2011 Soccer Season

Texsox

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
Yeah I misread thought it was about Miracle On Ice as its when the US won, not a game where the US lost.

So I would say this game was just as good as the Canada- USA gold medal game.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. The Canada-US game was tense the whole way and had the late equalizer when the crowd was practically counting down.

I have to say I was happier for the US-Algeria goal, but that's just because I cared more. In terms of quality of game and drama this is probably better because US-Algeria was 0-0 until the end so it's hard to say that was a great game, more just an incredible moment.

Oh, I figured you were talking about 1980 too.

I cared more. In terms of quality of game and drama this is probably better because US-Algeria was 0-0 until the end so it's hard to say that was a great game, more just an incredible moment.

All because it was 0-0 doesnt mean it wasnt a great game. There was tons of drama in the US-Algeria too. The Dempsey goal that was wrongfully called offside. Knowing that England was winning and a tie wasnt enough to move on. Algeria hitting the cross bar minutes into the match and the near misses by the US throughout the game. And a 0-0 score was a losing score at the time.

Sure the women's world cup has some entertaining aspects because its an international competition but it is really like watching college soccer or the WNBA.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
All because it was 0-0 doesnt mean it wasnt a great game. There was tons of drama in the US-Algeria too. The Dempsey goal that was wrongfully called offside. Knowing that England was winning and a tie wasnt enough to move on. Algeria hitting the cross bar minutes into the match and the near misses by the US throughout the game. And a 0-0 score was a losing score at the time.

Sure the women's world cup has some entertaining aspects because its an international competition but it is really like watching college soccer or the WNBA.

The Algeria game was pretty mediocre. The drama was all around advancing or not and had less to do with the game itself. There was certainly tons of tension and ultimately the result came, but what we saw on the field didn't stand out to me. It's memorable because of the timing of the goal. If the goal came in the 47th minute no one would remember the game. It was about a moment, not a game.

I'll defend women's soccer. It's probably the best women's sport (maybe (beach) volleyball?) that is a popular men's sport (so not including gymnastics and figure skating which are huge during the Olympics). The women are just as good technically. The biggest differences I've noticed is the lack of quality keepers and the play in the air is almost non-existent. It's less physical and a bit slower, but I'd say the physical limitations have less of an impact on how watchable it is compared to other sports. Please don't mention women's soccer in the same breath at the WNBA.

It's memorable because of the timing of the goal. If the goal came in the 47th minute no one would remember the game. It was about a moment, not a game.

Which is what yesterday's game was. It was a controversial call and a moment. If the ref doesnt call some iffy foul then yesterday's game ends up 1-0 US by a second minute own goal. If the US hadnt scored in the 122nd minute then no one is talking about this game.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
Which is what yesterday's game was. It was a controversial call and a moment. If the ref doesnt call some iffy foul then yesterday's game ends up 1-0 US by a second minute own goal. If the US hadnt scored in the 122nd minute then no one is talking about this game.

Except you just mentioned two moments and that doesn't include the decisive penalties.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
Oh, I figured you were talking about 1980 too.

That's an insult to the women's world cup. This World Cup has featured some really good soccer and has shown some good skill and it's had some great games. The WNBA on the other hand is more equivalent to watching paint dry.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
That's an insult to the women's world cup. This World Cup has featured some really good soccer and has shown some good skill and it's had some great games. The WNBA on the other hand is more equivalent to watching paint dry.

And now you've insulted watching paint dry... :lol:

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
Mexico won it's second men's 17 and under World Cup championship on Sunday, beating Uruguay 2-0, they got past France and Germany earlier in the tourney.

Kids showing the adults how it's done.

Now there was some entertaining soccer at the u17s. A lot better game than the women's world cup.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
Now there was some entertaining soccer at the u17s. A lot better game than the women's world cup.

I watched several of the U-17 games and yes there were some really exciting plays and games. I don't know about better than the WWC but still some exciting soccer. U-20 WC starts later this month, a shame we didn't qualify

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)

Don't mean to sound like a sexist but those u17 teams would easily beat any team from the women's WC tournament.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
Don't mean to sound like a sexist but those u17 teams would easily beat any team from the women's WC tournament.

That's false. The women actually train against u19 male sides all the time. The technical ability of u17s isn't refined enough to dominate national team level women. The level of play is probably similar, but drastically different in a lot of ways.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 02:05 AM)
That's false. The women actually train against u19 male sides all the time. The technical ability of u17s isn't refined enough to dominate national team level women. The level of play is probably similar, but drastically different in a lot of ways.

I could train with Derrick Rose all the time, doesn't mean I could beat him.Sorry but women's soccer in general is brutal, quality wise.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
I could train with Derrick Rose all the time, doesn't mean I could beat him.Sorry but women's soccer in general is brutal, quality wise.

Alright fine. Ignore facts that they would beat most U17 sides. Did you watch the U17 at all? Most of those kids have no touch and dumb mistakes happen all the time. They are faster and a bit stronger at that age, but 17-year-olds don't see first team club action and most aren't close to it, even at the international level.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)

LOL. The top quality women in the world could beat a teenage team of boys any day of the week. I have international experience and have seen some of the top players mens and womens in Europe and here and its complete bulls*** that women couldn't compete.

Tell me what woman's team could've stopped a 17 yr old Messi, vplease.Another example in another sport, you're gonna tell me that a WNBA player could've hung with a 17 yr old Kobe Bryant or LBJ?Yeah it's basketball, nkot soccer but my point is that at that age, men are already stronger and faster.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

LOL, bring up a totally unrelated sport like bball shows how little you understand the argument. Have you ever actually stepped on the field with national-team caliber women? I am beginning to think you dont really understand the sport that much. The strongest and fastest teams in the world do not always win the game or a tournament. World class women will never beat world class men, but they will put a hurting on high school players routinely.

Ill tell you one thing that cant be debated, Alex Morgan is easier on the eyes than any boys on the U-17 or U-19 squad.

And I think there is a little bit of self interest in this thread, in Men's soccer Mexico is a power, in Women's soccer not so much. Conversely the US is one of the best Women's teams and the Men's team still has a long way to go.

Regardless women's soccer is one of the few female sports I can tolerate.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
Tell me what woman's team could've stopped a 17 yr old Messi, vplease.Another example in another sport, you're gonna tell me that a WNBA player could've hung with a 17 yr old Kobe Bryant or LBJ?Yeah it's basketball, nkot soccer but my point is that at that age, men are already stronger and faster.

Right, because one superstar in soccer has the same influence one superstar in basketball can have.

And there were no "Messis" at the U-17's this year

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
Ill tell you one thing that cant be debated, Alex Morgan is easier on the eyes than any boys on the U-17 or U-19 squad.

And I think there is a little bit of self interest in this thread, in Men's soccer Mexico is a power, in Women's soccer not so much. Conversely the US is one of the best Women's teams and the Men's team still has a long way to go.

Regardless women's soccer is one of the few female sports I can tolerate.

Agreed, but only at this level. I doubt I could get through a women's club team match