*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
I think a lot of these formulas, while they can be useful for some baseline stuff, are overrated and overused. I've never been a huge fan of any "one size fits all" approaches to fitness as different people will respond to different workouts in different ways.

Diet and consistency will fix any issue a person has...if you want size, you can't utilize the same diet as a person that's trying to shed weight, for example.

Cutting bodyfat WHILE adding size can be a very difficult proposition for many, but it was quite easy for me...but that's genetics, and those genetics allow me to get away with a LOT that others would not be able to get away with.

That's why this one is better than most. It uses the individuals resting heart rate as a variable. There are definite levels of exertion than are needed to work the body properly and others that work the body too hard. You need to be sure the workout is safe for a person to handle.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
Thanks for all the info guys. Biggest thing I am going to change is varied workouts, and take less time between rep sets and workouts. Usually I check my phone for a couple minutes between doing stuff, and my heart rate dropping probably hurts the workout.

Oh speaking of heart rate, the elliptical, after I put in my info and on "Fat Burn" category, puts my target heart rate at 123 BPM. However, I am usually going pretty fast and my heart rate is at a steady 145+, peaking around 160 sometimes. Is this alright? My heart isn't going to explode is it? lol. I'm assuming my heart rate being as high as possible will burn fat at a more rapid pace, right?

Joe, let me give you some high level advice. The most important thing you need to realize is this going to be a long process and you have to be committed to it from start to finish. It's going to require sacrifice and you may not see results immediately, but it will eventually pay off if you stick with it.

Now for some specific advice that's worked for me. Your initial goal should be getting into a workout rhythm. Don't overthink it, just find an exercise routine that's impactful but can be done 3 or 4 times a week. My recommendation would be to start with a low intensity cardio workout that can be done for a long duration (50+ minutes). One thing I highly recommend is to workout on an incline whenever possible as it's an easy, low stress way to burn some extra calories. Some basic strength training is fine, but I wouldn't recommend overdoing it right away. And during these early stages, don't go nuts with the calorie cutting. Obviously don't eat fast food multiple times a week, but reward your body for the work you are doing. Those first few weeks will be rough no matter what and the goal is simply not to quit.

Once get into a rhythm however, then start taking your diet more seriously. Try to eat healthy as much possible without starving yourself and cut back on the drinking as much as the social life will allow. Gradually increase the intensity during this time period and you will start seeing the pounds fall off. Eventually your body will adjust and your weight will start to plateau. This is when I recommend switching to high intensity intervals training. At this point you should be ready for something much more intense and HIIT workouts are without question the best. Eventually you can also start expanding your strength training exercises, but IMO that should come last. Get I into good cardio shape before you worry muscle development/toning.

If you do the above, there's no reason you couldn't lose a good 30 to 40 pound in 3 to 4 months and still enjoy yourself from time to time.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
I have quite a bit of experience in this area. First and foremost, your goal is key...if it's weight loss, then a combination of cardio, weight training and diet are the answer.

Especially diet.

Nothing you're doing sounds bad or wrong...the key is to be consistent...and to keep being consistent even when you don't want to be. You can get a pre-workout to solve this issue...on those days where you just have no energy or don't wanna get up, pre-workouts will give you the kick in the ass you need. Just be careful with them, they're quite powerful because they're stimulants...and don't take them unless needed.

Be patient. The weight will come off over time...but you have to understand a few things. Sometimes the scale won't move in the right direction...that's due to your body adding muscle while it burns off fat. Muscle weights 5x as much as fat...so keep the number on the scale in mind that it's not the end all be all and understand that the scale has been bastardized by the fitness/supplement industry to accomplish one thing -- to separate you from your money.

As you get in better shape, you may find you look great at your current weight, because that has a lot to do with where the weight is on your frame, versus an arbitrary number on a scale. If when you're in shape you look great at 250 pounds, then don't worry about getting to 240 simply for the sake of a number, etc.

What is a "pre workout"?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
No.

There is such a thing as heart rate zones, wherein your body will burn different types of fuel depending on how hard your heart is having to pump blood throughout your muscles.

Google heart rate zones or heart rate training.

Generally, the fat burning zone is going to be zone 2, which is generally going to be 65-75% of your maximum heart rate, depending on your age, fitness level, and a number of other factors. The standard, albeit not necessarily correct method of calculating your maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age. So if you are 23, your maximum heart rate would be 197 according to this method. It is likely that it is somewhere in that area.

