*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 07:39 AM)
I've, uh, acquired some of their stuff through absolutely 100% legal means. My wife really loved T25 and it got her into the best shape in her life. Beast Body helped me put on 12 pounds (I've always had a Chris Sale-like physique)

My favorite has always been P90X2, particularly the Core workout and the Total Body workout...I go back to these quite often...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
My favorite has always been P90X2, particularly the Core workout and the Total Body workout...I go back to these quite often...

All of the X2's were notoriously long and boring to me...I prefer X1 or X3 by far.

Also, I can only take so much of Tony Horton. :|

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
All of the X2's were notoriously long and boring to me...I prefer X1 or X3 by far.

Also, I can only take so much of Tony Horton. :|

The ones i mentioned aren't any longer than P90X...but there definitely are some longer ones in that set.

I don't like X3 at all...it feels rushed to me.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
I've done pretty much all of them -- and they're great workouts, but they can be a bit rough on the body long term. I could never stick with any beach body routine for the long haul because they get monotonous really quickly.

I've settled on mixing it up, simply to keep things interesting.

I'll do walking aerobic exercises at home (these are my wife's videos, but they work).

I'll do Yoga -- I tend to do the P90X3 Yoga or DDP Yoga.

I'll lift weights or do resistance bands.

I'll do cardio at my work gym while I watch a movie on my phone.

I've found a mix of these things keeps things from getting boring, and it works long term.

Agreed. I mix it up with my cycling regimen, a bit of running, and yoga.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 11:27 PM)
What are you eating every day for B/L/D?

Breakfast- Whole wheat bagel with low fat Cream cheese and two fried eggs

Lunch - usually a chopped kale and Brussels sprouts Salad with cherry tomatoes and like 8oz of grilled chicken. Poppy-seed or a vinaigrette dressing

Dinner - 3 egg omelet with cheddar cheese and grilled chicken

Snacks during the day - Greek yogurt, almonds, nature valley bar

Snack after dinner - Sliced honey crisp apple with peanut butter

Ate absolutely garbage the past 24 hours, mostly due to the girl I stayed with last night wanting to make "Oreo rice krispie treats", which albeit kind of amazing, I'm sure ridiculously unhealthy.

So despite being absolutely exhausted tonight from a long day with her, I got my ass to the gym and pumped out 6 miles, about 75 bicep curls at slightly more weight than usual, and like 75 of some type of tricep machine that I don't know the name of. Hopefully those miles forgave 2 of the rice krispie treats, ugh.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 12:08 AM)
Weighed in at 240.8 on Saturday. Only down 3 since I started my gym membership, but I was also had a weigh in at 247 last week because of all the s*** food from my birthday week.

Monitor calories and increase deficit. If I was you, I wouldn't even count whatever calories I burned at the gym against the deficit. If you start eating at a 500-700 calories deficit, you'll probably drop 3-5 pounds in the first week, most of which won't be fat, but you'll see results quickly.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
Monitor calories and increase deficit. If I was you, I wouldn't even count whatever calories I burned at the gym against the deficit. If you start eating at a 500-700 calories deficit, you'll probably drop 3-5 pounds in the first week, most of which won't be fat, but you'll see results quickly.

Well, just using the estimated 2000 calorie standard, I try to eat around like 1700 or 1800, then if I go to the gym, that number can become more like 1000-1100. So it's not like on gym days I am allowing myself to eat 2500, I try to eat around the same calorie amount each day, but gyms days obviously are a bonus.

Also, ordered a Fit Bit Charge 2 as well, just to get a better idea of my daily activity. I'm excited to see how it estimates my calories burned during my volleyball tournament tomorrow.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:49 PM)
Well, just using the estimated 2000 calorie standard, I try to eat around like 1700 or 1800, then if I go to the gym, that number can become more like 1000-1100. So it's not like on gym days I am allowing myself to eat 2500, I try to eat around the same calorie amount each day, but gyms days obviously are a bonus.

Also, ordered a Fit Bit Charge 2 as well, just to get a better idea of my daily activity. I'm excited to see how it estimates my calories burned during my volleyball tournament tomorrow.

As somebody who owns and uses a fitness tracker, don't trust them. Trust the mirror and the scale.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 07:34 AM)
As somebody who owns and uses a fitness tracker, don't trust them. Trust the mirror and the scale.

I was just going to ask this question, because for Thursday, it says I burned 4500 calories, and that doesn't even include the hour+ I was in the pool. So probably more like 5000 calories. That includes being at the gym, and also my volleyball tournament, but still, seems really high. I guess I'll have to see how what it's like on a typical work day. I would guess somewhere around 2500.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
I was just going to ask this question, because for Thursday, it says I burned 4500 calories, and that doesn't even include the hour+ I was in the pool. So probably more like 5000 calories. That includes being at the gym, and also my volleyball tournament, but still, seems really high. I guess I'll have to see how what it's like on a typical work day. I would guess somewhere around 2500.

What did you do at the gym exactly? Unless you're prepping for a marathon, I'm going assume your Fitbit is broken as f***.

