Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
I think it's too early to say he "belongs" there though. I absolutely think he needs/deserves more time dedicated to one position for a full year before we can make that judgement. And, even if it is two years, he'll still only be 23 and we'll have 3 years left of control on him. I could absolutely see a scenario where he and Konerko split time in 2013 because PK starts to falter.

The reason why we think that is just body type. It sounds a lot like he's the sort that will be built but have some weight problems over the years. Even with his cannon on the right side, that's going to make handling any other position difficult because it'll limit his mobility.

Oh, and a tradeable asset with value sitting at Charlotte for 3 years? That doesn't sound like the Kenny Williams I know.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
Exactly. If the right deal came about. Flowers means nothing to me. But that's me. Viciedo as the centerpiece in a deal for Broxton? Sign my ass up. But the Dodgers wouldn't do it at this point.

I think the Dodgers would contemplate the move. They have no logn-term catching prospect and Vicieco is a nice bat. Problem is they have Loney right now and I don't see the Dodgers playing Viciedo in the field so he really isn't a viable option unless Loney is dangled. Even than I'm not certain why the Dodgers would make this move as a whole.

One thing to remember is the White Sox have a guy who could make Juan Pierre forgotten about in about 2 years...Jared Mitchell. Unfortunately his injury makes him a much bigger risk but I don't buy into Rogers crap. It seems like other reports have indicated that he showed his speed in bursts in the AFL. And as far as I was concerned, him just playing and getting a feel for things in the AFL was valuable enough.

Now he gets to spend an entire off-season further improving his shape and preparing him for what will hopefully be a strong minor league campaign.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm one of Viciedo's biggest fans on this site. I love the raw tools but I also know he has limitations. However, you made a valid point about letting him spend this season in AAA and playing left field on a regular basis. I don't have a problem with that, but I also know we have major league needs and if the right offer is out there I'm okay moving Viciedo.

I'd move anyone for the right offer, I'm just afraid of trading him for far less than what we should.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
I'd move anyone for the right offer, I'm just afraid of trading him for far less than what we should.

Unfortunately...if we move him now, I think that's the likely result. His ceiling is a more powerful version of Vlad Guerrero, but if you move him now, you're moving him as a blocked player with a fairly low probability of hitting that ceiling.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
I think the Dodgers would contemplate the move. They have no logn-term catching prospect and Vicieco is a nice bat. Problem is they have Loney right now and I don't see the Dodgers playing Viciedo in the field so he really isn't a viable option unless Loney is dangled. Even than I'm not certain why the Dodgers would make this move as a whole.

One thing to remember is the White Sox have a guy who could make Juan Pierre forgotten about in about 2 years...Jared Mitchell. Unfortunately his injury makes him a much bigger risk but I don't buy into Rogers crap. It seems like other reports have indicated that he showed his speed in bursts in the AFL. And as far as I was concerned, him just playing and getting a feel for things in the AFL was valuable enough.

Now he gets to spend an entire off-season further improving his shape and preparing him for what will hopefully be a strong minor league campaign.

I'm trying to forget about Juan Pierre right now because he makes me want to hurl. But I agree. Mitchell is one of, like, 2 prospects we have right now that really, really intrigues me. I just hope it doesn't take him forever to bounce back from missing so much time. So are you saying that you wouldn't deal Dayan, Flowers and whatever scrub for Broxton and maybe another piece? That's where this all started for me. I hate hypothetical trades with no substance like Megatron hates Optimus prime. But I'm buzzed and bored and had to speak my mind.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
I'm one of Viciedo's biggest fans on this site. I love the raw tools but I also know he has limitations. However, you made a valid point about letting him spend this season in AAA and playing left field on a regular basis. I don't have a problem with that, but I also know we have major league needs and if the right offer is out there I'm okay moving Viciedo.

slowly turning into me!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
I'm trying to forget about Juan Pierre right now because he makes me want to hurl. But I agree. Mitchell is one of, like, 2 prospects we have right now that really, really intrigues me. I just hope it doesn't take him forever to bounce back from missing so much time. So are you saying that you wouldn't deal Dayan, Flowers and whatever scrub for Broxton and maybe another piece? That's where this all started for me. I hate hypothetical trades with no substance like Megatron hates Optimus prime. But I'm buzzed and bored and had to speak my mind.

I thought you were coming around with regards to Juan...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
Unfortunately...if we move him now, I think that's the likely result. His ceiling is a more powerful version of Vlad Guerrero, but if you move him now, you're moving him as a blocked player with a fairly low probability of hitting that ceiling.

I assume you are talking about offensive ceiling, but even than I think this is a pretty ridiculous statement. Guerrero had a lot of power in his career and always hit for a very high average. On top of it, at one point in time, he was an above average defensive player.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
I assume you are talking about offensive ceiling, but even than I think this is a pretty ridiculous statement. Guerrero had a lot of power in his career and always hit for a very high average. On top of it, at one point in time, he was an above average defensive player.

