*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

160 would be the lowest weight you could be at 6'6" and be considered healthy. That's not super weird. I mean, you'd look like Chris Sale, but you wouldn't be unhealthy. I don't think BMI is really off in that regard, if the healthy range is 160-240. just depends on your goals.

also, you's gonna have to elaborate a bit. why does P90X make you feel like an idiot?

EDIT: wtf? split post? weird.

Edited by Reddy

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 6, 2012 -> 08:13 PM)
160 would be the lowest weight you could be at 6'6" and be considered healthy. That's not super weird. I mean, you'd look like Chris Sale, but you wouldn't be unhealthy. I don't think BMI is really off in that regard, if the healthy range is 160-240. just depends on your goals.

also, you's gonna have to elaborate a bit. why does P90X make you feel like an idiot?

EDIT: wtf? split post? weird.

It reminds me of those early morning beach-workout videos I'd see on ESPN 2 back in the day. I've never been a fan of the video workout tapes.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 6, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
It reminds me of those early morning beach-workout videos I'd see on ESPN 2 back in the day. I've never been a fan of the video workout tapes.

eh, fair enough. but there's gotta be a reason they work, right? :P

My roommate is doing Insanity and he's over halfway through, and although it's been great for him thus far, he really has to be conscious who is in the apartment when he does it since the only area big enough is in our common area.

I can see why video led workouts are considered strange.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 6, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
My roommate is doing Insanity and he's over halfway through, and although it's been great for him thus far, he really has to be conscious who is in the apartment when he does it since the only area big enough is in our common area.

I can see why video led workouts are considered strange.

meh. i think it's kinda silly that people have that view. if it works for people, it aint silly. if it has a better success rate than having a gym membership, it aint silly. :P but that's just me.

i mean, i lift weights, i do pushups, i do pullups... it's just that i do it in my apartment. much more convenient.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 6, 2012 -> 10:57 PM)
meh. i think it's kinda silly that people have that view. if it works for people, it aint silly. if it has a better success rate than having a gym membership, it aint silly. :P but that's just me.

i mean, i lift weights, i do pushups, i do pullups... it's just that i do it in my apartment. much more convenient.

So do I. Doesn't mean I have to watch a video to do it. Doesn't mean I have to make myself feel like awkward to have success. It almost feels belittling. As if there was no possible way to get fit without the video. As if I would be clueless working out without it.

When I think of video workouts, I think of middle-aged fat women, watching Jillian Michaels or Richard Simmons, walking in place in their living room.

And I had a similar situation as bigruss when I was at school. I started doing P90X in my apartment and the only place big enough was in the common area/living room. When my roommates would come down, I got a ton of s*** about it. I didn't stop me from working out, but it definitely bugged me. And I had to lock the front and back doors so randoms wouldn't walk in and see me since we had people coming in and out of the apartment all the time.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 6, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
So do I. Doesn't mean I have to watch a video to do it. Doesn't mean I have to make myself feel like awkward to have success. It almost feels belittling. As if there was no possible way to get fit without the video. As if I would be clueless working out without it.

When I think of video workouts, I think of middle-aged fat women, watching Jillian Michaels or Richard Simmons, walking in place in their living room.

And I had a similar situation as bigruss when I was at school. I started doing P90X in my apartment and the only place big enough was in the common area/living room. When my roommates would come down, I got a ton of s*** about it. I didn't stop me from working out, but it definitely bugged me. And I had to lock the front and back doors so randoms wouldn't walk in and see me since we had people coming in and out of the apartment all the time.

that might be a you problem and not a home video workout problem...

obviously there are other ways to get in shape. this is just the easiest and least time-consuming for me, and i have fun doing it. P90X is the only workout program i've ever stuck with, and my results have been awesome.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 6, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
that might be a you problem and not a home video workout problem...

obviously there are other ways to get in shape. this is just the easiest and least time-consuming for me, and i have fun doing it. P90X is the only workout program i've ever stuck with, and my results have been awesome.

It's absolutely a "me" problem, I'm not saying how I feel about them is representative of how the rest of the world does. Though if you're saying I have self-confidence issues or something, that's a totally different story, and you obviously know nothing about that. I'd rather not get grief from my friends for doing imaginary jump roping in my living room.

Anywho, that's just my perspective. I can't say I agree with the time consuming part. I can get a great workout in in half the time it takes me to get through a P90X video.

It's not like I hate the videos. I mix them into my workout routine on occasion for cardio and lower body stuff. And I do the Ab Ripper X routine almost daily. The whole "follow this program and watch these videos everyday" thing just isn't my thing.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 6, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
for the record - i'm not knocking what you do. if it works for you then that's all that friggin matters. i'm just saying that video workouts have evolved since the 80s.

I know they have, but that's just my perspective on it. There is no right or wrong. Obviously you're very passionate about it (especially judging by all the arguments you've had recently about "coaching" or whatever), and if it works for you, that's great. But you asked for feedback, I'm giving it to you. And obviously I'm not alone in that regard.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 6, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
It's absolutely a "me" problem, I'm not saying how I feel about them is representative of how the rest of the world does. Though if you're saying I have self-confidence issues or something, that's a totally different story, and you obviously know nothing about that. I'd rather not get grief from my friends for doing imaginary jump roping in my living room.

