2011 Soccer Season

Texsox

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Why not throw Edu back at a CB spot? I know they toyed with it for a bit before but I dont recall off the top of my head if it was a disaster or not.

IIRC it didn't go over too well. Of course that was also a few years ago when he had injury problems and before he started to excel at Rangers who who knows. It's worth a shot at least.

We did learn a lot about the team and that's the good thing about the tournament. You probably want to already know about your team before a relevant Gold Cup, but take what you can get. Adu is back in the mix, Bedoya is coming along as we hoped, Jones is a solid addition to the team and Lichaj looks like the future at left back.

Throw in Diskerud, Davies and Holden and you have a much deeper and probably better attack. Like you guys have said though, defense was the problem. Bocanegra is getting older and Goodson is only a decent centerback. Once Cherundolo went out the defense couldn't cope. If we can keep Timmy Chandler in the stars and stripes, there's Cherundolo's replacement in future games. There's reason for optimism, but this isn't the best USMNT we've seen recently.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
We did learn a lot about the team and that's the good thing about the tournament. You probably want to already know about your team before a relevant Gold Cup, but take what you can get. Adu is back in the mix, Bedoya is coming along as we hoped, Jones is a solid addition to the team and Lichaj looks like the future at left back.

Throw in Diskerud, Davies and Holden and you have a much deeper and probably better attack. Like you guys have said though, defense was the problem. Bocanegra is getting older and Goodson is only a decent centerback. Once Cherundolo went out the defense couldn't cope. If we can keep Timmy Chandler in the stars and stripes, there's Cherundolo's replacement in future games. There's reason for optimism, but this isn't the best USMNT we've seen recently.

Hasn't he already suited up for the USA? I know there were thoughts Bunbury might play for Canada and Agboussoumande for Togo but I thought when they played in that South Africa game last fall that locked them into the USMNT? Or is the Chandler situation similar to Jones? I haven't seen anything relating to him possibly playing for Germany but I do know his German club team was quite adamant that he not be brought over by Bradley to play in the Gold Cup

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Hasn't he already suited up for the USA? I know there were thoughts Bunbury might play for Canada and Agboussoumande for Togo but I thought when they played in that South Africa game last fall that locked them into the USMNT? Or is the Chandler situation similar to Jones? I haven't seen anything relating to him possibly playing for Germany but I do know his German club team was quite adamant that he not be brought over by Bradley to play in the Gold Cup

Friendlies don't lock players in, only official senior competitions do. For the US that is Gold Cup, World Cup qualifiers, Confed Cup and World Cup.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
This is yet further proof that selecting Qatar to host the World Cup was such a joke. They'd better not do this, it would completely bastardize the game.

Qatar World Cup may feature three 30-minute periods

The World Cup group might be the only one who is more corrupt than the IOC.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
This is yet further proof that selecting Qatar to host the World Cup was such a joke. They'd better not do this, it would completely bastardize the game.

Qatar World Cup may feature three 30-minute periods

That is be the stupidest f***ing thing I ever heard of. IMO, if they did that, they would need to change the rules for all WC qualifying matches as well. You can't have teams qualify playing two 45-min periods to play in a tournament with three 30-min periods.

Well that quarterfinal of the women's World Cup was one of the most exciting things I have ever seen. It was an absolute travesty that turned into one of the most incredible comebacks. Right up there with the gold medal hockey game and US-Algeria.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Well that quarterfinal of the women's World Cup was one of the most exciting things I have ever seen. It was an absolute travesty that turned into one of the most incredible comebacks. Right up there with the gold medal hockey game and US-Algeria.

woah, lets not get carried away.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)

It was truly incredible. Hope Solo is a major crush of mine. US did a fantastic job somehow pulling that out despite atrocious officiating. Now please beat France.

Really incredible comeback!!!

Womens Soccer is probably the only womens sport I can watch and get excited about.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
You're joking right? That game had it all. Just because it was the women doesn't mean it wasn't phenomenal.

Well youre entitled to your opinion.

While it was a good soccer match and nice comeback, I wouldnt compare it the other two.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
I just don't see what those games had that this one didn't.

Obviously because this one was played by females is the only difference.... That being said I only look back at this game if they go on and win the whole thing.... otherwise it will be forgotten.

I wasnt alive for the Miracle On Ice so I cant really compare.

But this was a pretty damn fine game, after Marta scores in overtime it really seemed like the game would end with a cruel result. I think the US played 10 on 11 for 60 minutes, it just was impressive.