Therefore, your ideal fat burning zone would be between 65-75% of 197. This equals a range of 128 and 148. If your heart is beating somewhere in that range you are likely burning a lot of stored fat. So the 145 you are at is probably pretty good for burning fat!

If you are getting up to 160 or so, you are probably in zone 3, which is a zone where you will begin burning some readily available carbs that you ate recently. This isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, but if your goal is to lose weight, you would do best to train more in zone 2.

As your heart has to work harder, your body begins to burn more carbs because it requires less oxygen than burning fat.

Wow, interesting stuff. So I'll try to keep maintaining that 145 bpm range and not worry about pushing myself over 150, like I had been.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 10:09 PM)
Joe, let me give you some high level advice. The most important thing you need to realize is this going to be a long process and you have to be committed to it from start to finish. It's going to require sacrifice and you may not see results immediately, but it will eventually pay off if you stick with it.

Now for some specific advice that's worked for me. Your initial goal should be getting into a workout rhythm. Don't overthink it, just find an exercise routine that's impactful but can be done 3 or 4 times a week. My recommendation would be to start with a low intensity cardio workout that can be done for a long duration (50+ minutes). One thing I highly recommend is to workout on an incline whenever possible as it's an easy, low stress way to burn some extra calories. Some basic strength training is fine, but I wouldn't recommend overdoing it right away. And during these early stages, don't go nuts with the calorie cutting. Obviously don't eat fast food multiple times a week, but reward your body for the work you are doing. Those first few weeks will be rough no matter what and the goal is simply not to quit.

Once get into a rhythm however, then start taking your diet more seriously. Try to eat healthy as much possible without starving yourself and cut back on the drinking as much as the social life will allow. Gradually increase the intensity during this time period and you will start seeing the pounds fall off. Eventually your body will adjust and your weight will start to plateau. This is when I recommend switching to high intensity intervals training. At this point you should be ready for something much more intense and HIIT workouts are without question the best. Eventually you can also start expanding your strength training exercises, but IMO that should come last. Get I into good cardio shape before you worry muscle development/toning.

If you do the above, there's no reason you couldn't lose a good 30 to 40 pound in 3 to 4 months and still enjoy yourself from time to time.

The excuse I've given myself to finally work out is that I am the best man in my best friend's wedding at the end of August. So I've decided I want to shed some weight for the wedding. Maybe 15-20 pounds would be cool. My worry is that once the wedding and summer is over, that I will be too lazy again. HOPEFULLY, if I really stick with this for 3 months, at that point it will be enough of a habit that I won't completely stop or revert.

My *ultimate goal* is to be 200 pounds. I realize that's still not lean, but I currently weigh 245, and most people guess I am about 200 right now anyway. I've been an athlete all my life in many different sports, so I think I wear my weight relatively well, plus probably have decent amount of muscle under this flab. lol. So I'm pretty excited to see what 200 looks like. And considering I was 273 a year or two ago, that should be a rather huge difference.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 10:14 PM)
What is a "pre workout"?

Usually some sort of mix of beta-alanine and caffeine...they're stimulants. I rarely use them, but if I hit one of those days where I Just don't feel like doing anything, I'll take it and it ends that. ;)

I'd recommend caution using these...they're not for daily usage, but they work.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
Haven't gone through the thread in a while. Thinking about changing things up, what are general thoughts on the keto diets?

I've experimented with it before so I can answer some questions. Why are you looking to do it though? I can't imagine you're trying to lose weight.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
Haven't gone through the thread in a while. Thinking about changing things up, what are general thoughts on the keto diets?

I've never been a fan of any diet that starves a specific category of food, specifically because it can become hard to follow during certain times of the year depending on what food is readily available to you. Unless you want to be the type that goes to someones BBQ or party and brings their own food because they can't eat X, Y, or Z.

I'm under the firm belief that balance is everything...and restrictive diets -- while there is no doubt they work -- they only do so short term because eventually you'll fall off this diet restriction, and the moment that happens, you'll lose everything you've worked for. The goal is to get to where you want to be WITHOUT carb starving, or fat starving, etc...eat less, but better foods. I have no restrictions on what I eat. I eat protein (meat, milk, etc.), carbs, fat, sugar, etc...I just don't eat until I'm sick. I also eat healthy whenever possible, but when not possible (such as in the above example), I'll simply eat less of the unhealthy stuff without outright not eating it at all. For example, instead of drinking an entire bottle of wine, I'll have 1 or 2 glasses and be done...

