2011 Soccer Season

Texsox

I say if he doesnt win the Gold Cup then send Bradley packing.

I also dont buy the wanting to see the depth argument when it comes to who Bradley played today. The starting 11 should have been out there for the first half(minus Donavon since he was sick). Let the scrubs play the final 45 minutes. USSF hyped this game for awhile and sold a lot of tickets, even sold tickets to training sessions. The fans deserved better than this today. I think Bradley didnt want to take the chance of the starters getting worked over by Spain and him getting put on the hot seat. Now he's able to say, "yeah but it wasnt with the starters. This was for seeing what we have for the future." Bulls***, we've seen these guys get lots of minutes against Paraguay and South Africa.

Edited by zenryan

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's interesting is you'd expect Spain to play the second team (I was going to say scrubs then realized that it's Spain and none of our first team would even play for their second team) under these circumstances.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
United States beat Canada 2-0 in their first Gold Cup match. Didn't catch any of the game but sounds as if they were mostly in control. Jozy and Dempsey with the goals.

Really controlled the first half. Could have scored another goal or two before the break.

I dont remember the Gold Cup being so lopsided in the past. Three games have finished 5-0 and another finished 7-1.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 12:03 AM)
Do they still have a good chance of advancing? If they don't, it would be a disaster of epic proportions.

They do. Top 2 in the group and two of the three third place teams advance. Already have that win over Canada and still play Guadeloupe, the worst team in the group.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
The only silver lining is that US can still advance and hopefully its a wake up call. The PK was the killer because it was a stupid foul by the US. There was no intent to take the guy down, just a sloppy play.

sloppy and stupid. The guy from Panama was at the top far corner of the box and going towards the sideline. Just flat out stupid.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
sloppy and stupid. The guy from Panama was at the top far corner of the box and going towards the sideline. Just flat out stupid.

It was an MLS product, Tim Ream. I'm tired of hearing about this guy. If he was so good he would be out of the league by now. Rookie of the year should have given him enough attention to play in a real league.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)

And he wasn't even close to kicking the ball either.

US defeated Guadeloupe 1-0 so they advance to play Jamaica. Should have been a better result but the US did control the game. I'm beginning to think Clint Dempsey might be our best player at this point. Unlike last night, Agudelo has to continue to play though, I don't like anyone else up top with Jozy. And I wish we included Diskerud on this squad, I really liked what i've seen from him in the midfield.

I realize that all they needed was a win, but a 1-0 result vs. Guadeloupe instills very little confidence in this team or program. Maybe they turn it around in the knockout round, but right now they don't seem like a team that will win the whole tournament.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
I realize that all they needed was a win, but a 1-0 result vs. Guadeloupe instills very little confidence in this team or program. Maybe they turn it around in the knockout round, but right now they don't seem like a team that will win the whole tournament.

It really should have been at least 3-0 (Landon missed from point blank and I dont know what Dempsey was doing) but you're still absolutely right. They need to change their scheme and frankly, I don't think Bob Bradley is the right guy to get them to do that.

USMNT looked better than they have all tournament. Completely dominated, as they should have. Agudelo played well, sucks about Jozy, hopefully he can come back, we'd probably need him against Mexico. Kljestan shockingly had a very good game as well, can't believe I just typed that. Cherundelo solid once again and Dempsey again showing that he might actually be the best player we have

Oh, and the U-17 team beat Czech Republic 3-0 in the U-17 WC yesterday too. A couple really good goals from that game, nothing cheap.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
USMNT looked better than they have all tournament. Completely dominated, as they should have. Agudelo played well, sucks about Jozy, hopefully he can come back, we'd probably need him against Mexico. Kljestan shockingly had a very good game as well, can't believe I just typed that. Cherundelo solid once again and Dempsey again showing that he might actually be the best player we have

Oh, and the U-17 team beat Czech Republic 3-0 in the U-17 WC yesterday too. A couple really good goals from that game, nothing cheap.

Lichaj is turning into a star.

Losing Altidore hurts because he was having a nice tournament but I dont think we need him for Mexico as long as Bob continues the 4-5-1, which we probably will because we have to.

I watched most of the U-17 game on ESPNU. We had some blasts for the first 2 goals. That first goal from Guido was a thing of beauty. And I loved the stadium we played at yesterday, those lime green seats were pretty awesome.

So Adu comes out of nowhere and plays a significant role in the US victory. What shocked me the most is he took the corner kick, its just not something youd expect from a guy who hasnt played in a national game for something like 3 years.

That being said, Adu's skill on the ball is undeniable. When I watch him play, I just cant understand how the US doesnt have room for him. I really dislike Bradley as a coach and wish the US would try something else.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
That being said, Adu's skill on the ball is undeniable. When I watch him play, I just cant understand how the US doesnt have room for him. I really dislike Bradley as a coach and wish the US would try something else.

Adu's decision making is generally quite poor. Though, it sounds like he finally had a good club season with that Turkish 2nd division club. It's not like he was only struggling with the US. He was a journeyman in Europe. That said, skill like he showed today is a must. Midfield though is one spot the US isn't thin.

I'm watching the other semi between Mexico-Honduras. The Mexicans finally scored in OT, but both teams have missed multiple great chances. Honduras probably got robbed of a PK late in the 2nd half too.