Harry Caray statue at Wrigley defaced

Balta1701

There was never a more entertaining broadcast team than Harry and Jimmy piersall. However Harry defected and worse he commited treason when he went to the northside. He turned into a buffoon as the years went by and the assosciation is overwhelmingly Cubs.

As for the statue? The Cubs deface the whole city just by their existence so paint away boys. They deserve no respect especially the traitor Carey.

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
There was never a more entertaining broadcast team than Harry and Jimmy piersall. However Harry defected and worse he commited treason when he went to the northside. He turned into a buffoon as the years went by and the assosciation is overwhelmingly Cubs.

As for the statue? The Cubs deface the whole city just by their existence so paint away boys. They deserve no respect especially the traitor Carey.

The phrase "Harry Defected" implies that Harry Carey made the decision to leave for the north side despite the Sox wanting him back.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that, much like John Rooney, the Sox actually let him walk.

linky

Reason for Inclusion: Harry left the Sox after the 1981 season amid griping from players that he too harshly and frequently criticized them (in his defense, the club lost an average of 83 games a year in that ten-year-span) to work for the Cubs, of all teams; the Cubs’ offer, ironically, was less than what the Sox offered him, although the Sox’ move to SportsVision meant a smaller audience; Caray then changed his allegiance from Falstaff beer to Budweiser, a doubly-ironic move in light of Caray’s alleged firing from the St. Louis Cardinals for an affair kept up with Mrs. Augustus A. Busch, Jr.; Caray complained later the Sox wanted him to be a “company man,” although as Cubs broadcaster he became enough of a homer to make his successor look impartial; made South Side-born tradition of singing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” incorrectly synonymous with North Side baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)
The phrase "Harry Defected" implies that Harry Carey made the decision to leave for the north side despite the Sox wanting him back.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that, much like John Rooney, the Sox actually let him walk.

After the free wheeling days of Veeck The new owners wanted a tamer Carey. While negotiations were going on the Cubs ( not known for the freedom they give their broadcasters ) made him an offer he jumped on. He knew the feelings in the city about the rivalry but also knew due to super station status of WGN he could get more exposure , and go back to his National League roots ( St. Louis ). He went from face of the White Sox to number one Cubbie. He is no hero to me.

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
After the free wheeling days of Veeck The new owners wanted a tamer Carey. While negotiations were going on the Cubs ( not known for the freedom they give their broadcasters ) made him an offer he jumped on. He knew the feelings in the city about the rivalry but also knew due to super station status of WGN he could get more exposure , and go back to his National League roots ( St. Louis ). He went from face of the White Sox to number one Cubbie. He is no hero to me.

I don't know that I thought he was a hero...the question is, should we regard him as a villain?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
I don't know that I thought he was a hero...the question is, should we regard him as a villain?

I guess I'm being a little harsh. There were many factors involved. I just don't care if they melt down the statue and implode the stadium. Vandalism does make Sox fans look bad, like the stereotype, but I'm not convinced it was a Sox fan. You think you will see a Harry statue outside The Cell any time soon?

Edited by since56

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)

No. Indifference probably the best option. The main point is that the statue is on enemy grounds, representing the enemy. I'd like to see a strap-on screwed on during the crosstown series this year; maybe use some Tapcons soaked in liquid nails to assure its permanence.