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
I tried pre workout years ago and I'd get nauseated halfway through workout so ditch it.

I usually eat a peanut butter sandwich an hour before.

That's a LOT of calories. If you're trying to build muscle, that's a good way to go...but peanut butter is calorie dense, and for people trying to shed weight or bodyfat, I'd recommend against this.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
I've never been a fan of any diet that starves a specific category of food, specifically because it can become hard to follow during certain times of the year depending on what food is readily available to you. Unless you want to be the type that goes to someones BBQ or party and brings their own food because they can't eat X, Y, or Z.

I'm under the firm belief that balance is everything...and restrictive diets -- while there is no doubt they work -- they only do so short term because eventually you'll fall off this diet restriction, and the moment that happens, you'll lose everything you've worked for. The goal is to get to where you want to be WITHOUT carb starving, or fat starving, etc...eat less, but better foods. I have no restrictions on what I eat. I eat protein (meat, milk, etc.), carbs, fat, sugar, etc...I just don't eat until I'm sick. I also eat healthy whenever possible, but when not possible (such as in the above example), I'll simply eat less of the unhealthy stuff without outright not eating it at all. For example, instead of drinking an entire bottle of wine, I'll have 1 or 2 glasses and be done...

I agree with the diets. Your body needs all of the different fuels for different time and activities. It's just keeping the ratios and targeting for various specific activities ie, a marathon.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
That's a LOT of calories. If you're trying to build muscle, that's a good way to go...but peanut butter is calorie dense, and for people trying to shed weight or bodyfat, I'd recommend against this.

Thanks but it's working fine for me.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
Thanks but it's working fine for me.

If you're goal is to lose weight, while it may work for you, it's not optimal.

You're basically fighting against this diet if in fact your goal is to shed bodyfat/weight.

Loading up on calorie dense fat and carbs before a workout is essentially negating the calorie burn from the workout. I'd only recommend this type of pre-workout for someone trying to add size.

--

You can also eat at McDonalds everyday if you go to the gym and burn off the 1500 calories you ingest without gaining weight...but again, not optimal. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
If you're goal is to lose weight, while it may work for you, it's not optimal.

You're basically fighting against this diet if in fact your goal is to shed bodyfat/weight.

Loading up on calorie dense fat and carbs before a workout is essentially negating the calorie burn from the workout. I'd only recommend this type of pre-workout for someone trying to add size.

--

You can also eat at McDonalds everyday if you go to the gym and burn off the 1500 calories you ingest without gaining weight...but again, not optimal. ;)

It does depend on your goals. I have triathletes on 6000 calories per day. However as you say they need it because they are burning it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
It does depend on your goals. I have triathletes on 6000 calories per day. However as you say they need it because they are burning it.

Yep, most people of that category (triathletes) need that many calories because they'll burn that many (or more) and they want to maintain their current weight as a goal...they have the opposite problem a lot of dieters have in that they have to fight to keep weight on because of how much fuel they burn through in a given day.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 15, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)

Oh man, after my volleyball games tonight my team went to my favorite place to eat, Bombers BBQ, and we feasted. Thursdays are my gym days, so even though I was so full from the meal, I forced myself to go and put in my 5 miles and other activities. I felt like s*** and completely drained after, but I feel like all I probably did was turn a horrible meal in to just a bad meal. I guess that's better than just going home, but kind of a wasted day when you start to view it through a weight-loss oriented viewpoint.

EDIT: Sidenote, totally stuffed a dude in volleyball tonight. Must suck when a guy 100+ lbs more than you gets up and stuffs your spike attempt. Those always feel good, way more satisfying than a spike.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 02:56 AM)
Oh man, after my volleyball games tonight my team went to my favorite place to eat, Bombers BBQ, and we feasted. Thursdays are my gym days, so even though I was so full from the meal, I forced myself to go and put in my 5 miles and other activities. I felt like s*** and completely drained after, but I feel like all I probably did was turn a horrible meal in to just a bad meal. I guess that's better than just going home, but kind of a wasted day when you start to view it through a weight-loss oriented viewpoint.

EDIT: Sidenote, totally stuffed a dude in volleyball tonight. Must suck when a guy 100+ lbs more than you gets up and stuffs your spike attempt. Those always feel good, way more satisfying than a spike.

