierre, save the $5 million he would cost this year, and put that money in the bullpen?

Rios could lead off.

Vizquel and Ramirez platoon in the 2 hole.

Quentin bats 3rd and plays LF

Dunn hits clean up as the DH

Paulie 5th

Teahen 6th, in RF

Beckham 7th

Morel hits 8th when Vizquel sits

Castro and any good defensive catcher share the 9th spot

That's my order, unless they could dump Teahen and his salary, which could also go into the bullpen.

there's no way the Sox go for broke and then keep teahen for nothing other than spelling starters after a blowout.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Hopefully Jerry is mad about missing on Lebron and wants to do some spending.

Sign Konerko and then entice Crawford to come join this potent line-up and play 81 games in a hitter's paradise.

Dunn on the field at cell looked like he wanted the season to start now.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Sign Konerko and then entice Crawford to come join this potent line-up and play 81 games in a hitter's paradise.Dunn on the field at cell looked like he wanted the season to start now.

Except that U. S. Cellular is not a hitters paradise, it's a home run hitters paradise. Average hitters really have more of a disadvantage there.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
With both Konerko and Dunn, the Sox payroll would be at around $110 million, no? We'd have to trade somebody making a ton of money and it's not going to be Jake Peavy.

Please stop with this restricted payroll/budget nonsense.

No other fanbase is more consumed about money than those of the Chicago White Sox.

The Sox owners are not poor.

There is no salary cap in baseball.

Chicago is no worse than the third largest baseball market in the known universe.

Count the Cubs and Chicago is second only to New York and that's because of population, not interest.

We could have a 180 million dollar payroll if they so ordered.

The naivety is astounding.

Reinsdorf and his management has been conditioning its fanbase for close to 30 years.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
If you look at Dunn's full seasons playing at the Great American Ballpark ('03-'07), which is known to favor hitters, there is a noticeable difference in his HR rate for the home/away splits. For home, he had 108 HRs in 1583 PAs, and away 85 HRs in 1606 PAs. The home HR/PA rate is nearly 29% larger than the away HR/PA.

US Cellular has been top-5 in least HR suppressing parks for the last three years, including least HR suppressing of all parks in 2010. Since Dunn will be playing half his games in a park with an even greater HR effect than the GAP, the argument could be made that next season will see Dunn eclipsing the 38 HR total he's had the past two years, and maybe his highest single-season HR total yet.

Here's one other thing worth noting...Dunn's HR's aren't exactly cheap shots. He might have a lot of warning track fly balls that aren't showing up here, but when he hits a HR, it goes. He had only 3 that were less than 383 feet.

Dunn_Adam_2010_scatter.jpg

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Yeah and the organization would be $50 million in the red.

And you base that on what exactly?

Further, I could give rat's ass how much they would be in the hole (if that were true, which I doubt).

If they can't afford to run a major league team in this city, they have no business owning one.

Do you think the fans in New York, Boston and LA care about that?

Why should we?

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
Here's one other thing worth noting...Dunn's HR's aren't exactly cheap shots. He might have a lot of warning track fly balls that aren't showing up here, but when he hits a HR, it goes. He had only 3 that were less than 383 feet.

A pretty safe assumption for a guy that makes a career out of hitting deep flies.

Below is Dunn's 2-year spray chart. You can see that there are several fly outs as well as base hits near the average outfield fence that US Cellular's short dimensions and/or wind tunnels could turn into home runs.

dunnspraychart.png

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
And you base that on what exactly?

Further, I could give rat's ass how much they would be in the hole (if that were true, which I doubt).

If they can't afford to run a major league team in this city, they have no business owning one.

Do you think the fans in New York, Boston and LA care about that?

Why should we?

Because having a team in debt would be bad.

And it's different for the Sox then compared to the Yankees or Red Sox, because the Cubs happen to also play in this city and absorb most of the city's fanbase.

And if they were in the red, which being at a $180M payroll certainly would have them in red, then we'd basically mortgage our future and have to become what the Cubs are; a poor team due to big contracts with high ticket prices to pay those off.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
Because having a team in debt would be bad.

And it's different for the Sox then compared to the Yankees or Red Sox, because the Cubs happen to also play in this city and absorb most of the city's fanbase.

And if they were in the red, which being at a $180M payroll certainly would have them in red, then we'd basically mortgage our future and have to become what the Cubs are; a poor team due to big contracts with high ticket prices to pay those off.

Actually, most of the teams in MLB are in debt to some level (often to pay for long-term things like stadium renovations), and the Sox have one of the best debt positions in baseball.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
Nothing that KW said today indicates to me that they are planning to trade anyone. It sounds like KW wants to sign PK, sign AJ and sign a bullpen guy and see what happens.

You can't keep trading to fill one hole by opening new ones.

With the sorry state of that farm system, they have to be major players in FA.

They cannot afford to further alienate the fan base.

There is a battle for the baseball dollar in this city and with the present management disarray on Clark and Addison, Reinsdorf has once again been giving an opportunity to run this city and create a new loyal generation of Sox fans.

It's all on him.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
A pretty safe assumption for a guy that makes a career out of hitting deep flies.

Below is Dunn's 2-year spray chart. You can see that there are several fly outs as well as base hits near the average outfield fence that US Cellular's short dimensions and/or wind tunnels could turn into home runs.

dunnspraychart.png

Am I crazy, or do I see somewhere around 15 outs made at the wall there that would be homeruns in US Cellular?

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
Please stop with this restricted payroll/budget nonsense.

No other fanbase is more consumed about money than those of the Chicago White Sox.

The Sox owners are not poor.

There is no salary cap in baseball.

Chicago is no worse than the third largest baseball market in the known universe.

Count the Cubs and Chicago is second only to New York and that's because of population, not interest.

We could have a 180 million dollar payroll if they so ordered.

The naivety is astounding.

Reinsdorf and his management has been conditioning its fanbase for close to 30 years.

They're not poor, but they have a history of being stingy. And man, is it so hard to keep everything on fewer lines?

Edited by chw42