2011 TV Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
This is pretty much how everyone characterizes every show. "The first season was the best, except for that one season in the middle which was awesome". We have had this argument before, and you seem to turn on all of the shows you watch, I have seen it with Sunny, SOA, and BB. You start to pick at different aspects and characters. Eventually every show comes full circle and retreads old ground.

Dexter is what it is, I dont know what you want to change to make it something better. Each season Dexter explores different aspects of his dark passenger and how he fits in the rest of the world.

If you look around the internet, a lot of people think that Dexter has gone way downhill since season two. But, please explain where I've turned on Breaking Bad? That show has gotten better and better with each season. Hell, I said that about 10 minutes ago. Another show that I can think of that's gotten better and better is Mad Men. I thought the first season of that was boring and shallow, but it has grown much more interesting and developed depth for each character.

SOA got better between the first and second season, but I want you to find anyone that says season three didn't suck besides the finale. And the show has definitely brought in scenarios deus ex machina on several occasions, which always brings down the quality of any show. And Gemma is forced into the storyline way too much. And Sunny, like any comedy, gets less funny as the series goes on. There's only so many jokes you can make.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
If you look around the internet, a lot of people think that Dexter has gone way downhill since season two. But, please explain where I've turned on Breaking Bad? That show has gotten better and better with each season. Hell, I said that about 10 minutes ago. Another show that I can think of that's gotten better and better is Mad Men. I thought the first season of that was boring and shallow, but it has grown much more interesting and developed depth for each character.

SOA got better between the first and second season, but I want you to find anyone that says season three didn't suck besides the finale. And the show has definitely brought in scenarios deus ex machina on several occasions, which always brings down the quality of any show. And Gemma is forced into the storyline way too much. And Sunny, like any comedy, gets less funny as the series goes on. There's only so many jokes you can make.

I retract Breaking Bad, but people in general just stop liking certain shows for following a formula. Its not that you are wrong for it, you just grew tired of it. Thats fine, but that doesnt make the show bad to others. For me, Dexter was good 1 and 2, 3 wasnt good, 4 was amazing, and 5 was a mess. 6 has a chance for me, because Dexter doesnt have Astor and Cody clogging it up, and he is by himself again. It will never be as good as the Icebox killer, because that was a good family tie-in.

And come on, "look around the internet"? I might as well poll people in KC

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
For me, Dexter was good 1 and 2, 3 wasnt good, 4 was amazing, and 5 was a mess.

I enjoyed three only for Miguel, but the tree trimmers were lame. Even you agree above that season 5 was awful, and the first episode of season 6 needs to be destroyed from evidence.

I retract Breaking Bad, but people in general just stop liking certain shows for following a formula. Its not that you are wrong for it, you just grew tired of it. Thats fine, but that doesnt make the show bad to others. For me, Dexter was good 1 and 2, 3 wasnt good, 4 was amazing, and 5 was a mess. 6 has a chance for me, because Dexter doesnt have Astor and Cody clogging it up, and he is by himself again. It will never be as good as the Icebox killer, because that was a good family tie-in.

He got you there... :lolhitting

I meant people who write about shows professionally.

And with your grading of seasons, I basically agree. The only thing that hasn't prevented the last 3 seasons from sucking was John Lithgow. You put almost any other actor into that role, and season four was really bad. It says a lot more for the actor than for the show/writing as a whole. It's like watching a bad movie with a really great lead actor. You like the movie for the performance, but damn that movie was boring. Like Doubt.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
I enjoyed three only for Miguel, but the tree trimmers were lame. Even you agree above that season 5 was awful, and the first episode of season 6 needs to be destroyed from evidence.

I enjoyed Dexter being the popular guy with the head cheerleader ;), I also liked EJO and Colin Hanks being introduced.

Season 5 was so messed up. They just left certain things alone like the gang killers, Johnny Lee Millers character was just wrapped up too quickly, and all of his sidekicks were just disposed of like it was no big deal. I know that it is hard coming off an epic season like 4, but we all know they mailed it in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
Ben was incredible because he would get so far down at points, you actually felt sorry for him. Then he would just crush someone totally unexpectedly, and even unneededly. I think that is what sets him apart from Gus who it is just a business for. With Ben it was personal.

I agree with this.

So I think some others have referenced Boardwalk Empire in here. My wife and I just started season one last night. Got through 4 episodes in one sitting... needless to say we liked it a lot. My only problem so far is the casting of Jimmy's mom. She's supposed to be what, late 30's? But she looks 25. Sorta strange. That, and the Chicago accents are terrible. But that's not really a big deal.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
So I think some others have referenced Boardwalk Empire in here. My wife and I just started season one last night. Got through 4 episodes in one sitting... needless to say we liked it a lot. My only problem so far is the casting of Jimmy's mom. She's supposed to be what, late 30's? But she looks 25. Sorta strange. That, and the Chicago accents are terrible. But that's not really a big deal.

That's Gretchen Mol. I reckon she was close to 25 in Rounders, so I'd say the age is perfect. It's not her fault she's still so blazin'!

Born in 72, so that broad is 39. Hot damn, lookin' good.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)

I love the casting and character of Al Capone. I really hope they expand on him a lot more.

