*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)
I started dating my GF in July. Since then, I've lost 20 pounds of muscle. Went from 211 to 191.5. So disappointing to see all that hard work go down the drain. Getting back into it the last couple weeks though. I've been eating and training like a mad man.

Sustained a neck injury a few months ago resulting in a bulging disc/spinal issue which left me unable to do anything other than cardio for the last three months was hard to swallow. While I know I can get back to where I was quite easily, it's probably high time I start re-evaluating the stage of life I'm entering and start lifting less and doing more of other forms of working out in it's place.

I'm not in my 20's anymore. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to revive this thread because Soxtalk is becoming fat and lazy. ;)

Work out today was pretty brutal:

Warm up of a half mile run with 20 reps of jump roping every 10th of a mile.

6 sets of 6 reps of 105 lb thrusters.

And then one giant circuit of 25 pull ups, 50 push ups, 50 dead lifts of 135, 50 windshield wipers, 50 two foot box jumps, 50 one arm ground to overheads with a 20 lb dumbell and then finish up with 25 pull ups. And you do that as quick as possible.

I'm pretty beat up.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
I'm going to revive this thread because Soxtalk is becoming fat and lazy. ;)

Work out today was pretty brutal:

Warm up of a half mile run with 20 reps of jump roping every 10th of a mile.

6 sets of 6 reps of 105 lb thrusters.

And then one giant circuit of 25 pull ups, 50 push ups, 50 dead lifts of 135, 50 windshield wipers, 50 two foot box jumps, 50 one arm ground to overheads with a 20 lb dumbell and then finish up with 25 pull ups. And you do that as quick as possible.

I'm pretty beat up.

Wow! Row, what kind of shape are you in? Height/Weight?

I've been at P90X2 for about 6 weeks now, pretty pleased with my current status. Could certainly bulk up a bit more but my goal in just staying fit, lean/toned. I'm 5'11" about 167.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
Wow! Row, what kind of shape are you in? Height/Weight?

I've been at P90X2 for about 6 weeks now, pretty pleased with my current status. Could certainly bulk up a bit more but my goal in just staying fit, lean/toned. I'm 5'11" about 167.

6'2, 180ish. I'm in good shape but definitely not where I want to be but I'll get there. I obviously had to take breaks during that circuit, it's not like I could do it all the way through, it was pretty demanding.

I picked up working with a trainer once a week(I get 12 free sessions since I do work at a gym) so it's really helped with stuff like this and just my cardio in general. I don't want to be huge either but I do need to bulk up a bit and my main goal is always just going to be improved athleticism.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 26, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
6'2, 180ish. I'm in good shape but definitely not where I want to be but I'll get there. I obviously had to take breaks during that circuit, it's not like I could do it all the way through, it was pretty demanding.

I picked up working with a trainer once a week(I get 12 free sessions since I do work at a gym) so it's really helped with stuff like this and just my cardio in general. I don't want to be huge either but I do need to bulk up a bit and my main goal is always just going to be improved athleticism.

Did you ever do P902? I've found that it really helped because of all the balancing and agility work in that particular program.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
Did you ever do P902? I've found that it really helped because of all the balancing and agility work in that particular program.

I didn't. It's something I'd definitely be interested in doing but with working at a gym and basically being there all the time it doesn't make a ton of sense for me at the moment. More agility work than the first?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
Anyone use a fitness tracker? The wifey and I are looking at the Fit Bit Charge HR. Neither of us are working out a ton, but it would be nice to know how much we are walking and moving around during the day.

My wife loves hers. She particularly likes it for tracking steps and tracking sleep.

Workout related, I had been rounding into pretty good shape - looking to run a half marathon in May in sub 1:45 and was feeling really good about workouts, etc. But I've had my ass kicked by the flu for the past week. No working out for the past week and I know my fitness levels will have taken massive leaps backwards in the meantime. Very, very frustrated.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
I didn't. It's something I'd definitely be interested in doing but with working at a gym and basically being there all the time it doesn't make a ton of sense for me at the moment. More agility work than the first?

