*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
Well I pulled the trigger and my Peloton arrived this morning and is all setup. Very solid, quiet bike. Interface and monitor seems very intuitive.

Looking forward to taking my first class tonight or tomorrow morning.

Please post what you think of it. I'm intrigued by the peloton for winter training...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
Please post what you think of it. I'm intrigued by the peloton for winter training...

Took my first class this afternoon. First spin class ever, actually. Was an on-demand class (recorded earlier), but everything went perfectly. Streamed without any skips or blips.

This was an advanced beginners class, as I am new to spinning, but well-versed in interval/circuit training, in fairly decent shape, etc. Didn't want it to be too easy.

The bike itself is awesome. Incredibly well-built. Absolutely silent. I could tell it was solid and I was safe at all times.

The class was great. As it was a beginners class, the gal sort of eased into some of the terminology, but because it was somewhat advanced, I felt like I got a great workout. The bike measures and displays on the monitor your cadence, resistance, output, calories burned, heart rate, etc. Everything you need to know and see to follow along with the instructor.

I'll keep posting as I take more classes. Hoping to build myself up to where I am comfortable joining a live class in a week or so.

Second ride in the books. Took another 30 minute advanced beginner class. Different instructor. Different class. I've enjoyed both of instructors and classes thus far. Bike has performed perfectly in all facets.

I can tell I'm going to enjoy this already. Not only is it an outstanding workout, but because your output is calculated throughout the entire duration of the class, there is a way to measure yourself against other riders. In real time, a leaderboard is consistently showing your placement against all other riders who have taken the class. I've finished in the top 15% or so in both of my first classes, which is a very motivating factor for me.

I've had a little trouble getting the heart rate monitor to work. I'm going to do some digging this evening and see if I can get it figured out.

I'll keep reporting back.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
Well I pulled the trigger and my Peloton arrived this morning and is all setup. Very solid, quiet bike. Interface and monitor seems very intuitive.

Looking forward to taking my first class tonight or tomorrow morning.

Which bike did you get?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 05:45 PM)
5 rides in...totally addicted. What an awesome workout.

Good to hear. Biking has always been super difficult for me for whatever reason. I'm in pretty good cardio shape(I can run forever) but spinning will kill me right away.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 2, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Good to hear. Biking has always been super difficult for me for whatever reason. I'm in pretty good cardio shape(I can run forever) but spinning will kill me right away.

Yeah, I mean I am finding my leg strength is my biggest weakness. I can keep up with the pace, but sometimes I struggle to stay in the saddle when the resistance levels increase to a certain level.

I can't run for s*** unless I am playing some sort of sport.

The instructors are pretty hot too.

So interestingly I took a day off from the bike after 6 days on it. Played basketball instead. By far the most energy I have had in months.

So we know this...the bike is helping the lung capacity...just need to continue working on the leg strength.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
Eight rides in. Setting or pushing new output thresholds with each ride. Building up leg strength. Am out of the beginner rides and into the regular rides now. Still finishing in the top 20% or so.

This thing is very addicting, folks.

When do we see you in the Tour de France? ;)

I'm thinking of upgrading gyms. The one I go to now is cheap and a pain to go to after I get off work and walk the dog, so I only go on weekends, which feels pointless.

This other big one if right outside my subdivision and I know I would go 4 or 5 times a day, but maybe a tad expensive.

How much does everyone pay for their memberships? I'm thinking I would be willing to pay $80 a month but this place maybe higher.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
I'm thinking of upgrading gyms. The one I go to now is cheap and a pain to go to after I get off work and walk the dog, so I only go on weekends, which feels pointless.

This other big one if right outside my subdivision and I know I would go 4 or 5 times a day, but maybe a tad expensive.

How much does everyone pay for their memberships? I'm thinking I would be willing to pay $80 a month but this place maybe higher.

I just go to the local fitness center that's down the block for $25 a month. The workout equipment is a little lacking but there is a indoor track, pool, basketball, racquetball so that makes up for it.

They just opened one of those huge FFC gyms nearby. It looks impressive, but I think it's almost $70/month, with a $400 enrollment fee, and an annual fee. Hard to justify the massive jump in price if I probably don't need the extra amenities.

The one I am looking at has a Jan deal with initiation fee of $20.17. I'm going to go check it out this week.

The one I go to now is $25 and has great cardio equipment but the weight room is small and the machine floor has some stuff but not enough to accommodate heavy traffic.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
I just go to the local fitness center that's down the block for $25 a month. The workout equipment is a little lacking but there is a indoor track, pool, basketball, racquetball so that makes up for it.

They just opened one of those huge FFC gyms nearby. It looks impressive, but I think it's almost $70/month, with a $400 enrollment fee, and an annual fee. Hard to justify the massive jump in price if I probably don't need the extra amenities.

I'm in FFC. They have one in the building where I work, and a couple within 4 blocks of my home. I can use any one of their gyms and it's $78 a month through work, and my company contributes $35 a month if you make 8 visits. So it's pretty cheap. They keep the place really clean.

I used to belong to Equinox at 900 N. Michigan. It was about $120 a month. Since I don't take many classes, the equipment and pool are about the same at FFC, so it makes more sense doing what I am doing. I do miss the many celebrity sightings at Equinox though. That was kind of fun.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)

I dont want to tell you how much I pay, because its stupid. I am a member at the local FFC with my wife and then also at OrangeTheory. I've only been to FFC twice maybe as I spend almost all my time at OTF. I honestly kept the FFC for awhile because I thought I'd want to supplement with weights and also swim but OTF is literally my favorite thing ever.

I'd say pay what you think you would invest in yourself. If it adds up to a few more bucks a day and you will actually go, its worth it.

We have a small gym at my new work, so I use that.

On days I'm home, I'll do a DDP Yoga or a P90X3 workout.

I'm coming off my lazy season (until recently I hadn't worked out from the beginning of November till around mid December). I've decided I need get back into shape, so I flipped the switch. I know what kind of dedication it takes and being in shape for me (and for most) is like 60% diet 40% exercise...

So I'm back on the bandwagon...I need to shed the 6 pounds I've put on since getting lazy.