Congressman Christopher Lee (R-NY) Resigns

Balta1701

Really, I'm more stunned that this was all it took to get him to resign.

I'd assume that there has to be a lot more than this that he now expects to come out. I'll be genuinely surprised if there isn't.

Hell, a Senator jsut got re-elected despite having visited prostitutes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
Really, I'm more stunned that this was all it took to get him to resign.

I'd assume that there has to be a lot more than this that he now expects to come out. I'll be genuinely surprised if there isn't.

Hell, a Senator jsut got re-elected despite having visited prostitutes.

True. Maybe he's hoping he can prevent the other stuff from coming out by just resigning now. At least stay in office and hope for some good damage control?

The speed of Lee's resignation indicated a culture of zero tolerance by House Republicans for potentially controversial behavior so soon after winning control of the chamber for the first time since 2007.

:notworthy I wish the Dems would follow suit when it happens to someone with a (D) after their name.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
:notworthy I wish the Dems would follow suit when it happens to someone with a (D) after their name.

WTF?

Name a D who has been established to have had personal improprieties and not almost immediately resigned? There's enough Republicans who qualify on that list to form their own caucus.

You can go for financial improprieties and a few Dems will show up, but a few Republicans will show up as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 07:45 AM)
WTF?

Name a D who has been established to have had personal improprieties and not almost immediately resigned? There's enough Republicans who qualify on that list to form their own caucus.

You can go for financial improprieties and a few Dems will show up, but a few Republicans will show up as well.

William Clinton? Gary Hart? Gary Condit?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 07:45 AM)
WTF?

JFK RFK. Is that going back too far?

Good points on the other names. I'll use the "8:30 a.m." excuse on that one.

That said, Tex, where do you get the idea that somehow this puts the Republicans on a pedestal above the Dems?

notworthy.gif I wish the Dems would follow suit when it happens to someone with a (D) after their name.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Good points on the other names. I'll use the "8:30 a.m." excuse on that one.

That said, Tex, where do you get the idea that somehow this puts the Republicans on a pedestal above the Dems?

That said, Balta, where do you get the idea that somehow I said this puts the Republicans on a pedestal above the Dems?

I mearly stated that this is the kind of behavior that I applaud from politicians and hope both sides do this. One article talked about a zero tolerance from the GOP, I hope they continue and I hope the Dems follow along.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
I mearly stated that this is the kind of behavior that I applaud from politicians and hope both sides do this. One article talked about a zero tolerance from the GOP, I hope they continue and I hope the Dems follow along.

Really, over the years, I certainly haven't gotten the impression that you have done that.

First of all, if this is zero tolerance for the GOP, I'd hate to see their version of tolerance. Do you mean zero tolerance for extra-marital affairs if no money exchanges hands? (note, this is not an effort to defend any Democrat)

Secondly, I believe we've heard over and over from you that it ought to be up to the voters to decide whether a person who has done non-illegal things like marital infidelity should be disqualified, not whether or not it draws national attention. Am I incorrect in that regard?

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
That said, Balta, where do you get the idea that somehow I said this puts the Republicans on a pedestal above the Dems?

You'll have to forgive me for thinking "zero tolerance" is a crock of s***. If this had been a Congressman in the GOP leadership, I don't think he would have been nearly as quick to bail out. This is a caucus led by someone who was passing out lobbyist checks on the House floor before a vote.

And the Dems don't have to follow along anyone to be responsible. They have, by and large, been responsible - stripping "Freezercash" Jefferson of his leadership posts when that whole thing blew up, pressuring Rangel out of his leadership roles and pushing him to the back bench when his controversy blew up. That's acting responsibly.

I would wager that resigning because you put your personal "Guys with iPhone" picture on Craigslist to try and cheat on your wife is the opposite of responsible behavior. Personally? I'm team adulterer here. If he was pressured to resign for personal behavior having nothing to do with his job as Congressman, I fail to see why this is anyone's business. What you do on your own clock is your own business as long as its legal. And last time I checked, topless internet snaps of yourself still is legal. If not, I need a lawyer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Really, over the years, I certainly haven't gotten the impression that you have done that.

First of all, if this is zero tolerance for the GOP, I'd hate to see their version of tolerance. Do you mean zero tolerance for extra-marital affairs if no money exchanges hands? (note, this is not an effort to defend any Democrat)

Secondly, I believe we've heard over and over from you that it ought to be up to the voters to decide whether a person who has done non-illegal things like marital infidelity should be disqualified, not whether or not it draws national attention. Am I incorrect in that regard?

Fair comments. The voters only have a choice from those people willing to serve, so I don't see any hypocrisy in my views if the guy choses to resign.

I believe I have championed moral and ethical behavior from our leaders. I can't think of a situation, but I would appreciate knowing if you can remember one. I always enjoy examining the spec in my eye.

And I am waiting for the other shoe(s) to fall. If he did chose to stay and not resign I could easily find myself defending that choice.