2011 Soccer Season

Texsox

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL at Gattuso. What an idiot. Only 2nd to Berlusconi in Italy ATM mind you.

Saw this article, quite an interesting logic for those who want to pick a Premier League team to go for. As a West Ham fan, the Seahawks pick is interesting, although I would have gone with a more hapless team in a bigger market myself.

http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/2011...orts-franchises

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

USA names Gold Cup squad

Pretty good roster but didn't want to see Kljestan again. Spot should have gone to Torres or Diskerrud. Also Wondolowski up front was surprising. Would rather have seen Davies or Bunbury.

Winner secures spot in 2013 Confed Cup so results matter unlike in 2009. Interesting to see if Bradley decides to use Agudelo up front at all with Jozy. He generally shies away from the 2 striker set but with they could work well off each other.

Agree on Kljestan, but I don't think he's too important. I think Diskerud and Bedoya both were left off because they are in season and Bradley seems to try to avoid club conflicts as much as possible. Torres didn't have a great season so I think that's why he didn't make it. It's an in-form side, or at least relatively so. Hopefully guys like Bradley and Altidore can have a good tournament. They need it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 23, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
Adu? Really?

Keep in mind he's still only 21. There were other players I would have taken in the midfield over him but as Dan said, there might have been reasons. Freddy's had a good spell at his most recent club and it's still better to give someone like him a shot over someone like Beasley who is probably done with the MNT, at least as far as WC2014 is concerned.

I dont mind giving Adu another shot here. Let him get some minutes against Panama and Guadeloupe and see what he can do. Bradley also might be seeing this as an investment. If Adu can play well this tournament, it might get the attention of some other lower level European teams so he wont have such a hard time finding a club for next fall.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 24, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
I dont mind giving Adu another shot here. Let him get some minutes against Panama and Guadeloupe and see what he can do. Bradley also might be seeing this as an investment. If Adu can play well this tournament, it might get the attention of some other lower level European teams so he wont have such a hard time finding a club for next fall.

I think Benfica still owns his rights...they just keep loaning him out every year. He just needs to play somewhere on a consistent basis. He's young enough where he could still develop some but his time and chances are running out.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 24, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
I think Benfica still owns his rights...they just keep loaning him out every year. He just needs to play somewhere on a consistent basis. He's young enough where he could still develop some but his time and chances are running out.

They still do but they couldnt find a team to loan him out to for the longest of time this past year.

Wow, wasn't expecting to see FOX televising the Uefa champions league final. They have an hour pregame show too. Even playing the FOX football sunday music. Strange but it looks good. Going to be a great final!

QUOTE (dielac @ May 28, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Wow, wasn't expecting to see FOX televising the Uefa champions league final. They have an hour pregame show too. Even playing the FOX football sunday music. Strange but it looks good. Going to be a great final!

Fox actually had the game last year too, although I believe that was the first time they had it. Barcelona was just scary today, the score really doesn't indicate the level of domination. Even with Rooney scoring that nice goal to get the game to halftime even, it didn't feel like Manchester United had much of a shot. I understand this isn't the best Manchester United squad ever (and it wasn't the best Premier League ever this year either), but they still won their semifinal 6-1 aggregate and their league by 9 points. Yet, Barcelona appeared to be toying with them for large parts of the game today. As outstanding as Real Madrid also is, I'm rather amazed they managed to beat Barca in the Copa del Rey Final.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
The scary part is that Barcelona is basically the Spanish National Team without obviously Messi, they are gonna be even harder to beat in the next WC as long as they stay healthy, IMO.

They aren't the youngest team in the world though and three years can make a big difference on health, especially since some of them are already having issues (I'm looking at you Fernando Torres).

It's a long ways off, but Brazil and Argentina are going to be awfully difficult to beat in 2014

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
It's a long ways off, but Brazil and Argentina are going to be awfully difficult to beat in 2014

Yeah but 2014 will be here soon enough. I cant believe how its already been a year since South Africa.

Umm yeah so that was brutal. Kljestan continues to drive me crazy every time he appears for the Nats. Bradley didn't sent out a top tier lineup, but it's probably not good to receive a butt whooping right before a tournament.