Man, I love when this thread is bumping.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
I wonder how much better Dexter would be if they hadn't killed off Rita. That maybe it's JUMP THE SHARK moment.

That was it's greatest moment. Season 5 was really good compared to what we've seen so far this year... and still it stunk. I think what we're seeing is exactly what milk has already stated. Seasons 1 and 2 were absolutely fantastic. To go from Ice Truck Killer to Bay Harbor Butcher was outstanding. Season 3 a lot of people didn't like too much, but I thought Jimmy Smits was simply fantastic as Miguel, and the dynamic between he and Dexter was brilliant.

Seriously, the scene where Dexter admits he killed Miguel's brother, and the look on Miguel's face... such anger and hatred right before knife through heart.

Season 4? I thought it was pretty well-written and they did a good job tying previous seasons together. Lithgow took it to another level.

Season 5 had too many similarities to season 3, but instead of drinking beers with the person he's letting experience the Dexter way, Dexter's having sex with said person. I thought the season was slow and I didn't really care, but I'd hoped this year would bounce back.

I still have to watch the 2nd episode of this season, so maybe Dexter is going to bounce back as EJA and Hanks get more involved. Like I've said four times already, the first episode was such a parody, and so poorly written, that I wanted to kill someone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
I wonder how much better Dexter would be if they hadn't killed off Rita. That maybe it's JUMP THE SHARK moment.

I dont think that is necessarily a jump the shark moment, because it was brilliant, not ridiculous. It was a series ending moment, and instead, they chose to continue on. That was the moment everything came full circle for Dexter, and it should have ended right there. The entire season 5 was Jumping the Shark. I still watch because I love the characters, but I understand that the show has lost its appeal to many. I just hold out hope that season 6 can be a redeemer.

Oh, and Steve, Shameless is hilarious. You will LOVE Frank. And Emmy Rossum is slutty sexy

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
That's Gretchen Mol. I reckon she was close to 25 in Rounders, so I'd say the age is perfect. It's not her fault she's still so blazin'!

Born in 72, so that broad is 39. Hot damn, lookin' good.

Wow, yeah kudos to her. She's incredibly hot for being near 40.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
Man, I love when this thread is bumping.

Me too. I love when I get to participate after finally being able to watch BB. I'm going to have to go dark this Sunday due to Bears vs Vikings with all these great shows being on (Walking Dead supplanting BB, obviously).

I still have to watch the 2nd episode of Homeland, finally, and that series debut has be PUMPED.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
Me too. I love when I get to participate after finally being able to watch BB. I'm going to have to go dark this Sunday due to Bears vs Vikings with all these great shows being on (Walking Dead supplanting BB, obviously).

I still have to watch the 2nd episode of Homeland, finally, and that series debut has be PUMPED.

I'm glad Breaking Bad and Walking Dead don't overlap. My Sunday night is already full with Walking Dead, Dexter, and Boardwalk Empire.

I've taken to using my Netflix/Blockbuster account to catch up on shows I never watched but was always interested in seeing. I've finished Mad Men, about to finish Rome, and then I will go on to watch Damages, The Tudors, The Shield, and A Game Of Thrones.

My roommate owns the complete series of The Wire, so I will be watching those in between mailings.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)

2nd episode was better BTW.

QUOTE (onedude @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
2nd episode was better BTW.

Yeah, second episode was really really good.

Also, concerning Gretchen Mol: she's damn fine. Plenty of gorgeous women on that show.

The s*** Nucky pulled in the restaurant? Fantastic. I was kinda pissed Margaret went back to being a jerk to the waitstaff, though (even if I get why it happened).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
Yeah, second episode was really really good.

Also, concerning Gretchen Mol: she's damn fine. Plenty of gorgeous women on that show.

The s*** Nucky pulled in the restaurant? Fantastic. I was kinda pissed Margaret went back to being a jerk to the waitstaff, though (even if I get why it happened).

I'm wondering how long(season-wise) they can keep this story going

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
What in the f***ing f***? Hector killed Gus, not the other way around... Gus only went to end Hector's s***-ass existence because of the plan set forth by Walt that was superseded by Hector... killing Walt.

You clearly don't pay any attention to BB.

Lol. I assume you are joking.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
i think you guys have buried Dexter too early. I am interested in seeing how he struggles to understand religion, and I think EJO and Colin Hanks look to be some sick individuals with perverse interpretations of their own religion. The relationship between them is pretty crazy, the end scene in episode two was out there.

Brian, you called Deb getting Lieutenant out of the box, nice call.

They spoiled that in the season preview they did a few weeks ago when multiple characters referred to her at "Lt. Morgan"

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
They spoiled that in the season preview they did a few weeks ago when multiple characters referred to her at "Lt. Morgan"

Well I didn't catch that so therefor I rule.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
Apparently your brain is akin to that of a brick wall's.

I don't even understand what's going on at this point. Did you seriously think that I saw the entire epic scene of Gus getting his face blown off, commented on it, and then forgot it entirely? You aren't making any sense right now. Obviously Hector killed Gus, my point was that Gus was on his way to kill Hector, that was the reason he went to the old folks home, that's the reason he had a syringe in his hand. Obviously they both died in the explosion that Hector triggered, but the point still remains that Gus was going to kill Hector.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24