JR says payroll is at 125 million

chisoxfan09

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news...ce=MLBHeadlines

By Bruce Levine

ESPNChicago.com

Archive

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox made a splash this offseason, adding free agent slugger Adam Dunn and reliever Jesse Crain and bringing back fan favorites Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski.

But White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said Saturday at SoxFest that deciding to add payroll in 2011 was a tough decision on the heels of a disappointing 2010 season on the field and in the stands.

"Last year we weren't as good as we thought we could be," Reinsdorf said. "Our attendance was down. Financially we came out of it OK, but thinking about this year, we had to make a decision for the long term -- do we try to get better, or do we view this as a rebuilding year? And that's what took us a long time to make up our minds.

"Finally, I just decided two days before the Adam Dunn signing, 'Let's go for it.' If we spend the money, the attendance will pick up. Once we committed to Dunn, we had to bring Paulie and had to bring A.J. back."

The Sox payroll has been increased almost $15 million over last year's $110 million allotment, and Reinsdorf said it was still too early to tell if the high-profile pickups will increase revenue this season.

"We've really taken a chance," Reinsdorf said. "We've really stuck our necks out. If this team bombs and we draw 2.2 million people again, we are going to lose a lot of money. We are betting that we're going to be good."

An easier call for Reinsdorf was picking up the 2012 option in manager Ozzie Guillen's contract before the start of this season.

"It was just the right time," Reinsdorf said. "We anticipate Ozzie's going to be here for a long time. Ozzie said he doesn't want to manage any place else. We knew we were going to pick up [the option] at the end of the year anyway. But we thought we might as well eliminate the uncertainty and pick it up now."

Reinsdorf said the ups and downs in Guillen's relationship with general manager Ken Williams last season come with the territory in those positions.

"There's a tension between managers and general managers because they look at things differently," Reinsdorf said. "I'll bet you that [Atlanta's management team for 20 years] John Schuerholz and Bobby Cox didn't always see eye-to-eye."

Reinsdorf offered a tongue-in-cheek response when asked if Williams-Guillen will hopefully be his last management team.

"At my age, that could happen anytime," Reinsdorf said, before turning serious. "You always want your guys to be the last ones. Almost everybody in the organization has been here 20-25 years, so I would hope this is the last tandem."

Edited by chisoxfan09

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southloopsox @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
It's not that easy to say fans need to just show up early. With school still in that eliminates a huge weekday crowd . And then the economics of going to a game really hurt the chances of people going to multiple games a homestand.

Well then people need to get off their lazy butts and get 2nd jobs.

QUOTE (southloopsox @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
It's not that easy to say fans need to just show up early. With school still in that eliminates a huge weekday crowd . And then the economics of going to a game really hurt the chances of people going to multiple games a homestand.

It is sure easy for people to say the Sox need to spend to get them to go to games...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
It is sure easy for people to say the Sox need to spend to get them to go to games...

You got that right. I went to two games last year. It's a lot different when you're living on your own as compared to living with your parents. I just don't have the cash. And I work close to 40 hours a week.

No, now it's the players turn. If they do their part, then it's time for the fans to show up.

I know there are 2 sides to this coin, but is it fair for JR to say he has put his neck out to pay for a competitive team when we know that is what it takes nowadays?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
If that's how you want to define it, be my guest, I don't have a problem with it.

I just counted my ticket stubs that I have saved over the last 7-8 years. I have 228 for the White Sox. I'm over going to games just for the hell of it. If they play like they did in April and May of last season, they don't deserve my money. If they come out strong, I'm more than happy to give the organization my money. More than happy.

Call it whatever you want. I'm fine with it.

Fair enough. I don't need the Sox to start out 25-10 before I get up off my ass and go to the park if I can afford it.

As a college student I just cant afford to go to many games, along with the fact I work over 40 hours a week in the summer and U.S. Cellular Field isn't really an easy place to get to from where I live/work, so that makes it tough. I go when I can, but I always watch the games on TV.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
In other words, be a bandwagoner?

No, but don't be sheep. We laugh at Cubs fans for filling their dump year after year. April and May games are hard for the Sox. The weather is usually a huge question mark, kids are in school but history has shown they draw better in those months if they are playing well. I don't see why 2011 would be different. Unless they win a WS, most of those games aren't going to be near sellouts, but every bit helps.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
That's absurd. It's on the team to win early. The fans will show up at the beginning of the season no matter what, as they always do. If you want them to continue to come, you better win.

Actually they really don't, other than Opening Day. In fact April games that are not OD are usually the worst attendance of the year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
Actually they really don't, other than Opening Day. In fact April games that are not OD are usually the worst attendance of the year.

Hm, I thought they came out well for at least the first week or two. Either way, it's still on the team to get the fans out there.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
Hm, I thought they came out well for at least the first week or two. Either way, it's still on the team to get the fans out there.

I'm just going from experience being a season ticket holder, and selling off my extra tickets. Tickets after the Opening Series, up until late May, are usually a hard sell.