Anywho, that's just my perspective. I can't say I agree with the time consuming part. I can get a great workout in in half the time it takes me to get through a P90X video.

It's not like I hate the videos. I mix them into my workout routine on occasion for cardio and lower body stuff. And I do the Ab Ripper X routine almost daily. The whole "follow this program and watch these videos everyday" thing just isn't my thing.

I know they have, but that's just my perspective on it. There is no right or wrong. Obviously you're very passionate about it (especially judging by all the arguments you've had recently about "coaching" or whatever), and if it works for you, that's great. But you asked for feedback, I'm giving it to you. And obviously I'm not alone in that regard.

I agree with you on how these home video workouts make me feel. I know because I will not do them unless I'm alone. After the first few times you do them, it's easier to just mute, however, for people that aren't quite sure of what they're doing yet, you have to listen to their super cheese ball non-stop chatter all the time...and frankly, it's embarrassing.

Today, I just go to an actual gym for weights/other...and I have a treadmill at home I use when it's raining or cold out for cardio. I've done the home workouts, and while definitely hard, they don't really give me what I'm looking for in a workout.

As for P90X, or Insanity, or some random 1980's Richard Simmons video, if that's all a person has the time or resources to do, they should do it and not worry about what others think...it's better than the alternative of doing nothing.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 07:07 AM)
I agree with you on how these home video workouts make me feel. I know because I will not do them unless I'm alone. After the first few times you do them, it's easier to just mute, however, for people that aren't quite sure of what they're doing yet, you have to listen to their super cheese ball non-stop chatter all the time...and frankly, it's embarrassing.

Today, I just go to an actual gym for weights/other...and I have a treadmill at home I use when it's raining or cold out for cardio. I've done the home workouts, and while definitely hard, they don't really give me what I'm looking for in a workout.

As for P90X, or Insanity, or some random 1980's Richard Simmons video, if that's all a person has the time or resources to do, they should do it and not worry about what others think...it's better than the alternative of doing nothing.

Ok, I could not disagree with you guys more on this one...one would think being able to workout in the privacy of one's own home would be much more comfortable than going to a large stinky sweaty dirty place full of douchebags to do the same. Do you guys ever look around the gyms your at? Sure, about 30% of the people seem to know what they are doing...30% clearly have no clue what they are doing, and 40 % look like they "kinda" have an idea what they think they maybe should be doing. Avoiding that pathetic mess is reason enough for me alone.

As for following along with the videos...I don't understand the embarrassment but I live alone and don't have to deal with anyone interrupting or laughing at me...although my dogs do try and join along once in awhile.

All in all it's about whatever you're most comfortable with to accomplish your goals.

I think it's probably an issue of immaturity in the college setting that makes it a bit embarrassing.

And anyone that chooses to make fun of you, you can laugh back at them when you bring back girls from the bars that they don't have a chance with...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Ok, I could not disagree with you guys more on this one...one would think being able to workout in the privacy of one's own home would be much more comfortable than going to a large stinky sweaty dirty place full of douchebags to do the same. Do you guys ever look around the gyms your at? Sure, about 30% of the people seem to know what they are doing...30% clearly have no clue what they are doing, and 40 % look like they "kinda" have an idea what they think they maybe should be doing. Avoiding that pathetic mess is reason enough for me alone.

As for following along with the videos...I don't understand the embarrassment but I live alone and don't have to deal with anyone interrupting or laughing at me...although my dogs do try and join along once in awhile.

All in all it's about whatever you're most comfortable with to accomplish your goals.

I think it's probably an issue of immaturity in the college setting that makes it a bit embarrassing.

And anyone that chooses to make fun of you, you can laugh back at them when you bring back girls from the bars that they don't have a chance with...

I never said anything about working out in the privacy of your own home "not being comfortable". So, I'm not exactly sure how you're disagreeing with me on something that I never said. On a related note, I think "comfort" is actually an issue when it comes to working out. The home environment is that of comfort, which is not conducive to a good workout, at least, not in my opinion.

Also, I'd actually say a majority of people in gyms don't know what they're doing...but I'm not there for them, and their lack of knowledge has no baring on me. Also, there are a lot of very nice gyms out there that are the exact opposite of what you described. The gym I go too, for example, is cleaner than most peoples houses on their BEST day right after they cleaned it. :P

Last, I'm 36, I don't go to clubs/bars to pick up girls...I don't really even go to clubs/bars anymore...and have no interest in those types of girls anyway. Also of note, girls that can get "picked up" at bars are girls almost anyone has a chance with...and you don't need a good body to do it. Money works even better.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)

what up brotha - totally agree with all of this.

Y2HH, P90X gets and has gotten me a BETTER workout than any I've ever done at a gym. Seriously? better than nothing? P90X is straight up HARD, and it focuses on absolutely EVERY AREA OF YOUR BODY.

