Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
But in both cases we can agree that the 'run producer' hits 4th and guy with the best average hits 3rd.

I think it ultimately comes down to OPS and wOBA, as those have better correlation to runs scored than batting average or whatever you might use to measure runs produced.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
You don't need high averages to win games...you need runs.

Let's ask it this way, hypothetically, let's say Beckham comes out and gives a .900-ish OPS while hitting .310, similar to what he did in the 2nd half last year except with a bit more power.

On the other hand, Dunn gives you a .900 OPS with 42 home runs, but hits .245 and strikes out 190 times, with the slugging and walks making up for the low average.

Which guy would you want where? I've qualified with similar OPS values between the 2 guys, so now we're talking roughly similar runs between them.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
I personally think of "best hitter" as the most complete. In this case I think Konerko. My lineup would have Konerko 3 and Dunn 4. If its the other way around, Konerko might set the record for GIDP as much as Dunn will be on. Dunn doesn't ground into nearly as many DP's.

But it was a damn good post

Welcome aboard :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
I think it ultimately comes down to OPS and wOBA, as those have better correlation to runs scored than batting average or whatever you might use to measure runs produced.

I'm sure Ozzie will carefully examine those particular stats while completing his lineup card.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
Let's ask it this way, hypothetically, let's say Beckham comes out and gives a .900-ish OPS while hitting .310, similar to what he did in the 2nd half last year except with a bit more power.

On the other hand, Dunn gives you a .900 OPS with 42 home runs, but hits .245 and strikes out 190 times, with the slugging and walks making up for the low average.

Which guy would you want where? I've qualified with similar OPS values between the 2 guys, so now we're talking roughly similar runs between them.

You put the high OBP guy in front of the high SLG guy.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
You put the high OBP guy in front of the high SLG guy.

Beckham's OBP in the 2nd half last year was .380, Dunn's OBP in his career is .381. So, the difference I'm giving you is that one guy is walks and HR's, one guy is more well rounded, singles, doubles, and HR, fewer walks though, but similar OBP values and similar slugging.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
Beckham's OBP in the 2nd half last year was .380, Dunn's OBP in his career is .381. So, the difference I'm giving you is that one guy is walks and HR's, one guy is more well rounded, singles, doubles, and HR, fewer walks though, but similar OBP values and similar slugging.

Well then you put Beckham in front of Dunn.

Based on probability, you want the lineup to be a simple descending order of OBP. Of course it's never that simple, but hey, that's just the math of it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
I'm sure Ozzie will carefully examine those particular stats while completing his lineup card.

Of course he will. His ideal lineup with our current roster would be something like...

1) Pierre

2) Lillebridge

3) Teahen

4) Vizquel

5) Teahen

6) Teahen

7) Teahen

8) Vizquel

9) Pierre

Bench

1) Konerko

2) Dunn

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
He already has since he's gonna bat Rios 4th!

Yeah Rios 4th is just silly. Batting him 5th makes some sense, as I believe the 5-hole guy is the most common hitter leading off the second. But even then...Rios isn't exactly an OBP machine.

I think I'd go with this

Pierre

Beckham

Dunn

Konerko

Quentin

Rios

Pierzysnki

Ramirez

Morel

Just for fun, my ideal lineup would be:

Pierre

Beckham

Dunn

Konerko

Rios

Quentin

Ramirez

AJP

Morel

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
I personally think of "best hitter" as the most complete. In this case I think Konerko. My lineup would have Konerko 3 and Dunn 4. If its the other way around, Konerko might set the record for GIDP as much as Dunn will be on. Dunn doesn't ground into nearly as many DP's.

Welcome to the Board!

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
I have feeling you will see Alexei batting 2nd, and Beckham batting 8th, pending a miraculous spring by Gordon.

I have a feeling neither of them will bat 2nd out of the spring, because Alexei has that usual April swoon and they probably want to be a little more cautious with Beckham's brain this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
Just for fun, my ideal lineup would be:

Pierre

Beckham

Dunn

Konerko

Rios

Quentin

Ramirez

AJP

Morel

I'd go..

Pierre

Beckham

Konerko

Dunn

Rios

Quentin

AJP

Ramirez

Morel

I just love the 3-6. That's the "danger zone" right there.