29 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I'll see/I saw it on IMAX!
    • I'll see/I saw it in the regular theater
    • I'll wait and rent the DVD
    • I might watch it on TV a year from now
    • I've seen at least one, not watching this one
    • I never liked this kids crap

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
No. I'm older than 15.

Besides, even if the books were phenomenal, I did not enjoy the movies one least bit.

Not sure what that means, plenty of well educated adults have read and enjoyed the books. If you feel that you are above them then that is your issue.

I asked the question because the movies would be much more enjoyable to somebody who has read the books. The kids' acting was pretty bad in the first few movies, but they have improved as the series had moved along.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
The traveling looking for horcruxes and the sword of gryffindor started to remind me of LOTR when the locket was kind of poisoning everyone's mood it seemed very reminiscent of the ring driving everyone crazy.

Yeah, there were more than a few lifts. "They are coming!".

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
Haters gonna hate... If people think they're too "cool" or "old" to read Harry Potter, that's fine. But they're missing out.

I hadn't read the book, but as always thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I liked this more than the last Harry Potter, which coincidentally was the one I liked the least.

I read books 1-3 then lost interest (probably because I busted through them in a month). My favorite movie thus far was number 4 (I think), with that awesome fight scene in the ministry between Potter, Dumbledor and Valdemort all shot in IMAX 3D. Ever since, I've been bored out of my mind with the movies, though this one had its moments.

My main complaint was that the last movie and this movie had WAY too much wasted screen time. I get that they're trying to make money, but take out all of those scenes where the characters are staring at each other without saying anything or staring off into space "thinking," and the last two movies could have been 50% shorter. Maybe the relationships between characters matter more in the books, but in the movies it just doesn't come off very well. A lot of the relationships seem forced despite devoting so much time to it.

Also, I dunno how this is pg-13. In the beginning you had a torture/murder scene, the naked potter/hermoine scene which I agree wasn't really necessary and the suicide in the cartoon cut scene (speaking of which, that cut scene was absolutely amazing. One of the better moments artistically from the entire series. Reminded me a lot of the game Limbo on Xbox 360.) All that seemed too much for kids.

I'm going to try and read the remaining books prior to the next movie coming out so I know what's going on. I think I have missed a lot of the experience by not knowing the little details from the books.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
I read books 1-3 then lost interest (probably because I busted through them in a month). My favorite movie thus far was number 4 (I think), with that awesome fight scene in the ministry between Potter, Dumbledor and Valdemort all shot in IMAX 3D. Ever since, I've been bored out of my mind with the movies, though this one had its moments.

My main complaint was that the last movie and this movie had WAY too much wasted screen time. I get that they're trying to make money, but take out all of those scenes where the characters are staring at each other without saying anything or staring off into space "thinking," and the last two movies could have been 50% shorter. Maybe the relationships between characters matter more in the books, but in the movies it just doesn't come off very well. A lot of the relationships seem forced despite devoting so much time to it.

Also, I dunno how this is pg-13. In the beginning you had a torture/murder scene, the naked potter/hermoine scene which I agree wasn't really necessary and the suicide in the cartoon cut scene (speaking of which, that cut scene was absolutely amazing. One of the better moments artistically from the entire series. Reminded me a lot of the game Limbo on Xbox 360.) All that seemed too much for kids.

I'm going to try and read the remaining books prior to the next movie coming out so I know what's going on. I think I have missed a lot of the experience by not knowing the little details from the books.

The ministry scene was from the 5th movie.

And the later books, I think are way different from the first ones. They are pretty dark. You can still plow through them in a few days, though. They're a nice diversion and a fun read.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
But there is one scene that was added, the dancing scene, which wasn't in the book but many moviegoers and reviewers have found absolutely one of the best parts of the new movie.

I think that must be one of the few additions to the movies that weren't in the book/s.

I felt differently and honestly couldn't remember if it was in the book or not. The scene is a bit perplexing at first because it makes it seem that Harry is indeed trying to come on to Hermione. After having shown Harry and Hermione being together always separate from Ron for a while, then him leaving with that accusation, and then Harry dancing with her like that can really come off the wrong way. I feel like the theme of suspicion and insecurity over Harry and Hermione's relationship is way overblown in the film.

MODS: I really don't know what needs to have spoiler tags because I sort of operate under the assumption that people have read the books or have already seen the film. I think part of the challenge for the filmmakers is making a movie exciting when most of the audience already knows the outcome. They do that really well so I make my conversation with the same assumptions. Anyway, if something needs to be spoiler tagged please do so for me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
But there is one scene that was added, the dancing scene, which wasn't in the book but many moviegoers and reviewers have found absolutely one of the best parts of the new movie.

I think that must be one of the few additions to the movies that weren't in the book/s.

I personally hated that scene and felt it was completely unnecessary

Finally saw the film last night. Enjoyable but as always I am disappointed by what the films changed/added/omitted compare to the book. I understand they have to streamline it to make a 2-hour movie, but some of the changes seemed unnecessary or illogical. Off the top of my head, here are some of the things that bugged me the most out of about a dozen or so deviations/omissions I noticed:

• The need to condense everything also cost the film in terms of character relationship development. Cutting out all the time required to plan the Ministry infiltration, for example, left no room to show how the relationship between Kreature and Harry & Co. developed.

• Not having Harry polyjuiced to look like a Weasly cousin during the wedding undermined all of the need to protect Harry's identity at other times.

• Merely having Wormtail get stunned during the Malfoy Manor escape rather than having him strangled by his silver hand for hesitating (thus betraying Voldemort) totally cuts out a very gripping part of the book and glosses over the death of a relatively important character.