If I may, what DO you look for in a workout regimen if not that?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
I never said anything about working out in the privacy of your own home "not being comfortable". So, I'm not exactly sure how you're disagreeing with me on something that I never said. On a related note, I think "comfort" is actually an issue when it comes to working out. The home environment is that of comfort, which is not conducive to a good workout, at least, not in my opinion.

Also, I'd actually say a majority of people in gyms don't know what they're doing...but I'm not there for them, and their lack of knowledge has no baring on me. Also, there are a lot of very nice gyms out there that are the exact opposite of what you described. The gym I go too, for example, is cleaner than most peoples houses on their BEST day right after they cleaned it. :P

Last, I'm 36, I don't go to clubs/bars to pick up girls...I don't really even go to clubs/bars anymore...and have no interest in those types of girls anyway. Also of note, girls that can get "picked up" at bars are girls almost anyone has a chance with...and you don't need a good body to do it. Money works even better.

Ok, notice I said you "guys." You were not the only one I was addressing; actually most of the things I said were meant for the other poster.

Secondly, do you have to be so incredibly abrasive and condescending every time someone disagrees with you?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Ok, notice I said you "guys." You were not the only one I was addressing; actually most of the things I said were meant for the other poster.

Secondly, do you have to be so incredibly abrasive and condescending every time someone disagrees with you?

the sad thing is i was about to be super abrasive back, but i cleaned it up... maybe i shouldn't have. :P

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)

I don't see anything I said as being any more abrasive than you.

I was merely expressing an opinion, to which you replied directly to me and said you disagree...but then highlighted how you disagreed with something I never said.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
the sad thing is i was about to be super abrasive back, but i cleaned it up... maybe i shouldn't have. :P

Abrasive about what? What did I say to anyone other than the guy who replied directly to my post?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
I don't see anything I said as being any more abrasive than you.

I was merely expressing an opinion, to which you replied directly to me and said you disagree...but then highlighted how you disagreed with something I never said.

I replied to your post because it was the latest in a series of posts arguing one position...I tried to make it clear that I was taking the other position and not just disagreeing with you by stating "you guys."

Next time I will remember to never reply to your post unless I am addressing it exclusively.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
what up brotha - totally agree with all of this.

Y2HH, P90X gets and has gotten me a BETTER workout than any I've ever done at a gym. Seriously? better than nothing? P90X is straight up HARD, and it focuses on absolutely EVERY AREA OF YOUR BODY.

If I may, what DO you look for in a workout regimen if not that?

I find P90X to be more cardio centric...even in it's targeted workouts such as arms or legs, it's more of a cardio/endurance workout versus a size/strength workout.

Which is fine...I'm not telling people not to do it, I absolutely recommend it to people that have goals of weight loss and exercise in mind. But for my current goals, which are muscle size and definition, P90X cannot match the workouts I perform in the gym.

P90X *IS* straight up hard, I've done it. It just doesn't coincide with my current goals. I don't see why that's not okay?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
I replied to your post because it was the latest in a series of posts arguing one position...I tried to make it clear that I was taking the other position and not just disagreeing with you by stating "you guys."

Next time I will remember to never reply to your post unless I am addressing it exclusively.

Sorry, I missed that, and I wasn't trying to be purposefully abrasive...but when I get someone saying something like, "well I can pick up chix at the bar!", it's kind of like...oh ok...so this is the kind of conversation we're having now. :P

And I wasn't really arguing a "position", I merely started by saying I find these home workouts to be somewhat embarrassing in that I won't do them in front of other people.

I didn't say they were bad or people shouldn't do them.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
I find P90X to be more cardio centric...even in it's targeted workouts such as arms or legs, it's more of a cardio/endurance workout versus a size/strength workout.

Which is fine...I'm not telling people not to do it, I absolutely recommend it to people that have goals of weight loss and exercise in mind. But for my current goals, which are muscle size and definition, P90X cannot match the workouts I perform in the gym.

P90X *IS* straight up hard, I've done it. It just doesn't coincide with my current goals. I don't see why that's not okay?

i didn't say it's not ok!

what's silly is you and soxfan ripping on it because you feel "embarassed" doing it. like i said before, that's not a problem with the videos...

Edited by Reddy

also as far as being cardio centric... did you have weights when you did it or only bands? that makes a huge, huge difference. and I do throw in extra resistance workouts like i mentioned a few days back - but as a program it is GREAT for leaning you out and shredding you up. My biceps and pecs are all bigger having done P90X. You just have to max out your weight at 7-8 reps and take longer breaks and you'll get size.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
i didn't say it's not ok!

what's silly is you and soxfan ripping on it because you feel "embarassed" doing it. like i said before, that's not a problem with the videos...

I'm not "ripping on it" because I feel embarrassed by it...I'm really not ripping on it at all. I think that's the source of my confusion here...you guys feel I'm ripping on it, and I'm not.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
I'm not "ripping on it" because I feel embarrassed by it...I'm really not ripping on it at all. I think that's the source of my confusion here...you guys feel I'm ripping on it, and I'm not.

ok i'm sorry. what's silly is you and soxfan saying you feel "embarassed" to do it. who cares what other people think? If they think less of you for getting in shape and living a healthy life... um... well... then f*** em.

there. no ripping.

Edited by Reddy