Yeah, that was a ridiculous statement.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)

I have no idea why you are buzzed at noon time on a Thursday, but I'd consider making that deal. The risk to me is Broxton is getting close to being a free agent and if I deal those prospects I'd prefer getting back more cost controlled guys giving the current financial situation of the Sox. But if JR is ok with the higher payroll that is fine. Broxton isn't cheap though (last year of a 2yr deal) so I don't really see how he is an option.

Unless of course Teahen is involved in a deal. I would trade Teahen/Viciedo/Filler for Broxton.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)

Trayce Thompson is another guy that excites me. Incredibly high bust rate, but great raw tools (both offensively and defensively). I'd be pretty pissed if we traded him because I don't think we'd get the equivalent value for him.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
slowly turning into me!

Haha. I would be mad if they traded Viciedo for an old reliever. But if they got a younger player who is cost controlled, I have no problem with it. This team is built to win and while I dont' want to sacrifice the future and trade Dayan for a one year stop-gap, there are a lot of potential options that make sense, especially since as of now he has very few positions he could fit into.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
Heard the Sox are still kicking the tires on Accardo. Very typical for the sox, getting a guy off injury and try him on a bounce back year. Fits there MO.

Ok, I know nothing about this guy. What is so intriguing about him? I assume we are referring to the guy that had played with the Blue Jays? All I can tell is that even the one year he posted a good ERA he had a horrendous WHIP (>1.5).

I assume he has a live, power arm or something?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:10 PM)
Ok, I know nothing about this guy. What is so intriguing about him? I assume we are referring to the guy that had played with the Blue Jays? All I can tell is that even the one year he posted a good ERA he had a horrendous WHIP (>1.5).

Throws a cutter, I'm pretty sure. I think he has some drastic splits, as righties hit him much better.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
Haha. I would be mad if they traded Viciedo for an old reliever. But if they got a younger player who is cost controlled, I have no problem with it. This team is built to win and while I dont' want to sacrifice the future and trade Dayan for a one year stop-gap, there are a lot of potential options that make sense, especially since as of now he has very few positions he could fit into.

Ok we agree. My point all along is they are in the win now mode and they need a 5th starter/ long relief guy until they find out about peavy.( Sort of like a sean Lowe type of guy.This won't happen until closer to spring training when they get a better read on Peavy. They also need one or two other pretty decent relief pitchers. Bullpens make a huge difference in winning. Our best trading chip is viciedo. So unless they want to take on more payroll from a free agent he maybe our best bet. If you can get someone without him great.

Next problem is having a starting pitcher in triple A who can come up for a start or two in case of rain outs, Injuries and so on. In the past we had some guys like that, but not seeing it there, for a "all in team". Maybe if people drop some in the spring training we can get a guy, but I think this is a hole as well.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
Ok we agree. My point all along is they are in the win now mode and they need a 5th starter/ long relief guy until they find out about peavy.( Sort of like a sean Lowe type of guy.This won't happen until closer to spring training when they get a better read on Peavy. They also need one or two other pretty decent relief pitchers. Bullpens make a huge difference in winning. Our best trading chip is viciedo. So unless they want to take on more payroll from a free agent he maybe our best bet. If you can get someone without him great.

Next problem is having a starting pitcher in triple A who can come up for a start or two in case of rain outs, Injuries and so on. In the past we had some guys like that, but not seeing it there, for a "all in team". Maybe if people drop some in the spring training we can get a guy, but I think this is a hole as well.

This would be the perfect time to have a guy like Hudson (not Hudson) but a prospect like him that we could use in a pinch for a few starts while we wait on Peavy. But right now we really don't have that guy available outside of Sale who seems to be penciled into an important spot in the bullpen.

I completely agree the Sox will wait on starting pitching until they get a better read on Peavy. It really only makes sense. However, if I were the Sox and I traded some of my young prospects for a young pitcher, I'd do it with the thought the pitcher might also have a shot to throw a few starts for the squad.

It will be interesting to see what the Sox do to round out the pen, but Kenny tends to do good work when he goes bargain hunting. I also have little doubt that the a month from now there won't be at least one or two veteran 5th starters that can be had at a bargain rate to hopefully give you some innings until Peavy comes back (or if Peavy doesn't, the Sox can than try to acquire another starter if need be, but now is just too early to do so).

Focal point will definitely be on the pen for Kenny.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)

he is cheap closed 30 games for the blue Jays in 2007. became wild had a arm injury in 2009, couldnt crack the club in 2010 played in Vegas most of the year. I am not saying we should get him. I am just letting you know my guy tells me they are looking at him. (Currently throwing in AZ). I have asked for another update today. This info came first thing this morning.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)

I don't get the Accardo interest. He has had one good year in his ML life with a 2.14 ERA in 2007. He had a nice ERA in limited innings in 2009 (2.55), but a horrific WHIP (1.62). Man I hope this is not the type we are going to go after because he pretty much blows. Would rather see s***ty prospects pitch than this bum. I wonder if there is any thought to moving Addison Reed back to a reliever to speed his timetable up? As well, I am now fully convinced Sale is going to be in the pen as the closer with Matt and Sergio as the set-up men. Pena as one of the middle relievers.

EDIT: I see Addison relieved most of this year in the minors.

Edited by maggsmaggs