Yeah, a ton more.

IMHO, it is by far the best of the P90X series.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
My wife loves hers. She particularly likes it for tracking steps and tracking sleep.

Workout related, I had been rounding into pretty good shape - looking to run a half marathon in May in sub 1:45 and was feeling really good about workouts, etc. But I've had my ass kicked by the flu for the past week. No working out for the past week and I know my fitness levels will have taken massive leaps backwards in the meantime. Very, very frustrated.

Just get back at it when you feel better, you'll be fine. And I'm always impressed by anyone that can run a half or full marathon so that's awesome, man!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
Yeah, a ton more.

IMHO, it is by far the best of the P90X series.

I'll check it out, I can definitely add some workouts from there in on my days off from work.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 27, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
Anyone use a fitness tracker? The wifey and I are looking at the Fit Bit Charge HR. Neither of us are working out a ton, but it would be nice to know how much we are walking and moving around during the day.

I've experimented with them, so have a few people I know...but they're mostly "meh" at the moment.

I have a very hard time trusting these types of devices "tracking sleep", when most of them can barely track heart rate, let alone steps with any semblance of accuracy. These devices are in their infancy, and IMO are downright terrible at the moment. That new Microsoft band can barely track heart rate with any sort of accuracy over a long period of time (or even a short period of time depending on who's wearing it).

Edited by Y2HH

Yeah I've been waiting for the heart monitor ones to really evolve. Right now I alresdy wear a monitor when I work out and it's valuable for me to make sure I'm in the zone. I would like that flexibility on my wrist for biking swimming etc.

Edited by RockRaines

So we got a pair of the Fitbit Charge HR's this weekend. It's pretty cool to have that information readily available. We know it's not 100% accurate, but we don't do any high intensity workouts, which seems to be the area where the heart rate monitoring stops being accurate. It's fine for walks/runs/bike rides...any activity where you're slowly upping your heart rate.

It's nice that it syncs with myfitnesspal too, although the integration isn't exactly smooth. When it syncs it's great, but sometimes it decides it doesn't want to until later in the day.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
So we got a pair of the Fitbit Charge HR's this weekend. It's pretty cool to have that information readily available. We know it's not 100% accurate, but we don't do any high intensity workouts, which seems to be the area where the heart rate monitoring stops being accurate. It's fine for walks/runs/bike rides...any activity where you're slowly upping your heart rate.

It's nice that it syncs with myfitnesspal too, although the integration isn't exactly smooth. When it syncs it's great, but sometimes it decides it doesn't want to until later in the day.

So I've never really understood this...and I know it's because I am ignorant on the subject...but, why is someone concerned about heart rate for lower intensity workouts?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
So I've never really understood this...and I know it's because I am ignorant on the subject...but, why is someone concerned about heart rate for lower intensity workouts?

Mostly to figure out the actual number of calories burned during an exercise, not some guesstimate based on a description of the activity and the amount of time you do it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
Mostly to figure out the actual number of calories burned during an exercise, not some guesstimate based on a description of the activity and the amount of time you do it.

Is that really even relevant still?

Aren't scientists determining that workouts are also causing calorie burn well after workouts are over, even throughout the entire day?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)

People like to see results, and with such data software can be used to build graphs, etc...which show progress over time.

I don't personally use any of it, but if its what a person needs to push themselves or to continue exercising to some degree, I'm all for it.

There is so much bad information out there in this "health industry" that it's hard to wade through it all, or even talk to people about it. You can tell them product XYZ does absolutely nothing, and they won't believe you despite the long term science showing what works and what doesn't work (most of it works for nothing more than draining your bank account). They'd sooner believe an unregulated supplement industry because of the lies they print on their labels, which they then absolve themselves of by the fine print you'll find on every single one of those labels that none of those claims are backed by the FDA, or any sort of actual non-biased science. It's an unregulated multi-billion dollar business...that alone should make a person skeptical of any supplement they take, but it doesn't...most don't bother questioning any of it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
Is that really even relevant still?

