Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in head

Balta1701

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
aaaare you kidding me?

No, he's not. They're all doing it, some just do it smarter and with better disguise than others.

people who view the world like you do are the reason i've been becoming more and more apathetic to politics in the last couple years. it's literally like banging your head against a wall repeatedly. (and yes I do mean literally).

Translation: Because everyone doesn't think exactly like I think, I'm more apathetic to politics...blah blah blah, heads against wall. You should have given us a line about how open minded you are, too...because then this really would have been awesome.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
let me put this simply so you understand. Insane people also have reasons for taking action. Whether those reasons make sense to us is irrelevant. You're suggesting we shouldn't look for the reasons, simply because he's insane.

You do realize how idiotic that is, correct?

What are you babbling about here exactly? When did I say we shouldn't find out what this guys motivation was? My point is that we shouldn't (1) use this tragedy to further s*** on someone you don't like, and (2) jump to insane conclusions ("it's the political rhetoric in this country, spearheaded by the GOP!") without knowing any of the facts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
Really? How is your life made worse if he spends life in jail?

Because, he continues to suck up massive amounts of resources when a 5 cent bullet could end his lean on society forever. It's not like we are talking bout someone that "may have" murdered people, and we don't want to risk the off chance he's innocent. We are talking about a person that actually DID it.

I have zero sympathy here. Keeping this parasite alive is BEYOND f***ing insane. The fact that a little girl (amongst others), was robbed of her chance to live the better part of her life because of this trash is more than enough reason for me. It's not about bringing her back, either...it's about setting a precedent for others that will inevitably follow in his footsteps, rob people of their f***ing LIVES and DREAMS, and then live on in jail, watching television and eating three square meals a day.

What's truly behind comprehension to me is that you stand here arguing for his life.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
You really and truly think that setting a precedent for the future will somehow deter the next person who wants to do this?

In the end, I don't care.

I hope he dies a miserable, horrific, painful death.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
And that bloodlust gets no one anywhere.

It does for me. Anyone caught red handed should be dealt with in this same way. I'm not talking about people accused of murder...I'm talking about people we KNOW did it, so there is no in-between or possibility of innocence.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
It does for me. Anyone caught red handed should be dealt with in this same way. I'm not talking about people accused of murder...I'm talking about people we KNOW did it, so there is no in-between or possibility of innocence.

And I take a lot of pride in the fact that our system doesn't work the way you want it to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)
And I take a lot of pride in the fact that our system doesn't work the way you want it to.

Yea, instead, it works wonderfully better.

Take pride in this: The little girl will never get to grow up, possibly get married, fall in love, have her first kiss, possibly have children of her own, or a career...take vacations as an adult, taste wine for the first time with a loved one, etc, etc.

Meanwhile...this parasite gets to live on, watching cable television, reading magazines and fed three times a day (or more), given workout time, etc...all on the public dime!

Awesome.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Yea, instead, it works wonderfully better.

Take pride in this: The little girl will never get to grow up, possibly get married, fall in love, have her first kiss, possibly have children of her own, or a career...take vacations as an adult, taste wine for the first time with a loved one, etc, etc.

Meanwhile...this parasite gets to live on, watching cable television, reading magazines and fed three times a day (or more), given workout time, etc...all on the public dime!

Awesome.

So if we kill him she'll get all those things?

Also, he will never get married, have kids, buy a house, go fishing, take a cruise, hang out in Vegas, or have any freedom whatsoever. A long life of suffering and loneliness is pretty s***ty.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
So if we kill him she'll get all those things?

Also, he will never get married, have kids, buy a house, go fishing, take a cruise, hang out in Vegas, or have any freedom whatsoever. A long life of suffering and loneliness is pretty s***ty.

It's not about bringing her back, I've already covered this. He's now a drain on the economy, nothing more, and he never will be anything more. He CHOSE the life of suffering and loneliness, he KNEW the only two outcomes of this were 1) he dies or 2) what he gets now...the little girl didn't choose what she got, however.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
It's not about bringing her back, I've already covered this. He's now a drain on the economy, nothing more, and he never will be anything more. He CHOSE the life of suffering and loneliness, he KNEW the only two outcomes of this were 1) he dies or 2) what he gets now...the little girl didn't choose what she got, however.

He's more of a drain on the economy if the State chooses to kill him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
He's more of a drain on the economy if the State chooses to kill him.

Because of bureaucracy and stupidity. Like I said, a 5 cent bullet would do the trick, and I guarantee it costs less.

