Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in head

Balta1701

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Congresswoman Giffords's husband Mark has an identical twin brother named Scott Kelly. Mark, I already noted, is an astronaut. Turns out Scott Kelly is as well.

Scott Kelly, interestingly enough, is currently orbiting the Earth.

Mark will be orbiting in a couple months with a friend of mine, Mike Fossum.

This is such a horrible tragedy. I feel for those injured and the families of those killed. It appears the guy who did the shootings seems to be mentally unstable, and didn't have a specific political bend, one way or another. There is a chance, although frankly I'm not that optimistic, that something good can come out of this aftermath. Hopefully, we will see discourse ratchet down from the tension and nastiness that we've seen.

No side holds a monopoly to nastiness, this is true. But if you feel the need to circle the wagons to defend the rhetoric that's come from your side lately, your side has probably been a little too nasty, and this might be hitting a little too close for comfort.

The truth is that we can disagree and we can argue and we can hold differences of political philosophy and policy and still be civil, and still show respect. Many among us, even in the mainstream political world, have chosen to leave that to the wayside - and choosing instead to lead by exploiting fear and anger. This shouldn't be acceptable now, nor should it ever seem acceptable.

We are seeing some signs of comity returning to Congress, starting with Speaker Boehner's suspension of votes on HCR repeal for at least a week, and at least some signs of a return to respectful partisanship. Hopefully, this will be something that is more than temporary.

I hate to say it, but you've gotta laugh at this email exchange between Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin about the shooting. Especially this part.

"Sarah, as you know, peace is always the answer. I know you are felling the same heat, if not much more on this. I want you to know you have my support. But please look into protection for your family. An attempt on you could bring the republic down," Beck wrote. "There are nutjobs on all sides...terror is terror. I don't care if it is for Allah or your party."

Seriously, an attempt on a 1/2 term former governor of Alaska, is going to bring the Republic down?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
I hate to say it, but you've gotta laugh at this email exchange between Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin about the shooting. Especially this part.

"Sarah, as you know, peace is always the answer. I know you are felling the same heat, if not much more on this. I want you to know you have my support. But please look into protection for your family. An attempt on you could bring the republic down," Beck wrote. "There are nutjobs on all sides...terror is terror. I don't care if it is for Allah or your party."

Seriously, an attempt on a 1/2 term former governor of Alaska, is going to bring the Republic down?

Seriously, why do you read from or listen too Glenn Beck? He's a sensationalist doing what he does...sensationalizing.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Seriously, why do you read from or listen too Glenn Beck? He's a sensationalist doing what he does...sensationalizing.

He's the only one who's received any direct communication from the 2008 Republican Vice Presidential Candidate since this event happened. He's making news right there. He's been elevated to a legitimate part of the discourse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
He's the only one who's received any direct communication from the 2008 Republican Vice Presidential Candidate since this event happened. He's making news right there. He's been elevated to a legitimate part of the discourse.

Doesn't mean he needs to be listened too.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
it just amazes me that he is so popular, especially with beliefs like this.

Because people are attracted to sensationalism. There is nothing truly gratifying about watching a train wreck, but if you ever see one, try looking away...it's pretty hard to do. :/ Glenn Beck is a train wreck...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)

Why does it matter? Palin has absolutely nothing to do with the shooting.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
Why does it matter? Palin has absolutely nothing to do with the shooting.

It matters because this was a political event where the politician was the first person shot at by the terrorist. This terrorist also met with this politician at a previous political event. Palin had a sniper's target on her website with the victim's name on it and she used rhetoric with violent undertones. I'm not saying Palin is responsible for this but she certainly needs to be brought up in the discussion of the events that transpired.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
It matters because this was a political event where the politician was the first person shot at by the terrorist. This terrorist also met with this politician at a previous political event. Palin had a sniper's target on her website with the victim's name on it and she used rhetoric with violent undertones. I'm not saying Palin is responsible for this but she certainly needs to be brought up in the discussion of the events that transpired.

So why none of the left wing hate getting mentioned? No quotes from the Daily Kos, where two days before appeared a much similar article than anything Palin has ever done... Why is that mentioned not here, if all we are worried about is the "climate of hate" or what ever garbage is excusing the right wing attacks? After all, you guys are much more avid readers of that, than anything Palin or Beck do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
So why none of the left wing hate getting mentioned? No quotes from the Daily Kos, where two days before appeared a much similar article than anything Palin has ever done... Why is that mentioned not here, if all we are worried about is the "climate of hate" or what ever garbage is excusing the right wing attacks? After all, you guys are much more avid readers of that, than anything Palin or Beck do.

I didn't realize that there are Democrats who have sniper targets on recently assassinated or almost assassinated opponents on their websites.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)

I blame Thomas Jefferson. That f***ing asshole. He had the gall to say "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." It's his fault!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)

A much similar article than anything Palin has ever done?

First of all, link?

Second of all...grammar?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
My Congresswoman is dead, doesn't raise your fancy at all?

Now that I've googled which one you're talking about...I note that you did not complete the post, and as such, you make it appear that it is not the use of the more common colloquialism "Dead to me".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Now that I've googled which one you're talking about...I note that you did not complete the post, and as such, you make it appear that it is not the use of the more common colloquialism "Dead to me".

Now about the bullseye targets that seem to be causing people to kill that appeared on that website?

Palin failed to appreciate the question being posed to her. That question was not: “Are you culpable for the shooting?” The question was: “Having put this unfortunate image on the record, can you respond to the shooting in a way that demonstrates your larger humanity? And possibly also your potential to serve as leader of the entire nation?”

... Of course, Palin has yet to give the answer called for by events. Instead, her rapid response operation has focused on pounding home the message that Palin is innocent, that she has been unfairly maligned by hostile critics. Which in this case happened to be a perfectly credible message. And also perfectly inadequate. Palin’s post-shooting message was about Palin, not about Giffords. It was defensive, not inspiring. And it was petty at a moment when Palin had been handed perhaps her last clear chance to show herself presidentially magnanimous.

Via David Frum

Edited by BigSqwert