2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
I find him to be rather funny.

He was funny when he was edgy, outrageous, and on drugs. Now he comes off as a sell out and soft to me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
Man, we have such different tastes when it comes to entertainment.

I didn't say I love the dude, but yeah.

We also have different tastes when it comes to enjoying winning baseball, so there's that, too!

Saw Frozen on Netflix last night. s***, that movie gave me such a hopeless feeling. Kind of like Buried did. I don't want to spoil anything, but I was kind of having some anxiety watching it and just feeling like I would have no chance of survival in that situation!

Except I would jump off w/ my snowboard on of course. Spread out the points of impact and reduce the impact on my legs, but that's just me.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
Source Code is really F'n good. Duncan Jones has SciFi down.

He is being considered to direct the second Wolverine movie now that Aranofsky dropped out

So far today i have watched the following:

Dracula - 1931

Frankenstein - 1931.

Freaks - 1932. In this movie they used all real freaks. It's incredibly cool to see. For the longest time this was considered the most graphic film to hit the big screen. Those of you who have weak stomachs may have a hard time... and there is zero blood shed. Just a note to the pansies out there...

Daisy and violet hilton were siamese twins that were in freaks... 22 years later they starred in a movie called chained for life.

A Siamese twin kills the husband who left her. The courts have to decide if she is convicted of murder, how can they punish her sister, who had nothing to do with the crime?

Not a great movie by any means... but very interesting nonetheless.. i mean the synopsis should lead you to believe that much.

The invisible man - 1933.

Bride of Frankenstein - 1935.

The wolf man - 1941.

Man of a thousand faces - 1957.

Bud abbott and lou costello meet frankenstein (1948) will likely be the last film of this theme for tonight... i tend to like end my movie viewing on a lighter note. Well that and i love abbot and costello, so this is as good of an excuse as any.

============================================================================

Flasoxx... have you ever seen man of a thousand faces? I only ask because it seems pretty unlikely that anyone else has seen it other than potentially yourself. People complain about the story, that it's not entirely accurate or what not, which is truthful. Only if you knew about lon chaney's real life would it really bother someone... the average person would have no clue other wise. Anyway, i asked because of cagney's performance in it, i think he did a magnificent portrayal, and it was just so much different than any other cagney film, which is what boosts it up a notch for me.

Edited by qwerty

Sucker Punch...visually interesting, but horribly written, definitely wait and see after its left the multiplexes (if you're a HUGE Zach Snyder fan, because of the CGI/cinematographical aspects, you might give it a shot.)...I compare it to THE FOUNTAIN in the sense that it was a huge overreach by an ambitious director who USUALLY has a way of expressing his psyche in an interestingly "eclectic" manner

Limitless...I really liked this movie, I've been a fan of his since Alias (Cooper), will be interested to see if HANGOVER 2 makes him a breakout star or if he takes a step backwards...Abbie Cornish was also in Sucker Punch, where she had a meatier role to work with (side note, seeing Jamie Chung in person walking down the street wearing the outfit she went out to fight the Nazi "zombies" and zeppelins in would be a close 2nd to the White Sox 2005 WS victory)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/movies/b...oper&st=cse

Inside Job...in all honesty, I preferred the fictional THE COMPANY MEN flick with Tommie Lee Jones, Affleck and Chris Cooper (I think it's perhaps from burnout on this topic, like Gulf War-themed movies other than The Hurt Locker and 3 Kings)

No Strings Attached...I guess this movie has to rate either 2.5 or 2.75, depending on your feelings for Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher, I liked it a BIT more than I thought I would, but certainly wasn't overwhelmed

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 04:14 AM)
So far today i have watched the following:

Dracula - 1931

Frankenstein - 1931.

Freaks - 1932. In this movie they used all real freaks. It's incredibly cool to see. For the longest time this was considered the most graphic film to hit the big screen. Those of you who have weak stomachs may have a hard time... and there is zero blood shed. Just a note to the pansies out there...

Daisy and violet hilton were siamese twins that were in freaks... 22 years later they starred in a movie called chained for life.

Not a great movie by any means... but very interesting nonetheless.. i mean the synopsis should lead you to believe that much.

The invisible man - 1933.

Bride of Frankenstein - 1935.

The wolf man - 1941.

Man of a thousand faces - 1957.

Bud abbott and lou costello meet frankenstein (1948) will likely be the last film of this theme for tonight... i tend to like end my movie viewing on a lighter note. Well that and i love abbot and costello, so this is as good of an excuse as any.

============================================================================

Flasoxx... have you ever seen man of a thousand faces? I only ask because it seems pretty unlikely that anyone else has seen it other than potentially yourself. People complain about the story, that it's not entirely accurate or what not, which is truthful. Only if you knew about lon chaney's real life would it really bother someone... the average person would have no clue other wise. Anyway, i asked because of cagney's performance in it, i think he did a magnificent portrayal, and it was just so much different than any other cagney film, which is what boosts it up a notch for me.

Making your way through the Universal horror archives — I like it. Bride of Frankenstein is my favorite of the classics (as it is most people's I think), with Dracula a close second.

Now, for a real treat if you haven't seen it, seek out the Spanish-language/Spanish cast version of Dracula that starred Carlos Villarias and was shot at night on the same sets as the Browning/Legosi version. I have it on the Dracula 75th anniversary set that came out a few years back. It is excellent.

I have seen Man of a Thousand Faces, but it was at least 20 years ago. I recall liking it and not being too bothered with historic inauthenticity plus Thurston Howell III was in it, so what's not to like?

On the subject of historic horror biopics, where do you stand on Shadow of the Vampire (Yes, I do know Max Schreck wasn't actually a vampyr) and Gods and Monsters? I think they are both excellent.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
feel free to be the first

I guess it would like like this though:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
I guess it would like like this though:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am also guessing that minimum 10 following posts would contain variations of "this means nothing without pictures" as well