In either case, Sqwert/Balta and Y2HH will NEVER agree on this. :)

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
My side is we need to ratchet down the rhetoric to a level that actual will allow for cooperation and lesson the "sides". No validation, just sick of the hate and the who cares what is best for America as long as the other side loses. Bush sucks so Dems want him (and by extension the country) to fail. The GOP wants Obama to fail so they can say I told you so. I think that is wrong.

Are you really defending ads with gun targets?

Oh please. The guy is a 31 year old white male with left wing leanings. Odds are that he got more out of FPS games and Hollywood than he did Sarah Palin. Funny, that doesn't get mentioned, with the left wingers here that jumped on this first because it was a Dem Congressperson who got shot. If it was really an attack on the "climate" of hate, IT WOULDN'T BE ONE SIDED. When you are posting from just one side, you are trying to take advantage of dead people to further your own selfishness. And if you really want an answer, find me where I defended the ad, at all, ever. That is complete bulls***. You can take advantage of this all you want, but at least have the stones to not act like this is something it isn't.

aaaare you kidding me?

people who view the world like you do are the reason i've been becoming more and more apathetic to politics in the last couple years. it's literally like banging your head against a wall repeatedly. (and yes I do mean literally).

I have thought the same thing reading your posts in this thread.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Oh please. The guy is a 31 year old white male with left wing leanings. Odds are that he got more out of FPS games and Hollywood than he did Sarah Palin. Funny, that doesn't get mentioned, with the left wingers here that jumped on this first because it was a Dem Congressperson who got shot. If it was really an attack on the "climate" of hate, IT WOULDN'T BE ONE SIDED. When you are posting from just one side, you are trying to take advantage of dead people to further your own selfishness. And if you really want an answer, find me where I defended the ad, at all, ever. That is complete bulls***. You can take advantage of this all you want, but at least have the stones to not act like this is something it isn't.

Please...give me examples of these people on the left who are advocating second amendment solutions to our problems, who are saying don't retreat, reload, Who are bringing signs to events saying "we came unarmed this time" regularly, who are bringing weapons to political events, etc. Please give me examples of the people on the left who are going over this line.

I'll restate this:

I don't think this had anything to do with Sarah Palin. This guy seems to have unmanaged paranoid schizophrenia and thought the government was brainwashing people and so on, so he went and shot the representative in his home district. I'd really like to see the right wing stop using violent rhetoric, but it's not really clear to me that this had anything to do with political rhetoric on either side. It seems more likely this guy was just f***ing crazy.

The point Josh makes is a clear one. A political assassination cannot be dismissed as non-political. And even if one argues, as I would, that Palin bears no direct responsibility at all for this act of violence and that the idea of her as an "accomplice" of some sort is offensive, it remains true that a) Palin specifically targeted this political opponent for "re-loading" within literal gun-sights, B) this was noticed at the time by the future victim as a dangerously violent provocation, c) Palin upped the ante when confronted with this criticism and refused to back down, and is even now apoplectic that this should be in any way about her. If your response to these set of facts is to deny that there is anything awry here, you are part of the problem, it seems to me.

There is no way to understand the politics of this without Palin. She has long been the leader of the movement that drapes itself in military garb, that marinates in violent rhetoric, that worships gun culture, that has particular ferocity in the state of Arizona, and that never ever apologizes for anything.

My hope is that this horrifying momentary conflation of politics, guns and mental illness will lead responsible figures on the right to eschew the path of Palin. I hope this ends the appeal of Palinism's primordial emotions and divisiveness. I hope it brings us back to a more responsible center-right that seeks dialogue rather than warfare. The signs among the hard core of the far right are not, alas, promising.

And so we wait for a Republican leader who is not a Palinite or in fear of them. And we wait.

via

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
.give me examples of these people on the left who are advocating second amendment solutions to our problems, who are saying don't retreat, reload

took me about 2 seconds to find this gem. there's a lot more as well if i wanted to waste my time digging them up.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/06/14/o...we-bring-a-gun/

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,”

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
Please...give me examples of these people on the left who are advocating second amendment solutions to our problems, who are saying don't retreat, reload, Who are bringing signs to events saying "we came unarmed this time" regularly, who are bringing weapons to political events, etc. Please give me examples of the people on the left who are going over this line.

I guess you missed the Bush years?

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/01/10/the-p...imer-2000-2010/

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
took me about 2 seconds to find this gem. there's a lot more as well if i wanted to waste my time digging them up.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/06/14/o...we-bring-a-gun/

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,”

That's actually a good one.