There is nothing wrong with doing this from time to time. But if you do it all the time, you’re fighting against your own goals and making workouts (if designed to lose weight) less effective.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 06:27 AM)
There is nothing wrong with doing this from time to time. But if you do it all the time, you’re fighting against your own goals and making workouts (if designed to lose weight) less effective.

What he said^

I have my own system that works for me because I'm happy exactly where I'm at.

I'm 27 now. When i was a freshman in college I realized i had a bit of a weight problem and was unhappy and depressed with it. 5'10", 230 lbs. Over the course of 6 months I lost 70 lbs by cutting drinking anything with sugar (besides beer) and stopped eating fried foods and exercising more. Once I got down to 160 I started weight lifting and put on about 15 lbs of muscle over the course of the next few years. I took this passion and experience into being a personal trainer at a private gym for 2 years after graduating.

I am no longer a personal trainer as I work a desk job now, but I still hang in the 175 lb range, except I've cut my body fat down and can see my abdominal muscles. I'm not that "no fun" guy that won't touch certain foods or anything like that. Pretty much, Monday until Friday after the gym I eat very healthy and workout every day. Whether its weights, going for a run, playing basketball, or softball, I keep things mixed up to still be enjoyable. Meal prep for the week on Sundays, have the same breakfast/lunch/dinner and I'm around 2000-2500 calories a day. Weekends I do whatever and eat and drink as much as I want. I know it won't work for everyone but I've found my happy place. I don't gain any weight, or lose any weight.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Anyone else subscribe to beachbody on demand? I've been doing the T25 workouts with my wife as well as mixing in some yoga a couple times a week. Might jump into the insanity stuff next.

I did Insanity a few years ago. It's a doozie. I definitely got in better shape from it and saw results. If I had my diet dialed in a little better while doing it I would have seen better. It is very tough though, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
Anyone else subscribe to beachbody on demand? I've been doing the T25 workouts with my wife as well as mixing in some yoga a couple times a week. Might jump into the insanity stuff next.

I've done pretty much all of them -- and they're great workouts, but they can be a bit rough on the body long term. I could never stick with any beach body routine for the long haul because they get monotonous really quickly.

I've settled on mixing it up, simply to keep things interesting.

I'll do walking aerobic exercises at home (these are my wife's videos, but they work).

I'll do Yoga -- I tend to do the P90X3 Yoga or DDP Yoga.

I'll lift weights or do resistance bands.

I'll do cardio at my work gym while I watch a movie on my phone.

I've found a mix of these things keeps things from getting boring, and it works long term.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
What he said^

I have my own system that works for me because I'm happy exactly where I'm at.

I'm 27 now. When i was a freshman in college I realized i had a bit of a weight problem and was unhappy and depressed with it. 5'10", 230 lbs. Over the course of 6 months I lost 70 lbs by cutting drinking anything with sugar (besides beer) and stopped eating fried foods and exercising more. Once I got down to 160 I started weight lifting and put on about 15 lbs of muscle over the course of the next few years. I took this passion and experience into being a personal trainer at a private gym for 2 years after graduating.

I am no longer a personal trainer as I work a desk job now, but I still hang in the 175 lb range, except I've cut my body fat down and can see my abdominal muscles. I'm not that "no fun" guy that won't touch certain foods or anything like that. Pretty much, Monday until Friday after the gym I eat very healthy and workout every day. Whether its weights, going for a run, playing basketball, or softball, I keep things mixed up to still be enjoyable. Meal prep for the week on Sundays, have the same breakfast/lunch/dinner and I'm around 2000-2500 calories a day. Weekends I do whatever and eat and drink as much as I want. I know it won't work for everyone but I've found my happy place. I don't gain any weight, or lose any weight.

I'm 41 (42 in August), and I've cut my bodyfat down to ~8% right now...and that's with "cheating" -- such as tonight, when I go to Buffalo Wild Wings and drink Blue Moons and eat wings with ranch dressing and cheese curds. :)

Other than that, during the week we seem to eat very similarly, except I probably eat less calories as I'm 5'6" ~143lbs...I am pretty muscular though, more so than people would think given my weight (which is because I have little fat on me these days).

And I have to say, being 41, it feels good.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 07:39 AM)
I've, uh, acquired some of their stuff through absolutely 100% legal means. My wife really loved T25 and it got her into the best shape in her life. Beast Body helped me put on 12 pounds (I've always had a Chris Sale-like physique)

;)