Going All In Then It's Time to Try Beckham in 3 Spot

Marty34

Time to push the learning curve for Beckham. I don't think they win the division with him hitting 9th or Rios hitting 3rd, and while Beckham may be best suited in the 2 spot I believe he still has the potential to be a solid 3 hitter. A Beckham/Dunn/Konerko*/Rios, middle of the order minimizes the base-clogging of having Dunn/Konerko batting back-to-back.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
Time to push the learning curve for Beckham. I don't think they win the division with him hitting 9th or Rios hitting 3rd, and while Beckham may be best suited in the 2 spot I believe he still has the potential to be a solid 3 hitter. A Beckham/Dunn/Konerko*/Rios, middle of the order minimizes the base-clogging of having Dunn/Konerko batting back-to-back.

If Paulie comes back, Dunn should hit 3rd. Let Paulie hit with a man on. Maybe flip them against lefties.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)

Unfortunately, I don't think Beckham is ready for hitting 3rd and I'd rather not have him bat 2nd if Ozzie is going to insist on sac bunting Pierre over all the time. I'd rather have Ramirez batting 2nd and Beckham batting 7th. If he's got Dunn, Konerko and Quentin in front on him, Beckham is going to have a lot of chances to drive in runs.

I don't think Beckham is ready to bat 3rd, but they need to have him give the 2-spot another shot. I don't want to see him batting 8th or 9th all year.

When it's all said and done, I hope it's:

Pierre, Beckham, Rios, Dunn, Konerko, Quentin, Ramirez, Pierzynski, Morel

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
I think Dunn and Paulie should bat 3rd and 4th, but I'm pretty sure Guillen will want Rios batting 3rd again next season.

This is what I'm worried about as well. Love Rios, but he's not a consistent enough run producer to be in the 3 hole.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Dunn should most certainly hit 3rd IMO

L, R, L, R, R, R, L, R, R

Don't mind Donkey in the 3 hole at all, but I don't want AJP batting as high as 7th...ever...again. Dude needs to hit 8th or 9th only, unless he proves he can actually still hit something.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
Don't mind Donkey in the 3 hole at all, but I don't want AJP batting as high as 7th...ever...again. Dude needs to hit 8th or 9th only, unless he proves he can actually still hit something.

With Dunn & Konerko hitting some where in the middle of the order wouldn't you want a good fastball hitter, like say Ramirez, hitting in front of them?

Whoever hits in front of those really has no excuse not to have a monster year.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
This is what I'm worried about as well. Love Rios, but he's not a consistent enough run producer to be in the 3 hole.

Yeah, I'd want Rios batting 6th if possible. Here would be my ideal lineup (assuming Pierre has to bat leadoff):

1. Pierre

2. Beckham

3. Dunn

4. Konerko

5. Quentin

6. Rios

7. Ramirez

8. Pierzynski

9. Morel

I think that's a really strong lineup. Quentin's ability to hit righties also brings some balance in the middle. With Guillen as our manager though, I'd swap Beckham and Ramirez. I hate taking the bat out of Beckham's hands.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
With Dunn & Konerko hitting some where in the middle of the order wouldn't you want a good fastball hitter, like say Ramirez, hitting in front of them?

Whoever hits in front of those really has no excuse not to have a monster year.

Ramirez needs to prove he can hit in April first. He hasn't done it in 3 years. At least to start the year, I think he needs to be down in the order, and see if Beckham can finally reach his potential.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
I would be really happy if Becksy was hitting 3rd soon...I think long term that's where i want him hitting...but I'm worried enough about his mental state that i wouldn't start the season with him there.

I want to squash the usage of "Becksy" right here and right now, dammit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Something to keep in mind is who hits behind Dunn and Konerko. I worry about it being Quentin or Rios due to the double play issue. I actually wouldn't mind it being Ramirez, with Rios batting 6th and Quentin 7th.

Oh come on fathom, if you put Dunn and Konerko together in the lineup, the DP is something you're going to have to deal with. The only difference between Quentin and Ramirez is which one of them would hit the ball on the ground more; the added speed might save you 1 DP a year. When you look at the GO/AO numbers, Alexei hits far more groundouts than Quentin (probably because he never strikes out). Alexei's GO/AO last year was 1.24, for Quentin it was 0.78, and Quentin consistently hits fewer GB's than Alexei. Even with Quentin's slowness, that's probably several fewer DP's with Quentin hitting behind them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
Oh come on fathom, if you put Dunn and Konerko together in the lineup, the DP is something you're going to have to deal with. The only difference between Quentin and Ramirez is which one of them would hit the ball on the ground more; the added speed might save you 1 DP a year. When you look at the GO/AO numbers, Alexei hits far more groundouts than Quentin (probably because he never strikes out). Alexei's GO/AO last year was 1.24, for Quentin it was 0.78, and Quentin consistently hits fewer GB's than Alexei. Even with Quentin's slowness, that's probably several fewer DP's with Quentin hitting behind them.

I was saying Ramirez over Rios. No way Ozzie bats Rios below Quentin in the order. As a matter of fact, I'll be shocked if Rios isn't batting 3rd again next season with Beckham batting 8th.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
I was saying Ramirez over Rios. No way Ozzie bats Rios below Quentin in the order. As a matter of fact, I'll be shocked if Rios isn't batting 3rd again next season with Beckham batting 8th.

That's exactly how I'd start the season. If Becksy starts off on fire and Alexei starts off slowly, I wouldn't be stubborn with it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
Yeah, I'd want Rios batting 6th if possible. Here would be my ideal lineup (assuming Pierre has to bat leadoff):

1. Pierre

2. Beckham

3. Dunn

4. Konerko

5. Quentin

6. Rios

7. Ramirez

8. Pierzynski

9. Morel

I think that's a really strong lineup. Quentin's ability to hit righties also brings some balance in the middle. With Guillen as our manager though, I'd swap Beckham and Ramirez. I hate taking the bat out of Beckham's hands.

I agree with this lineup to start the year, and if Lexi and Bacon are both having good years, I'd like to see Lexi at 2 and GB at 3 eventually.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
I agree with this lineup to start the year, and if Lexi and Bacon are both having good years, I'd like to see Lexi at 2 and GB at 3 eventually.

Actually the more I think about it, eventually I'd like to have Rios in the two hole with Becks 3 and Lexi at 6 or 7. If Rios is a bad bunter, all the better, so maybe then Ozzie just lets Juan steal, which he should anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
I want to squash the usage of "Becksy" right here and right now, dammit.

Yeah...gonna have to second that. Ghey1

I'm really dumbfounded people even talk about Beckham in the 3 hole. In a perfect world...sure...but he's not even close to being anywhere near that spot in the order. I'm just hoping for a bounce back year from him for cryin' out loud.