Aren't scientists determining that workouts are also causing calorie burn well after workouts are over, even throughout the entire day?

Yeah, it's useful for people like my wife and I. We're on a diet, trying to watch our calorie intake. We can look at the FitBit dashboard and see that our 2 mile walk burned 160 calories. That's another 160 calories we have in our "bank" to use that day towards our total calorie goal. It's not necessary by any means. But the HR tracking is a slightly more accurate picture of the calorie burn during an exercise, so for an extra 20 bucks on the model we got, we thought, why not?

And yes, the more muscle you have the more your body burns calories at rest. Any of that extra burn is just gravy on the top for our diets.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
People like to see results, and with such data software can be used to build graphs, etc...which show progress over time.

I don't personally use any of it, but if its what a person needs to push themselves or to continue exercising to some degree, I'm all for it.

There is so much bad information out there in this "health industry" that it's hard to wade through it all, or even talk to people about it. You can tell them product XYZ does absolutely nothing, and they won't believe you despite the long term science showing what works and what doesn't work (most of it works for nothing more than draining your bank account). They'd sooner believe an unregulated supplement industry because of the lies they print on their labels, which they then absolve themselves of by the fine print you'll find on every single one of those labels that none of those claims are backed by the FDA, or any sort of actual non-biased science. It's an unregulated multi-billion dollar business...that alone should make a person skeptical of any supplement they take, but it doesn't...most don't bother questioning any of it.

A lot of weight loss, getting fit and getting healthy is an internal mental war. You need motivation. You need to see some kind of result. Seeing the data, for me, helps to create that picture in my mind of what needs to happen to lose weight or continue to lose weight.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
A lot of weight loss, getting fit and getting healthy is an internal mental war. You need motivation. You need to see some kind of result. Seeing the data, for me, helps to create that picture in my mind of what needs to happen to lose weight or continue to lose weight.

I've slowly been getting back into it again...after sustaining a neck injury about 6 months ago (bulging disc), I was shelved from working out for quite a few months...it's crazy how quickly you'll put weight back on (not good weight), and I can easily tell because my pants are all getting tight again.

I need to re-lose about an inch off my waist, I'm probably back at 31.5" or so after being down to 29.5 late last year.

And aside from working out, 90% of it's diet, diet, and more diet...and not what I call a deprivation diet, but a diet where you simply eat good food, vs junk...I've been eating a bit too much junk combined with not working out (when I worked out I was able to eat whatever I wanted), and that catches up to you quickly. Now that spring is coming back, it'll be much easier to get back into this now...I'm a known winter hibernator, and combining that with the injury, it was a convergence of bad.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 3, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
I've been putting protein powder in my hot oat bran for breakfast to get protein in the morning, but I read that heat can decrease the quality of whey. Anybody know anything about this? Am I killing the protein?

It doesn't do anything. It can start breaking down chemical bonds, but it's not killing the protein, your body would break down those chemical bonds anyway through digestion.

You can cook meat until it's burned, eat it and still get protein. ;) So, heating up some powder isn't going to do much.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 4, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
It doesn't do anything. It can start breaking down chemical bonds, but it's not killing the protein, your body would break down those chemical bonds anyway through digestion.

You can cook meat until it's burned, eat it and still get protein. ;) So, heating up some powder isn't going to do much.

Right on, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question/dilemma...

I work out regularly, typical Chest/Back/Legs/Shoulders/Arms split.

An opportunity presented itself and I might be joining a soccer indoor team, that plays every Thursday. I've played a ton when I was a kid and I'd like to get back into it. How would I modify my workout split so my legs are not completely dead come game time?