• Hedwig out and flying and defending Harry before being killed was perhaps more Hollywood heroic than being hit by a stray killing curse while still inside the cage, but it's still a deviation that caught my attention.

• Having Harry confront and jinx Umbridge in the Ministry court chamber was also maybe more dramatic than having Hermione do it as she did in the book, but it seemed unnecessary to have all three of them convene in the courtroom prior to their escape.

• Having Greyback's snatchers randomly run into Harry and Co. rather than having them summoned by accidentally uttering the jinxed word 'Voldemort' seemed contrived and unnecessary even from a plot streamlining aspect. It took almost no time for Ron to explain the jinxing of the word in the book. And it doesn't appear the omission was an attempt to write the name-jinxing out of the continuity of the film, because it was implied that uttering the name 'Voldemort' aloud is how Xenophilius Lovegood summoned the Deatheaters to his house.

Now, maybe I missed it, but

did Harry use "Expeliamus" to disarm Draco at Malfoy Manor? Doesn't that need to happen in order for Harry to ultimately be the rightful owner of the Elder Wand?

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
Finally saw the film last night. Enjoyable but as always I am disappointed by what the films changed/added/omitted compare to the book. I understand they have to streamline it to make a 2-hour movie, but some of the changes seemed unnecessary or illogical. Off the top of my head, here are some of the things that bugged me the most out of about a dozen or so deviations/omissions I noticed:

• The need to condense everything also cost the film in terms of character relationship development. Cutting out all the time required to plan the Ministry infiltration, for example, left no room to show how the relationship between Kreature and Harry & Co. developed.

• Not having Harry polyjuiced to look like a Weasly cousin during the wedding undermined all of the need to protect Harry's identity at other times.

• Merely having Wormtail get stunned during the Malfoy Manor escape rather than having him strangled by his silver hand for hesitating (thus betraying Voldemort) totally cuts out a very gripping part of the book and glosses over the death of a relatively important character.

• Hedwig out and flying and defending Harry before being killed was perhaps more Hollywood heroic than being hit by a stray killing curse while still inside the cage, but it's still a deviation that caught my attention.

• Having Harry confront and jinx Umbridge in the Ministry court chamber was also maybe more dramatic than having Hermione do it as she did in the book, but it seemed unnecessary to have all three of them convene in the courtroom prior to their escape.

• Having Greyback's snatchers randomly run into Harry and Co. rather than having them summoned by accidentally uttering the jinxed word 'Voldemort' seemed contrived and unnecessary even from a plot streamlining aspect. It took almost no time for Ron to explain the jinxing of the word in the book. And it doesn't appear the omission was an attempt to write the name-jinxing out of the continuity of the film, because it was implied that uttering the name 'Voldemort' aloud is how Xenophilius Lovegood summoned the Deatheaters to his house.

Now, maybe I missed it, but

did Harry use "Expeliamus" to disarm Draco at Malfoy Manor? Doesn't that need to happen in order for Harry to ultimately be the rightful owner of the Elder Wand?

I agree with everything you've said.

Especially about the Harry/Kreacher development. When Kreacher runs through Hogwarts at the end of the book was one of my favorite parts. I also, thought the Ministry scene was a disappointment. I thought they could have used more build up time--Ron storming off came kind of out of nowhere.

And in terms of your "maybe I missed it"

I think in the book Harry just wrestles the wand away from Draco like he does in the movie. At least I can't remember him actually jinxing him.

Soxy, I'm pretty sure you are right about

the disarming at Malfoy Manor. Ron did use "Expelliarmus" to disarm Bellatrix, but Harry must have just physically wrestled Draco's wand away.

That reminds me of another film change that bugged me — related to the Hedwig plot change in the flight from Privet Drive. In the book it was Harry's use of "Expelliarmus" to disarm an Imperiused Stan Shunpike that gave harry away as the real Harry — not Hedwig coming to protect him. This resulted in there being no need for Lupin to confront Harry about overusing his "signature spell" which I think is an important plot point and an essential part of the books (Harry's humanity and compassion).

I'm being way too nitpicky about a film I actually did think was pretty good. But some of the subtleties edited out of the film are actually among my favorite flourishes in the books.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)

That reminds me of another film change that bugged me — related to the Hedwig plot change in the flight from Privet Drive. In the book it was Harry's use of "Expelliarmus" to disarm an Imperiused Stan Shunpike that gave harry away as the real Harry — not Hedwig coming to protect him. This resulted in there being no need for Lupin to confront Harry about overusing his "signature spell" which I think is an important plot point and an essential part of the books (Harry's humanity and compassion).

Agreed. That was one of the very few things I didn't like about the movie. I tried not to concern myself too much with the other stuff that differed from the book since it is a Hollywood depiction after all, but I thought that plot point was important too.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Soxy, I'm pretty sure you are right about

the disarming at Malfoy Manor. Ron did use "Expelliarmus" to disarm Bellatrix, but Harry must have just physically wrestled Draco's wand away.

That reminds me of another film change that bugged me — related to the Hedwig plot change in the flight from Privet Drive. In the book it was Harry's use of "Expelliarmus" to disarm an Imperiused Stan Shunpike that gave harry away as the real Harry — not Hedwig coming to protect him. This resulted in there being no need for Lupin to confront Harry about overusing his "signature spell" which I think is an important plot point and an essential part of the books (Harry's humanity and compassion).

I'm being way too nitpicky about a film I actually did think was pretty good. But some of the subtleties edited out of the film are actually among my favorite flourishes in the books.

I agree. I was also really bothered by the omission of

Dudley turning back and shaking Harry's hand. I thought that also showed some really major character development.