And now today, without the gym at all, it says 4235 calories burned. Now I did work today, and take the dogs on a walk, so I did over 9 miles of walking (19,000+ steps), but considering I average 13K+ steps during a work day, I feel like if I am really burning 4000 calories or so on a work day, then I should be shedding pounds like crazy. Maybe I eat a lot worse than I think I do.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 12:26 AM)
And now today, without the gym at all, it says 4235 calories burned. Now I did work today, and take the dogs on a walk, so I did over 9 miles of walking (19,000+ steps), but considering I average 13K+ steps during a work day, I feel like if I am really burning 4000 calories or so on a work day, then I should be shedding pounds like crazy. Maybe I eat a lot worse than I think I do.

What kind of work are you doing where you do over 9 miles of walking? That would require like 3 to 5 hours of movement depending on your pace. Also, I assume these numbers include your resting metabolic rate? If so, I could see 3,000 to 3,500 calories burned a day max depending on the intensity of your workouts.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 05:55 AM)
What kind of work are you doing where you do over 9 miles of walking? That would require like 3 to 5 hours of movement depending on your pace. Also, I assume these numbers include your resting metabolic rate? If so, I could see 3,000 to 3,500 calories burned a day max depending on the intensity of your workouts.

Well like I said, yesterday was 4200 calories WITHOUT working out, just going to work and then walking the dogs.

I am constantly walking for my job, 8 1/2 hours a day, so I totally believe that I do 7+ miles on a daily shift.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 08:41 PM)
Everybody burns calories at a different rate. But I do believe some of the new fitness watches aren't that far off.

I noticed my female cousin (who is petite) posted a pic of her fitbit today, and it showed that she walked 9 miles over the course of her day, and burned something like 2400 calories. So my something like nearly twice her weight accounted for about 2000 more calories burned. I guess that makes sense. The 2000 default burned mark isn't rated for big fatties like myself. :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just exercised for the second time since April 2017 - like actual exercise. Some background - I've never been great about being active. I was always the skinny dude growing up, but once I hit college and was done with high school sports, and especially once I discovered beer, my body has gotten kind of sloppy looking. I'd get on a kick where I'd try and at least run a few times a week, or do something, but nothing constant. I was on that kick last spring too, actually went for a run over lunch on April 18 - later that day my dad passed away from a heart attack, coincidentally after working out, as he was trying to lose some weight after retirement (and was down 10 pounds just by light exercise and eating better than before.) The funny thing was, he had A-fib and was actually getting his heart checked fairly regularly, and everything was good (at least we thought). Either way, naturally, after my dad died, everything was allllll f***ed up in my life for about the rest of the summer. You get drained of energy and free time is a different concept. Then, as some of you know, my job is one that is often hectic at times - I actually have great access to workout facilities, but at the same time you want to get away from work when you have the free time because you are there enough. To boot, I sometimes have neck pain that is often exacerbated when I exercise. All of this would amount to excuses, but I know they are. Now that I'm coming up on about a year, I'm trying to at least make that first step of making that first step again. I'm not worried that I'm gonna drop dead like my dad after a workout now, but I am that in 35 years I might. I'm not trying to run a marathon, but I am trying to feel better about myself. I'm a very left brain guy (if I go for a run, I have to have my fitbit going and know how far I ran to be able to quantify what i've done) but I want to be happier simply by what I see in the mirror at this point.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 07:17 PM)
Just exercised for the second time since April 2017 - like actual exercise. Some background - I've never been great about being active. I was always the skinny dude growing up, but once I hit college and was done with high school sports, and especially once I discovered beer, my body has gotten kind of sloppy looking. I'd get on a kick where I'd try and at least run a few times a week, or do something, but nothing constant. I was on that kick last spring too, actually went for a run over lunch on April 18 - later that day my dad passed away from a heart attack, coincidentally after working out, as he was trying to lose some weight after retirement (and was down 10 pounds just by light exercise and eating better than before.) The funny thing was, he had A-fib and was actually getting his heart checked fairly regularly, and everything was good (at least we thought). Either way, naturally, after my dad died, everything was allllll f***ed up in my life for about the rest of the summer. You get drained of energy and free time is a different concept. Then, as some of you know, my job is one that is often hectic at times - I actually have great access to workout facilities, but at the same time you want to get away from work when you have the free time because you are there enough. To boot, I sometimes have neck pain that is often exacerbated when I exercise. All of this would amount to excuses, but I know they are. Now that I'm coming up on about a year, I'm trying to at least make that first step of making that first step again. I'm not worried that I'm gonna drop dead like my dad after a workout now, but I am that in 35 years I might. I'm not trying to run a marathon, but I am trying to feel better about myself. I'm a very left brain guy (if I go for a run, I have to have my fitbit going and know how far I ran to be able to quantify what i've done) but I want to be happier simply by what I see in the mirror at this point.

So how was the workout?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 11:08 PM)
Weighed in at 240.8 on Saturday. Only down 3 since I started my gym membership, but I was also had a weigh in at 247 last week because of all the s*** food from my birthday week.

It's sad seeing this from 6 months ago and realizing I am usually around 245-248 now. I guess I can probably blame some of that on the holidays and the cold weather killing a lot of motivation to go outside or go to the gym, but I was still hoping to be under 230 by now. I also wonder how much not playing volleyball right now actually affects that too. Next league starts up February 8th, so hopefully that helps me get down to 240 again soon.